+ Reply to Thread

Thread: magnolia and crape myrtle seeds have germinated

magnolia and crape myrtle seeds have germinated

Wow
    thought that nothing was happening so I dug into the magnolia seeds pot, and found the beginning roots from the magnolia seeds coming out of the seed capsules....so we are on the road with these!!

Also put some Tonto and Red Rocket crape myrtle seeds in moist paper towels on last Friday and they have already germinated!!

Anyone need crape myrtle seeds that are viable, let me know!!

Linda
    Last edited by lbfoss; 02-02-2006 at 08:21 AM.
    Linda

If the seeds of the Crepe Myrtle are truly, truly red and not pink, I would love to have some. I have access to many pink ones, white ones and multi-colored ones.

It is hard to tell whether your seedlings will have blooms the same color as the parent, but if you can keep track of that, I would be curious as to what percentage look like the parent.

Have fun with the Crepe Myrtles. I have grown many dwarfs from seeds, and I like the pinks and lavenders the best. My larger ones have been given to me by others, but there is a dark red one that I spotted at Terminex that I would really like to take a cutting from, but won't without permission. I have never seen what that red before. It's very pretty, sort of a dark valentine's red.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I have 8 Red Rocket crape myrtles started (seeds sprouted) and they were a nice orange red when the parent bloomed. As you said, who knows what color they will become. They grow up to 15-20' tall, so the tag says. i want them to be a bit bushier and shorter, so I expect i will be trimming them from time to time.

I have been on crapemyrtle.com and i am going to order some of the new minis to grow in front of my azaleas for the summer out front. They apparently bloom from May to Oct and only get about 24" high, seems perfect and will eliminate the constant annual plantings needed there.

I have decided that if the c.m. seedlings actually survive planting and grow some I will use them for my living hedge. The Tontos should get to 6-10' and if i do a good job, they will be more bushes than trees for me.

I will also try to get some cuttings going from Red Rocket this spring and send you one if i am successful. I will send you some of the seeds if you just want to try them. They weren't as prolific as my Tonto seeds, but I did have 8 germinate, so I think they are viable. Just try them in a damp papertowel on a north facing windowsill and in a week you will have some sprouting!
    Linda

Linda,

Unless they are the dwarf variety, no matter how you prune them, over time, they will appear to look more like trees.

I have seeds from a lavender and a hot pink dwarf variety if you would like to try some of those. I plan to try to get your seeds sent to you this week.

I am going to start a half dozen of the zinnias and cm seeds that you sent to me tonight or tomorrow. They will going under lights in my 'propagation' room for the next two weeks and then I will move them to the greenhouse for two or three weeks before I chance planting them in sunny area of the garden.

The cm will stay in a pot for a little longer, but they will be transplanted to a 4" pot till the ground warms up a bit more.

Thanks, bunches! This is exciting!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The crape myrtle seeds i started 4 weeks ago are just now putting out their first true leaves. Seem to be very low growing but they are in south window lace curtain filtered sunlight and a heating pad under on low, not under lights. The magnolias are at the same stage, but I planted those in Nov, so they are definitely slower starting but I figure they might pass the cm seedlings in a week or two!

Thanks for the offer of more seeds, but I think I had best wait until I see how I do with this batch. If they all mostly survive, I will have way more than i can handle just repotting all of them.
    Thnaks, Linda
    Linda

Those same crepe myrtle seedlings are hardly bigger than the last report! A few have croaked, but most are with one pair of true leaves now, and they do look like crepe myrtle leaves. But, I doubt they will ever get much bigger!!!!! I thought I read here somewhere that ones grown from seed would bloom the first year. They seem to growing so VERY slowly, but I do compare them to my tomatoes which are easily 6" tall now and far bushier, and were started at the same time. I imagine getting them outside with help, but it is too windy this week, and I haven't any kind of a cold frame. I may cave and buy six from crepemyrtles.com for some guaranteed summer blooming, they have the dwarf hanging basket ones, and they seem intriguing!

Say, should a cold frame be in direct sunlight or not. I am so afraid of cooking my seedlings. I keep reading things on Mike McGroaty's Freeplants.com website and he seems to create "terariums" for his seedlings and apparently he is not worried about how hot it might get inside.

Linda
    Linda

Progress report. I ended up with about 25 surviving crape myrtle seedlings which I potted up and have eventually planted many or given them away. Most are between 16-30" in height, and they all have different branching and leaf habits, so none may be true from the seeds. Two have already turned a brillant orange-red, but none have bloomed this year so I still don't know what color they will bloom. the ones I planted early in the ground are the biggest at about 3 1/2' but didn't bloom. I hope they survive the winter and I will replace or remove those that don't please me next spring..... It was fun and I will do it again this winter. Anyone want some seeds as they will be mature soon!! Send me a PM, I started with Red rocket and Tonto
    Linda
    Linda

Another note on CM. I accidentally sprayed some dwarf Houston Crape Myrtle bushes with Sevin this fall and they all died promptly. guess that insecticide was toxic to them. I was quite unhappy with myself. But the powdery mildew spray I have used from Jerry Baker's recipes works very well and many have mentioned it online. It even worked wonderfully on my zucchini in August when they developed powdery mildewed leaves.
    Linda

Ouch!

I need to harvest some dwarf seeds for you. I do adore my dwarfs.

I think the school has planted hundreds of crepes. I can't wait to see what color they are going to be.

Is Jerry Baker's recipe a secret one that you have to pay for or can you share it?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, If you have any to share I would like a few dwarf crepe myrtle seeds,too. Thats something I don't have.
    tennessee sue

Share?!?!?!

There are so many that it is impossible to harvest them all.

I have lavender and hot pink. I don't know if I have any seeds on the white. It was clobbered by a tree and trying to make a come back. I'll have to check on it because it is also very pretty.

It's dark now, but I'll check when I get home tomorrow to see if any of the ripened pods still have seeds in them. There are lots and lots still that haven't completely ripened.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I can share it, but I need to look it up. I think it is baby shampoo, instant tea granules and hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle with added water. I will get the proportions and post it.

haven't tried this one but Here's a recipe to make your own spray:

1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 quart water
    A few drops of liquid soap

Or this was also on line
    spray of milk at a concentration of at least 10% (1 part milk to 9 parts water) significantly reduced the severity of powdery mildew.

Here it is courtesy of my spouse from home.....my favorite!!
    1 TBSP baby shampoo
    1 TBSP hydrogen peroxide
    1 tsp instant tea granules
    2 cups water
    all mixed in hand held sprayer, spray tops and undersides of leaves. I have found it cures the mildew in one application!!
    enjoy!

[U]
    Linda

Last year's crape myrtle seedlings now blooming. such a variety in size and colors, all from the same mom I think......Very tall and lavender, and very compact and cherry pink!! I even have a white. I have no idea how tall they will get, but some are obviosly reaching up to the sky and others are very branching and staying low....fun to see what comes from seeds??
    Attached Images  
    Linda

and the cherry bush sized one...Doesn't show up the color well, sorry.
    I took some cuttings from a very purple Cm about 12 feet tall and mature. I hope they will root this late in the year. I have never seen a truly purple CM, it is lovely.
    Attached Images  
    Linda

Linda,

My dwarfs that I started from seed 5 years ago are not truly dwarf (in my standards). They are what I would consider shrubs as opposed to small trees. I expected them to only get 4-5 feet tall, but currently, they are about 8 feet tall and very pretty.

It is definitely worth growing them from seed, but I have to tell you that I am amazed that they do not self sow very much. The normal sized ones seem to spread by roots, but not seeds.

The students at my school planted many crepe myrtles last year, and I must admit, I am enjoying the site of all the wonderful blooms this time of the year!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread