+ Reply to Thread

Thread: GAS LINES and FLOWER BEDS

Blog Entries

GAS LINES and FLOWER BEDS

When I stepped out to gather todays' mail I spied a series of little yellow flags straight down the middle of the easement between the sidewalk and the street. As I followed the little yellow flags I noticed they took a turn to the left, right into and bi-secting my flower beds. Yes, plural! First the border bed that edges the side walk, then into the mound bed and through it to a small bed that spans the distance between the door-yard bed and the neighbors planting of Yuccas. The flags continued into the NE bed where I still have daylilies, astilbies and a few odd bulbs. The last flaf stopped just short of a very large clump of 'King Alfred' Daffodils.

There are 24 plants in the direct line of these flags and about 10 or 12 inches to either side. We all know that that will not be the only area that will be involved. There will be the back-hoe operator and at least 4 superintendents standing around and supervising the digging. They are going to destry my flower beds!

No one has knocked on my door, no letter of intent has been received (yet) and I have no idea when they think they will be bring this mass destruction down on my flower beds. That kind of tics me off.

It's nice out today, but the ground is still pretty much unworkable. Winter is returning this week end (so says the weatherman) and the ground will once again be forzen. Frozen ground is not a deterient for a powerful back-hoe, not even the small crawler types. I've seen some of the trenches they dig; they are deep and the area "disturbed" is at least 4 feet wide! And that doesn't account for all the standing around and supervising that gets done.

I don't have a big problem with digging the plants up and getting them out of harms way as long as I have advanced notice of when they expect to start digging and they give me enough time to get everything moved. But I am really afraid they won't do that. A lot of the plants in this bed are irreplaceable (several of my daylily seedlings, Candy Lily seedlings, Siberian Iris seedlings) and many more have a lot of sentimental value, like the Ruben longfolium lily I got from Dr. Porter. There's even a rescued plant or two in the area.

I am beside myself with worry. There won't be any work done over the weekend and I have classes again the first part of next week, so I hope they don't do anything before I have a chance to call and find out something or track the workers down at their current work site and pummel them with questions.

I really don't need this at this time of the year. Sure hope they plan on talking to me BEFORE they dig, or someone will be getting a very large bill to cover the cost to replace everything - and it won't be cheap!

Thank you, I feel a little better now having gotten that out.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- OK, this is coming from the Queen of Flying off the Handle.....

1) As you said, call the utility company as soon as you can

or 2) In Kansas we have one number to call to have all underground utilities marked--and they should know who requested it.

2a) More flags(with different colors) may also pop up from other underground utilities--cable, water, electric.

2b)--here, homeowners routinely call that number prior to any digging ANYWHERE on their property--including rototilling and putting up a fence so they don't get a surprise.

2c) so I'd ask neighbors if they know what is going on

Yellow flags here is also for gas and they usually run along the street and just up to the house--not sure why they seem to cut such a wide swath there. You might have a little tiem as I do not think any utility would start digging without knowing where the other utilities are. Cable is notorious for being only about 2 inches deep and running anywhere they get a notion to run it.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 02-03-2006 at 03:00 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    The Gas Company has actually been laying new lines for the last month, maybe six weeks and they are in my area so it won't be hard to track someone down. I just hope I find them working on Monday when I get out of class. I already know they won't be working when I come home for lunch!

I won't be "flying off the handle", unless they don't give me all the time I need to rescue my plant, then that will be a different story! Mess with me all you want, but you'd better not even think about messing with my plants or my kitties or my children (not necessarily in that order)! Of course the kids are way big enough now to take care of their own problems but there are a few cases where I cansee myself getting involved!

We have snow forecasted for this weekend, isn't that just lovely!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

It's going to get colder here, too! Above freezing according to the forecasts, but my little valley will get frosts for several mornings in a row. I need to change my alarm clock settings to get up 15 minutes earlier to remove frost from the wind shields.

I have found that most utility workers are great IF you are home when they arrive. The problem occurs when the start tromping through the beds to to do their deed.

Call the utillity company as soon as you can. Leave a printed message in a ziploc and attached to your plants so they cannot miss it. Ask them to notify you to schedule the digging. They can be flexible and work it out with you.

I agree, but one has to remember that if they have easement rights, you don't have much plant protection. So be nice, and offer them some refreshment when they are there to work. Do insist that if at all possible, you would like to be present.

What a bummer! I am glad my gas lines are already run along with all other utilities. I was fortunate to be here when they ran the water lines for city water. The workers were wonderful and ran the PVC just as I asked them too. After all, I was paying for them to do that work. But still, they were so very nice.

Hang in there and try not to stress to much over the weekend. There is not much you can do until Monday except to work out a plan.

Bless you! You have had your share, haven't you?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thanks "guys" for all your support and pep talk, I need that!

I'm so very happy I did not put a bed in that easement like I had wanted to last summer. Oy! Now that would have been a mess as the entire 10 - 12 feet by 4 feet area would have to be dug up! I think I would have had to be taken away in a little white coat if that had happened!

I like your idea for a note attached where they can't miss it and I beleive I even hava a zip lock bag just perfect for that purpose. I will work on the text for such a message over the weekend and get it out there just in case I might miss them or not be able toget in touch with the right people.

I'm stressing only mildly and that's more because of all the trouble I've already had with the arthritis this winter and am wondering how I would ever get plants moved in time. But as long as I can move the plants I'm really not all that concerned about having to move them or new gas lines being put in. Just think about how much easier it will be to work the earth when they are done! Might even come up with a new (and better) design. Poor daylilies though had just gotten used to being in the gound and now they poor darlings will have to be stuck in a pot again.

There was a lot of work I was planning to do to the front beds this year, just not all at once! and not over as wide of an area; just here and there. It will all work out, I hope. Wonder if I can get someone tohelp me move these plants? I'll dig, but it would be nice to have someone else dothe lifting and carrying. Even I don't know where everything is in that mound bed, too much is still quite dormant. Lilies won't even start to poke their noses up until the end of next month! It won't hurt to move them now, they won't even know it! I think the only thing that's gonna hurt will be my back! LAS!

I've already made a short list of the plants in the immediate area of the dig and the only problem plant I see so far is the TB White Iris and that rose bush! Would you believe it stil has green leaves on it! That's how lmild it has been this winter. And since it is not only close to the ground but next to the sidewalk, it get some reflected/radiant heat from the concrete.

You know, If I could get help I might even tackle a couple of other dig and divide/move jobs I've been putting off!

I'll neeed to talk with Phill, my neighbor about using more garden space; I was going to do that anyway for the daylily seedlings, now it looks like some other things might need a temporary home over there as well.

Speaking of "over there", we (the kitties and I) took a walk over to check out the seedlings today. I did find a few of the small seedlings that had heaved out so I poked them back down or scraped soil (more like mud) over them. The bigger plants looks really good - the ones I could see anyway. A lot of the markers have been heaved out or knocked over - saw many paw prints from someone's dog - fortunately I do have the bed mapped out so missing markers aren't that big of a problem. It does tell me I need to use longer markers and stick them in deeper!

Enough yabber from this dabber! Time for supper!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- So what's the latest ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Winter has returned and I haven't seen anyone doing any work on the gas lines, at least not in my neighborhood. I have noticed some areas where new lines of some sort have been laid under the street and they much have a machine that burrows as the street isn't torn up.

Haven't talked to anyone yet, either. Something I need to do just to be sure of what is going to happen and how soon. I'm really hoping I won't have to move anything out of the beds before April or March at the soonest. The beds need work, I just don't want to have to do it before I am ready to!

I am not longer in a panic over it though and that's a really good thing! Trying to get a plan in my head about what changes I need to make to the mound bed and the front border bed. The little ground cover rose bush does need to be moved, so it might get put up in the mound bed, although I hate to move things when they seem to be happy where they are.

Truth be told, the entire front yard needs to be re-done. Don't think I'm up to doing that much work though! Wish I had the where with all to do it like I'd really like to, with the inter-locking concret block retainers and all that really fancy stuff. I need to re-claime my path way around the mound bed too. Mums and snapdragons took over last year, and I'm takling about seedlings! I did manage to mark some of the prettier mum seedlings and will move them to somewhere they can be more easily cared for. All of the hardy Hibiscus need to be divided and several shrubs need major pruning jobs. Oriental liles need to be moved into more open spaces from where they ae now and Tiger lilies need to be moved to where they won't get into as much trouble! Plus I have some colored versions of "Tiger Lilies" that grow much shorter that need to be moved to where they will show better and where pedestrians won't pick them!

Once I can get out there and really do some work it will all come together, just hope it isn't too soon. Need to work on my little Iris bed too. It never stops!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread