+ Reply to Thread

Thread: January Weather

January Weather

Well....

One forecast said it was going to get down to 28 while another said 29 and still another said 30. It's been so warm lately that I decided to put off putting the kerosene heater in the patio. I turned on the little electric heater and hoped that the heavier plastic would hold in the warmth of the ground and out the bitter cold.

Well...

At about 2-3AM or so, the power went out. It was out until about 5:30AM. I looked through the sliding glass at the thermometer on the patio. It said 40 degrees. Later, I finally got up the nerve to go out to check on the damage.

Guess what?!?! There was none!

I feel so fortunate. Perhaps that is a sign that this is going to be a GOOD YEAR after ALL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I'm glad to hear that scenario as I do not have heat in my coldframe and it has dipped into the upper 20's. I've been more concerned about the daytime highs(50's and today it was 68) but have had little time to check on them. But daylilies, at least, are tough. I would be more worried about other plants such as you have--I'm glad they are still perky after the outage.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

Try to keep the more tender plants in the middle and the hardier ones near the windows and frame. I have noticed in the past that the ones near the sides get bit by frost and the ones near the ground and in the middle don't even seem to notice the cold.

Keep in mind, that without any source for heat, the ground (earth) is the last the cool off! It's just the opposite in the summer. The outermost and upper parts are where the heat is.

Hope that makes sense....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Can You Believe This?

We had a high in the low to mid 70's today. I took a stroll through my gardens, and I was amazed to see several of my pink brugs with new growth emerging. I guess I need to cut some frost cloth and wrap it around them so they can get a head start IF we don't get any really bad freezes.

Is it my imagination or is this winter really, really mild? I see more and more daylilies emerging, and I know that they will be okay, but still...

I know, I sound like a broken record, but I am truly in awe that the winter has been this mild and is projected to be this mild throughout the rest of January which is normally our coldest month of the year.

Are all of you experiencing the same thing? Milder than usual?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread