+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter Sowing Seeds?

Threaded View

Winter Sowing Seeds?

What seeds to you sow directly in your beds during the cold of winter? What self seeds regularly up north?

Some of my biggest and best surprises come from seeds that were planted during winter months, most of which came from a mixed perennial seed packets.

I plan to do that again this winter. I have a small bed in the back quarter that I want to fill with fresh compost and plant perennial seeds as well as some harvested seeds just to see what happens.

I figure that if they are tender, and we have a really late frost, I can toss a layer or two of frost blanket over the area.

I am looking primarily for self seeders that germinate during or after winter, and of course, those mysterious bienniels. Sweet Williams and Foxglove are already at the top of the list as well as pink and blue cornflowers which I adore.

If you winter sow them using the GH container method approach, I am interested. I would like to try them directly with minimal protection of a frost blanket.

What do you think? Will it work? Any ideas?

I am even thinking of seriously trying Amaryllis seeds since I have sprouted them successfully in the 'fridge before and hope to have lots of them this year.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    As much as I had wanted to "winter sow" some of the daylily seeds, it didn't get done. I seldom sow any seeds in winter. I did direct sow some bearded iris seeds from an open pollinated pod. I'm sure I scattered several other perennial seeds here and there as well as seeds from the "flowering tobacco".

I do have some red coleus seeds sprouting in the Clivia seedlings, not purposely sown there so they must be seeds that were dropped when I was trying to save seed from the plants. These are in the light garden though so don't really count.

Of the plants that self sow on a regular basis up here are Snapdragon, Mums (yes, Mums!), the various Hardy Geraniums, Aliums 'Purple Sensation', nearly all of the Columbine, "Red Lady" sage, 'Honesty' (Money Plant), Hosta, although the only ones that survive are the seedlings I prick out and pot up, they get too much shade if left under the parent plants. The Butterfly Bush regularly self sows too, most often only the lavender one though. Almost forgot about "Love in a Mist", but you could also say that I direct sow it as I do scatter a good many seeds as the pods ripen. Enough make it to keep the gardens well populated with it. Same for Dames Rockets, although that population is waining.

I've occasionally had the Astilbe to self sow, but have only managed to safe one seedling that happened to plant itself in a pot that was left nearby!

I don't really leave a lot of seed heads on the plants; I harvest a lot of seeds that end up forgotten in the fridge!

Oh yeah, I also scattered some seeds from both types of Primrose that I have and saved some seeds from one of them.

Plus all the other seeds that are dropped but I never see!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

As far as I know, buddleia has never self seeded here. All of them are always loaded with ripened spring during the winter, so it surprises me that they don't come up every where.

My neighbor has a few ROS to pop up every spring. She usually digs them and moves them. Out of millions of seeds that her huge ROS trees produce, it surprises me that they don't self sow.

Perhaps all the seeds wash away during the heavy spring rains. I simply do not know.

I hope to try some of the yellow variety that came from Texas before the winter is over. I plan to sow them in a huge container, and protect them with frost cloth just to prevent heavy rain from washing them up and letting them float away. We will see how time goes. If that works, then next year, I will try others protected by frost cloth. I don't dare use plastic, not even in the shade. We simply have too many warm days here and there during the winter,and I'd be afraid that they would cook. All of my trees are deciduous, so there is very little shade to be had in the winter.

I have the clematis seeds that you sent me, Rebecca. They are in the fridge. I plan to sow those in a large pot next week during the Christmas holidays, along iwith the ones that I harvested. I know that they need cold. They have been in the fridge in ziplocs, but not in moist vermiculite or anything.

I have been studying and making a list while I can (when I have a few moments to myself). Two more days of school. They are half-days and criterion reference tests, so no teaching. Just administering tests, entering grounds and preparing the final paperwork for the semester.

Two more days, go figure... I am ready for a break! I am ready for spring! We went from very warm to cold all of a sudden, and it will get really cold in January. Don't laugh! Really cold for me, anyway...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

winter sowing

This is the link I found about winter sowing.
    Very informative and answers just about every questions on the subject.
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/

Merry Christmas,
    Vicki in West MI
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

These sowed themselves, but I don't know when since I haven't had any petunias for the last few years.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Unbelievable ! I get weeds that self sow--you get purple and white striped petunias
    Very pretty !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Very pretty Ann. Would be nice to have some beauties like that self sow.

I had alot of seeds come up from winter sowing, potted up a bunch, but there is still alot now just starting to sprout.
    I planted a bunch of 'foxgloves' about 15 or so and then I noticed the leaves looked just a little different. Sure enough checked the list and I was planting 'lambs ears'. Remember when you sent me them Cathy? I had found them in an unused box of plant shipping stuff. I guess it's a good thing I was trying to clean out and rearrange my potting shed.
    But dang it, now they are planted where I wanted FOXGLOVES!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Was wondering if any of you have been wintersowing?
    Trudi has updated her pages and her seed lists are awesome. Check it out!
    http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/w...212002118.html
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

+ Reply to Thread