+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crocus

Crocus

My potted crocus are still alive. I stuck my finger down into the soil a week ago to see if I could feel any bulbs. I felt one and was comforted to know that at least one was surviving.

This morning, I noticed that there are quite a few (more than I planted) showing new green growth. I don't know yet if they will bloom again this year, but I sure hope so! This is one of those bulbs that like cold winters.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann
    I have always had the impression that bulbs forced to flower would probably not flower the next season. Usually i force crocuses and paperwhites, sometimes tulips. After they have flowered I set them outside in shade and water them until they die back, store them in peat moss for the summer in a cool place and plant them in the ground for fall. The paperwhites sometimes bloom the following spring, but the crocuses and tulips may just show growth and no floweres for a year. But, I do have the cold winters (zone 7). Nuts, there is a bird stuck in the gutters, must get on the roof and free it.
    Bye
    Linda

Linda,

I agree with the forced bulb issue, but these weren't forced. They are in pots instead of in the ground because of our heavy rains in the winter/spring.

I am trying this for plants/bulbs that need chill hours in the winter and do not like wet feet.

Still, I will be pleasantly surprised if they bloom because this winter has been extremely mild (knock on wood). I see that they are forecasting several more cold fronts in the next two weeks, but they are lows in the 30's rather than mid 20's. It's the mid 20's and below that get some of my sub-tropicals, but help some of these spring flowering bulbs.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, I hope it works, it is so nice to have the crocuses come up sometimes by early Feb here and perk the gray days up.
    Good luck, I am going to order some sparaxis, they are in all the catalogs and i have never seen them offered as bulbs in the stores here. If I get them planted, I might get some for this spring?? Our ground hasn't frozen yet!!
    Linda
    Linda

Linda,

I saw on another thread that you found your Sparaxis. My Sparaxis haven't bloomed yet either, but I haven't given up on those.

The Crocus, however, are showing their pretty little foliage with variation in color that reminds me of tiny spider lily leaves. I don't think we had enough cold this year for them to bloom. Maybe, next year. At least they lived.

I bought some hyacinth bulbs at 75% off clearance. They were sprouting before I got them into pots (which was today) This will be my first time to try to overwinter these in pots. I have grown them in the ground, but they dwindle to nothingness in a few years. But, gee, at the price I got them for, they could be annuals.

Goodness! Can you tell that I have a weakness for bulbs?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann and Linda,
    Sure is nice to see crocus. They are one of my favorites because they bloom so early. My neighbor has a big patch of them that is in bloom now. They used to be the first flower I would see each year until I got some miniature iris (at Lowes). I went out today and had 2 blooms on my vinca. I have never seen it this early. I was thrilled to see ir. I guess the guy delivering my dryer thought I was crazy going on over a couple of little blooms.
    I have been computerless for a couple of months now and I sure have missed all my friends at Landspro. I will be up all night catching up.
    Linda I got some Sparaxis a couple of years ago also at Lowes. They were beautiful but short lived for me.
    tennessee sue

Sue!

I have been thinking about you for days on end, wondering how in the world I could contact you.

It's so very good to have you back. Gosh! I have missed you!!!!

It's time to dig up your purple lady banks and ship this week if at all possible. It can wait if you are not ready, but right now it is sort of semi dormant. It has gotten huge. I will have to sever some roots and cut the pot apart, The canes are about 5' tall, so some of those will have to be cut back to reduce transpiration.

Are you ready or would you rather I wait until spring break. I am off this week, and it sure has turned out to be beautiful here. Gonna get hot, though. Highs in the upper 70's on some days.

Do you think winter is over?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

My crocuses have pretty much quit blooming annually, but I do have a zillion, and i mean that, of grape hyacinths, short little guys that smell like grapes when they bloom, are looking like tiny hyacinths of a sort and spread like weeds everywhere!! In the lawn, in the garden edging. But the leaves generally remain green all summer and flop over. I dig them up like weeds and discard them sometimes in large clumps. they are impossible to contain as they spread by seed and by bulblets. I confess I love the smell but get frustrated trying to contain them. I think I dug some up last fall and the clump is living happily on my porch edge out of dirt and growing just fine. they usually bloom in May. If I pay attention, I am certain I could gather up some seeds and pass them along. I usually pick all the blooms I can to stop them from reseeding, but I could let a few go and try to collect the seeds. Anyone want some??
    Linda

Ann, It is so good to be back. I finally bought myself a computer but am still having some problems getting it set up right but hopefully can stay up and running.
    I am ready for my Lady Banks anytime it is convenient for you. It has been warm here the last few days but is turning cold again today. I'm sure winter isn't over for us here.We had an unusually warm and wet winter. We had no snow until Feb. My crocus are just bloominf and my daffodils are in bud. I love spring flowers, they give so much hope and anticipation. Yesterday I saw my first bluebird. They are so beautiful.
    I am trying to get my house fixed up now so when it gets warmer I can get to work on my yard. I still have beds to clean out and we want to build a patio and maybe build a porch on the front of the house. It would be like a sun room. I am really missing my greenhouse and nursery right now. I might try to get back into thre business next year but this year I have too much catching up to do around here.
    My Mom has been sick and I have been staying with her again. She had a mass in her lung (so they thought). Turned out it was behind the lung and was a mass of tangled nerves. They were finally able to femove it and she is fine now. We spent 2 months of h... thinking she had cancer. But prayers are answered and all is fine now.
    I have really missed you all and am glad to be back.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

Send me a Private Message with your postal address. I doubt that I manage to get the rose dug today. It is too hot, and I do mean hot, but it is supposed to cool down starting tomorrow, and I could dig it tomorrow afternoon and have it ready to package up and send to you Saturday or the first part of next week.

One of the others that I rooted has produced tiny little red rose hips. I'm going to give those a try to see what happens to them.

Keep your eyes open for an antique rose called The Fairy. You would absolutely love that one, and propagates easily. I recently purchased a bare root 'Seven Sisters' which is similar to what I have pictured on the propagating rose page of LP, but since I started that from a cutting on the side of the road, I couldn't be sure.

We sure have missed you, too!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread