+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reading

Reading

I have been reading Rodale's No Fail Flower Gardening. Has lots of good practical info and quite a few flower bed layouts.

I have 3 or 4 that I'd like to try in the spring. Seems like such a long way aways already.

What are you reading?

Merry Christmas,
    Vicki in West MI

Blog Entries
    Hi! Vicki!

Long time no see, or I'm more senile than I think I am!

About the only reading I do these days is on line forums! Hum. . . . maybe that means I have too many forums that I try to keep up on?!

Actually, I've been busy trying to work up a new web site to replace the one I have at Earthlink since it will be going away at the end of this month (or so they told me). I've got 4 out of 7 original pages done, but still have to link them all together and then get the site published. I ran across a new (to me) free web builder that is really awesome and gives very professional looking results. Perhaps by the time I get it finished I will be able to use a host other than Tripod or one of the other Free Hosting sites. I had tried to move the "Becca's Lilies" site from Earthlink to Tripod, but couldn't figure out how to use the FTP! Of course, I don't know what makes me think I'll be able to figure it out with the new site builder. LAS!

I've been making mental notes on possible crosses to try next season, selling seeds still from this year and trying to come to terms with what I will actually be able to keep and grow of the 2000 or so seeds from this summer (between my own and the "Virtual Hybrids"). Not an easy task since there are so many I really want to grow on! When you have only so much space, there's only so many you can grow and grow well. This should have been my low seed production year, brother that didn't work at all! No doubt I will be moving out a lot of seedlings and older plants this coming summer, so at least 2007 has a chance of being a better year space wise.

We're having a bit of a thaw next week so I will be able to bring in more potting soil to thaw out once I see how much more I will need to start seeds. I have 4/5 of a shelf available for daylily seeds this winter and I normally would have at least 2 shelves! Guess I carried over too many plants again!

Earlier I mentioned I'd been making mental notes of the crosses to try next summer and that has had me doing some reading on the Database, looking at 'child cultivars', fertility and all the other traits one needs to be aware of when trying to match up the crosses. There will be some new out crosses but most will be within my own developing lines of breeding. Which is something else I need to work on, redefining my goals! It doesn't take much for things to get out of hand, and this summer I added miniatures to my list of goals - both full form and SPUFs! Something will have to be set aside, I just don't know what!

That about does it for me, as you see I really don't have time for much recreational reading (except for "Birds & Blooms" magazine that "Peoplepleaser" gave me a Christmas gift subscription too!)

Make it a good day!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread