+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patience

Patience

All of you have been really patient with me the last 3 years. I wanted to share something with you that has happened in the last week. I think you will understand why I want to share it.

Remember that last semester, I taught Special Ed math. There was one particular student that was bright, but doing nothing and more intent on impressing his fellow students with the fact that he could get by with whatever he wanted. I tried very hard to reach him. I called his Mom. That didnít help. I called her again. She told me off saying that he needed one on one and always did. She said she would bring proof to the school. I insisted on a conference. She came to school. I demonstrated what we were doing in class, gave her copies of worksheets, told her what her son was doing (nothing). We paged the son 3 times to attend the conference. He never showed. The mother got the idea of what was going on. Her son failed my course.

Last week, he came to my class before school several times. Finally, he asked if he could sit in my class. I told him to get permission from his first block teacher, and I would welcome him to sit in my class. The next day, he came back to my class with a note from his teacher to send him back with a signed note before the end of class. He sat in my Algebra class and he did the work. He took notes on everything I said. He did more work in one block than I had seen him do in an entire semester in the special ed math class. When it was time for him to go, he folded his work, handed it to me, and I wrote him a pass to his regular class. I have to tell you that I was touched by his effort to reach out to me.

He now comes by every day to wave ďhiĒ to me. I know where he is in 3rd block, so when I can, I stop by to nod approval. Today, he was in the hallway with a pass to the restroom. It seems that he has grown three years older than last semester. I commented on his new haircut, that I really liked it. He grinned. I know he liked the approval but stated that he wanted to grow it long again and got it cut because his Dad made him. I recalled comments about his doing anything for his Mom, but his Dad and he did not get along. I smiled and told him that his new cut made him look more mature. I liked it. I told him again that he was welcome in my classroom anytime, just to make sure he had his teacherís permission. He smiled and honest to goodness, he is growing up.

That is only part of what I am trying to do... I hope you understand.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    It is so rewarding to find out that you actually did reach someone, even though you didn't know it at the time. The depth of his respect for you, and himself is just amazing.

We don't know what else has happened in his life since you had him in SE Math, but appearently something did and you had made such an impression on him that he felt it was the least he could do to show you he was listening to you after all.

This one young man makes that whole semester worth it, perhaps even the last three years.

I applaud you and I applaud him for having the courage to make a change in his life while he still had the time. I hope he continues down this road and does himself proud as well as his parents and all of his teachers, especially the ones who had crossed him off their lists as a looser.

I hope he does decide to return to your class several more times, especially when he needs a little extra encouragement!

Well done, Ann; well done.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread