+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Curb Appeal

Congrats, Cathy--

How's the settling in going? I'm not at all crazy about moving, but it is an opportunity to go thru everything, re-organize what you keep, create new spaces.

We are in the process of finishing an addition--doing lots of painting (sore muscles), so I can appreciate what you are going thru.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Cathy,

You won't believe this... There is such a housing shortage here that it is unreal.

My neighbors (across the street, the ones that gave me the laptop) put their house on the market a week ago. It has already sold. They have to be out by Feb. 14. They actually had two offers, same amount, so they are taking the first come, first serve approach.

I am saddened, and I will miss them terribly, but I thought I would share something with all.

They chose a smaller real estate company, someone that I never heard of before. They list for less money, and 1% of the commission goes toward an interior redesign. The husband told me that they didn't even recognize the place when they were done.

Keep in mind that there is a shortage due to Katrina and Rita, but even at that, this home is much larger and more expensive than mine.

Gee, I am really going to miss them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I'll bet that those hurricanes really have impacted home sales and prices.
    That 1% redesign is the first I've heard of doing that.
    Do you know what kind of things they did ?
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I have never heard about this type of real estate commission either. My neighbor told me that it was 'interior decorating' and that they didn't even recognize their own home when they returned from a trip.

I am sure that the home sold for over $200k, so 1% is a chunk of money to spend to redecorate a home. Certainly, it is better than some of the other 'benefits' of commissions. Money well spent, I am sure.

Hope you are enjoying your trip!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Closing Friday. It was too cold this w/e to work outside so I removed items/plants from garage and inside house. Am taking off tomorrow(60 + degrees) to dig some remaining plants and clean out garage. Big task will be digging out rose bushes. I don't have all that much vacation and usually use it to visit Mom so taking a day for my old house is a little guilt-ridden. I already took about 3 or 4 days when I moved and when I prepped the other house for sale. I'm waffling over taking off tomorrow but I feel like I need to take some time to say goodbye to the house I lived in for 18 years. Is that odd ? I tried to imagine what if I didn't do that..how would I feel and then I thought how I would be thinking of the plants I didn't take and just that I didn't say goodbye mentally. Good gosh tears are welling up....hate it when emotions come of of left field !

Blog Entries
    I actually understand that feeling. I've had a couple of places where I had toleave things behid and wasn't able to go back. So taking that time to "adjust your heart" is a good thing to be doing.

I don't even like the fleeting thoughts I sometimes have about "what if I had to move from here", it just sends way too many conflicting emotions through me. Granted there are many plants I would take with me, and that's hoping with all my being that that would be possible, or having to find homes for what I couldn't take as I know what will happen to whatever gets left behind that isn't easily mowed around. It would be destroied. That would just about kill me. Still, even being able to move everything possible there would be plants that just couldn't be moved. Trees and flowering shrubs that have been here for several year that would be very difficult to move, the rock garden and those plants that might not be able to be moved. . . . oh well, you get the idea.

I'm glad you were able to move realitivly close to the old place and have been aboe to move as much as you have AND that you got to go to a much better location! I'm happy that you are young enough to be able to tackel this job! I don't know how I would ever manage it on my own. My last move about killed me, and I'm not speaking figuratively either!

So, take the day to say your good byes and don't feel guilty about it. Sometime we just have to do things for our souls and spirits.

Blessed Be!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Yes, that is exactly it(about saying goodbye)....and you said it so eloquently !

Cathy, it is just a house--your home moved with you. The people are what makes a home, along with all the things you put around you to make it YOUR home. (pictures, decor, etc.). Each house I have lived in represents a segment of my life. I remember the events, emotions, etc, far more than the place. Plants are easily replaced--one had to when moving thousands of miles across country. Once the pictures were hung, I was in a new place in my life and looking forward. At least, you are not leaving all your friends behind.

Call me coldhearted, perhaps, but 67 moves has really defined for me what makes a home. My very best wishes are for what your future is bringing in this exciting new segment of your life.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Sandi - You are also right on target. I thought about that(b4 I read your post) on the way to work. Yes, I went to work and am doing a half day. I will still have up to 6 hours of daylight. I know that my top priority are the rose bushes. After that, I'll just have to priortize based on time and daylight. I also have to get stuff/junk out of the garage and hubby will be involved with that.
    The things that stick in my mind about the old house are I guess emotions(the way the sun floods into the house in the mid to late afternoon, my dog who showed up from nowhere on Memorial Day 1987 and passed in July 2002, my Dad and my husband's Mom passed while we lived there). And a totally irrational thought that other people will pass while living at the new house as if they wouldn't if still at the old house.
    I also have to put wire mesh on the daylight window grates as bunnies will fall down there and have to be fished out(will the new owners do that).
    You are absolutely right that now is the time to make the new house a home ! I actually have a goal to make the daylily garden there an AHS garden by regional 2008 !

Blog Entries
    OK, there is nothing better than digging out your last remaining plants that you intended to take, messing up a couple, not being able to locate a couple, realizing that you have to leave some for the new people because they are in an obvious spot ,not being able to dig through the dry soil and finally just being so exhausted that you just say the heck with it ! I think I'm ready to move on !

Here was today's funny point...I was digging a small lilac and realized as I started to rock it out of the soil that it was already in a pot ! Boy, do I sure wish everything else was prepotted beneath the soil !

Blog Entries
    Kathy,

First of all what are YOU doing up so late?!! It's normal for me to still be awake, but I didn't know you were an insomniac too! Poor baby, just too tired to sleep?

That's so funny about the Lilac! So how badly had the roots grown through the drainage holes? That is so funny! And leave it to you to do something like that!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    Rebecca - The lilac didn't seem too worse for the wear; oddly enough I don't recall roots poking through the drainage holes. They were probably there but not enough to result in a tug of war. The soil there is quite loamy--I wish all my soil was like that.

It was funny though and almost as surprising as digging up the hibernating toad and thinking it was a lily bulb...yikes !

Cathy,

Did you take the toad with you? I love those critters in my garden. If I find one, it belongs in my garden (as long as no one objects).

Actually, I have plenty. They venture into the garage all the time, so if I can, I catch them and put them in the old greenhouse or the porch/patio area. That way, Dear Old Blue, the garage cat won't decide to make a play toy out of them! I figure I rescued them only to give them food for certainly they will find some critters to feast upon...

Let us know how you are doing in your new home! I can't wait to see pictures of your new gardens as they develop.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2