+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy B-Day Jim Lang !

Blog Entries

Happy B-Day Jim Lang !

Happy B-Day to Jim Lang ! Looks to be a milestone b-day.

Where has Jim been at--last post was in 2004 ?!

Please check-in Jim !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

happy b day you ol ground hog.
    did you get outside to see your shadow?

Actually, there was a post in late August of last year. Someone may want to reply, and actually, I should because I have lots of southern recipes for vegetables and seafood. Unfortunately, most are in my head and a little of this and a little of that, and I know about how much, but never actually measure. I just learned from my Dad and other great cooks about how much to add of what to make it taste good. It helps to know what tastes blend nicely and which don't.

Anyway, I join in the "Happy Birthday" celebration for Jim. He is a great guy and one of Landspro's best members!

Here's one of his last posts....

http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...?threadid=3019
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thank you for the Birthday Wishes.

As some of you know I had to retire from Boys' Village and sell my place in Ohio. I had planned a nursery as a retirement business and was just getting started but health problems caused a change in plans.

Health has stabilized -- limits the heavy parts of gardening, but I still do a little bit.

Since moving to South Carolina - on the shore of Lake Marion. I have completed the Master Gardener Course but am still working on Volunteer hours -- Gardening has taken a back seat to fishing cooking, and writing -- but I am still interested.

I am working on several cookbook projects and if anyone has recipes they can share they would be more than welcome -- will acknowledge your participation and can give you a book if and when I am successful finding a publisher.

The Shrimp Cookbook is just about finished except for editing which is the hardest part and takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r if not longer.

The next project is a Gardener's Companion Cookbook. I made a list of all the vegetables (seeds) available to the home gardener then began collecting information of preparing them. Good recipes for home grown vegetables are still needed.

The recipe collecting process is just about complete for a book on Pickle Making -- I have been collecting recipes for 30+ years -- however, if anyone has recipes for pickles that are unique to specific regions of the USA or Canada there is room for a few more.

Further down the road will be one on Jams and Jelly, and maybe oysters and catfish. Still collecting recipes and beginning to test some.

Any and all help is appreciated -- and if you need a recipe let me know.

I am about to become a 5 time grandpa -- 4 live next door. #5 is from my youngest daughter and will live near Lancaster, PA.

I know it has been awhile since I have posted but I have checked in once in awhile -- glad you remembered me -- thank you.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful to hear from you Jim !
    Your request for pickle recipes jogged childhood memories of an actual pickle factory ! That prompted me to do an internet search and I found an article about that factory(sorry no recipes) but fun reading about how a trip to the pickle factory made lasting memories for many a visitor !

http://www.lieye.com/articles/pickles/default.shtml
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Good to hear from you, Jim!

When I was growing up, we would make shrimp salad without potatoes or noodles in it. The shrimp chopped into small pieces, then we would make a salad similar to the way that tuna fish is made. Finally chopped celery and onions are a nice addition, but optional.

When we fried shrimp, we would dip in flour, then in a mixture of egg/milk, then back in flour again (some salt, pepper optional). I later modified the flour mixture to have a tiny pinch of baking powder (not soda) in it for extra crispness. You will not usually find shrimp battered this way in restaurants because they cannot be pre-battered.

Large, 'white' shrimp can be sauteed in bacon grease and they are great! I have also had them wrapped in bacon with a toothpick to hold the bacon in place and cooked on a hot grill. Yummmm!

I combined a couple of refrigerator pickle recipes and found one that I really like that holds up well in the fridge. Soaking the slices of cucumber in brine overnight in the fridge will make them crispy. I use burpless cucumbers for that recipe. Sorry, but I would have to find my notes on that one. I also soak Vadillia onion slices in the same brine solution so that they stay crunchy.

Pickled okra is always better when the okra is young (small and fresh).

Gee, I miss my veggie garden!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Almost Forgot...

Do you have the recipe for the shrimp caserole that is made with small shrimp, rice, cream of mushroom soup and cream of celery soup (topped with cheese)? That's another childhood favorite. Rich, but GOOD!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Tip!

Do not use self-rising flower when making GUMBO. You will be mighty disappointed the next day when the Gumbo starts to rise (boil) without any heat. Ie., it will rise (boil) in the fridge.

Just a caution... I've seen several batches of gumbo ruined because of the wrong kind of flour - Plain only or you may have problems.

Hope that helps!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks for the tip I have included in the latest draft. Found recipes with noodles and with cream of celery soup but not both in the same shrimp recipe.

Here is one that uses Cream of Mushroom Soup.

Shrimp and noodle bake
    6 Servings

2 pounds shrimp, peeled & deveined
    6 cups water
    1 package (8-ounce) egg noodles
    cup sliced green onions
    cup chopped green pepper
    2 tablespoons butter, melted
    2 cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 carton (8-ounce) plain yogurt
    cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill or-
    teaspoon dried dill
    teaspoon ground white pepper
    teaspoon salt

Bring water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook for 3 minutes or until the shrimp begin to turn pink. Drain well; rinse with cold water and chill.

Chop half of shrimp, leaving remaining shrimp whole. Set aside.

Cook noodles according to directions. Drain.

Cook green onions and green pepper in butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add soup and yogurt, cheese, dill, salt and pepper. Gently stir in the chopped shrimp and noodles.

Spoon mixture into a lightly greased shallow 2 1/2-qt. casserole. Arrange whole shrimp on top of the casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 35 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Sorry your said rice not noodles. Anyway don't have one that includes rice and cream of celery soup either. Lots of rice and shrimp recipes but not one like that.

+ Reply to Thread