+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Christmas Cheer!

Christmas Cheer!

Gosh! I don't think there is anything better to give or receive for Christmas than garden items and plants. I received two huge boxes today from a friend. The boxes were sitting outside my back door when I arrived home. They said "Open IMMEDIATELY!!!"

One of the boxes had another box inside. The smaller box was filled with Amaryllis bulbs. Some of the names, I know. Some of the names, I do not know. All of them are new to me... Now, I understand the suggestion for an inventory of my collection.

The rest of the boxes contained various types of bulbs, each carefully labeled.

Gee! I'm so glad my ground isn't frozen because most need to be planted so they will have a cool/cold dormant spell and bloom next spring.

The Amaryllis bulbs will be potted and brought into the patio to enjoy this winter and hopefully I will do some hybridizing...

What a wonderful surprise!!! I just had to share my excitement!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Somebody loves you very much! What a wonderful gift! You are right, there is no gift any better for a gardener than things for the garden or to garden with!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Pretty, Rebecca!

Actually, his wife was my best friend in college. I suppose that I was the one to get her started in Amaryllis. I knew she had a collection, but didn't know that her hubby had been buying her a new kind every year for some time now.

He says he cannot maintain all of them the way that she did, so he divided some and on his way to Texas to visit his Mom, he dropped the boxes by my door.

It was truly a surprise...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

What a truly wonderful gift and even more wonderful thing he has done for you. Now you will always have your friend with you and you will be reminded of all the great times the two of you had together. Sounds to me that he has given you much more than a couple of boxes of plants and bulbs. May he be Blessed Abundantly!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Indeed! He is a good man.

I will post pictures as they bloom. Some may bloom this year. I sure hope so anyway.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread