+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rose Hips

Rose Hips

I have many forming and most are red right about now.

I enjoy seeding these. They are different than many of the others.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Wow, how pretty. What type of rose bush are these hips from? I had such success with some hips seeds from a friend in California who sent them to me in late 2004 and I finally got them going this fall, and I have 8/10 baby rose seedinlings still looking happy. But I started some new hips seed from this season's rose hips and they should have sprouted by now in the refidge and yet nothing has happened. Do hips need to rest for a season before we start the germination process?
    Thanks, Linda
    Linda

Linda,

Everything on the back fence was heavily damaged during the storms. All of the rose bushes seem to have made it, but I now have no idea which is which unless I see it bloom. They are all truly antique roses, and all are grown on their own roots.

I sure hate what these storms due to labels on plants. As you can see, there are some passiflora vines intangle in this particular rose. I can tell you that it is one of the climbing roses.

I have 13 varieities of antique roses (at least) on the back fence line. It will take me awhile to relabel them this spring, but I will be able to recognize most of them.

Sometimes the seeds need warmth followed by chill followed by warmth. Some just need a chill followed by warmth. I'll have to look back at my notes.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

If you girls get tired of starting roses from those hips they make good tea. Rugosa roses have large hips and I make teas from them. They are high in Vitamin C.
    My daughter and I tried to dig out the rugosa roses from one bed. They had taken over and a volunteer rose of sharon had come up in that bed. It is the prettiest rose of sharon I've seen. I'm sure the roses will come back. We could not get all the roots out. They are very prolific. I hope to move some to another place where they can grow and not be in my way.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread