+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: December Weather

December Weather

We were in the upper 70's today, but that is about to change.

I temporarily moved my hibiscus outside, watered them heavily and left them outside to get drenched by more rain (hopefully) tonight.

I started moving some of my potted Amaryllis and seedlings inside (on the patio). It's time. We are expected a cold front with several days with lows in the lower 30's

Tomorrow evening, I will move the rest of the potted Amaryllis to safety, then the hibiscus will return to inner warmth. My tropical hibiscus always pout, the leaves turn yellow and drop when moved indoors. That means cleanup of dried and dead leaves on the floor before bringing them back inside.

Still lots of cuttings in water, so I changed out the water and hope to start potting those up soon.

Winter is arriving in the south, whether I like it or not...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    15 tonite; 20's tomorrow; 5 tomorrow night......
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Gee! I don't see how you guys do it!

It poured down rain this morning. I didn't even try to get my supplies out of the trunk of the car. I just ran inside.

Then it started getting cold, really cold. And please don't laugh at me, but after a high of 80 degrees yesterday, a brisky, cold and wet wind at 40-50 degrees is COLD.

Tonight, Hunter helped me with hauling the hibiscus back inside. It's supposed to get down to 31 in the morning, and honest to goodness, it feels like 31 out there (or lower) right now.

The wind is blowing and it is biting right into you.

I cannot imagine what 15 degrees feels like. I have never felt it...

BRRRRR! I do believe winter is HERE!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

DA BIG CHILL!

It was 11 df at 12:25 and I expect the temps to fall into single digits before sunrise. Gonna be a cold one tonight. Then is doesn't look much better for the next couple of days:

Today :

Few Snow Showers High 22 F Precip: 30%

Snow flurries early. Cloudy with a few snow showers possible later in the day. Cold. High 22F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of snow 30%.

Tonight:

Partly Cloudy Low 9 F Precip: 10%

A few clouds. Cold. Low 9F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow:

Partly Cloudy High 20 F Precip: 0%

Partly cloudy skies. Very cold. High near 20F. Winds WNW at 5 to 10 mph.

It won't be above freezing until SATURDAY! I don't think I'm going to be sending out any seeds until then either!

I can thank Phil for this weather, he sent it to me from Utah!

It is very unusual for us to be this cold in December, these are late January, early February temps! I'm looking on the bright side though; perhaps this means an early spring!

Everyone keep warm. (The little momma cat didn't pick a good time to be having babies! They wouldn't have made it outside, that for sure.)

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Toooo COLD, Rebecca!

It was bitter cold here this am. When I got up at 5:30 am, it was 30 degrees F. and it stayed at that temp until I was at school around 7am.

Most plants are now melted. It's hard to tell if the Brugs in the front (south) made it through this one. I did see that the Clerodendrum has melted leaves as well as the potatoe vine. The deciduous shrubs/trees definitely lost most of their leaves. The herbaceous ones may or may not leaf out again. It's doubtful. We have two more days of slightly freezing weather.

22 degrees are the most difficult days for our plants. Those are hard, long freezes and they arrive usually somewhere between late December and can possilbly happen in early March.

In between, there are many warm days, so if a plant gets confused and doesn't like being confused, then it doesn't do well here.

Well, we can't do much gardening this time of the year, but we can plan and dream, can't we?

I am going to try some winter sowing, but that will be limited to Clematis (Rebecca sent me some seeds in addition to what I harvested), Columbine (Rebecca sent me some seeds) and possibly some others. It will not be the GW version of winter sowing. It will be the traditional winter sowing (left outside with no plastic cover). I have to do that because of all the warm temps in between the freezes. I simply do not have enough shade in the winter to keep these babies from getting to tall before the next freeze. Hard to explain...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    My Wednesday will probably be Rebecca's Friday(Break out the Hot Chocolate!):
    http://www.ksn.com/weather/forecastw.html

We will have a heat wave on Sunday, I might dig up lily bulbs that day. Gotta go through blankies on the plants in the garage !

Did I read that right? A heat wave is 43 degrees?

Okay, so now I understand why Shepp and others say that I am spoiled. I am. Truly, I am...

But I think that I would be more spoiled if I had a truly tropical, no freeze environment.

I am so fortunate to have freinds that understand that even I have to worry about freezes. Sorry, but truly tropical is a no-no here, so I bring them inside for protection.

Still, it is FUN!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

Gee thanks! I think this front will be petering out before it reaches me

:http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...ink_undeclared

thank the weather gods! Single digits again tonight. 6 degrees!

"Rusty" showed up early this evening, heard him clawing at the back door to come in. He was very hungry! Have to wrap him up and hold him down before I go to bed and get some medicine in him (and Grayson and Gabby!)

Momma kitty has been spending a little time away from the babies today, she's been resting outside of her box on top of the diffuser I have over the heat vent that's next to her box.

Bed time.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Holy COW!!!

Bitter COLD, that is what you are having!!! And lots of you are getting snow for the holidays. Snow is pretty when it is fresh. I always wonder if this year will be the year that we will get some.

I will try not to complain about the cold arriving here. I have no right to complain.

The last frost got most of my plants. I did see one red passiflora bloom up against the west side of the house. Other than that, the only blooms I see are camellias, and they were bitten by frost and a few roses.

It was a little warmer this morning, and thank goodness the rain did not arrive until this evening.

It's supposed to get down to 29 or 30 Saturday am. I still have some potted amaryllis that I want to bring in this weekend. For now, I am covering them. They absolutely must find a permanent home in the ground next spring.

I'm such a mother hen when it comes to my babies!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    The snow arrived here about 1:30 this afternoon and it's still going strong. I was out before night fall, because Gabby insisted on going out, so I shoveled the snow from the back walk and around our cars - just paths to the driver's doors, and the snow was at least 4 inches deep then with some drifting. I haven't looked out the back door, but am sure the walk and paths are filled back in!

It was so funny watching Gabby in the snow. He didn't know what to make of it or the cold on his little felt but he was running in it and then sliding (on purpose) and just having a good old time. About 10 minutes was enough for him though and he was ready to come back in!

The snow is supposed to continue on until sometime tomorrow, it'll be a true winter wonderland out there, but I doubt I will be out taking pictures as it's supposed to be bitterly cold. I may look out the back door to see how well the flower beds in the back have been blanketed and I may pop my head out the front door to check those that I can see, but I'm staying in for as long as I can. I truly hate cold weather! (I only appreciate what it does for my plants!)

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Don't forget to take some pictures of snow in your landscapes for me....

And be forgiving, if by chance we should get a few inches and I take tons of pics to share. It has been a long time since we had snow.

I like the snow, just not the extreme cold that goes along with it. Although, even that is not so bad if it doesn't last too terribly long.

Stay warm... So far, it has been a fairly mild winter start here.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Started snowing after midnight(Fri.) and has not stopped(Sat. night) yet. It's a very slow steady snow. Probably 2 inches so far--hard to tell-it's so fluffy. They say 2-4 inches by Sunday. Obviously I 've not built my coldframe, lifted bulbs or done anything with my 'migratory' daylilies. I did write Christmas cards though !!!

Correction:they are saying 3-5 by Sunday.

It is supposed to be low 40's Fri,Sat,Sun next week. I hope to do some digging then. I have off Fri b4 and Mon after Christmas. And Fri and Mon New Year's w/e.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 12-17-2005 at 06:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    The 7.5 inches of snow I've had for the last week has been slowly disappearing and what little new snow hasn't amounted to anything. But I know we're in for it, winter hasn't "officially" begun yet!

I had made a quick trip out to the store earlier today and made a point of coming home via the Borrowed Garden and was pleased to see it still has a full blanket of snow covering it, perhaps only a couple of inches of compressed depth, but there, so I know they are all well protected for now. The back yard seedling bed still has some cover over the in ground plants but the potted ones have lost most of theirs white blanket. All of evergreen and semi-evergreen plants look hideous, but normal for the weather conditions. Will have to put my boots on one day to get out into that area and check on the smallest potted plant left outside; it's buried in the middle of all the bigger pots and has a very heavy leaf covering.

On one of my forays out I took a look at 'Mildred Mitchell' on the south side of the house. All the snow was gone and the plant actually looked good (dead foliage, of course, but good). I took a few extra minutes and got into my barrel of old pine straw and got a large arm-full out to spread over it to keep the ground frozen and add a little extra protection from drying winds. I think it's going to be okay, but won't know for sure, of course, until spring.

I have ventured out the front door except to grab the mail so I have no idea how everything in those beds is doing. I didn't get the mums cut back after they finished blooming so there's at least some small wind break from the dead foliage. The little flower bed under the Eisenhower Ash Tree was still snow covered, but those are some very hardy plants under that tree, even the daylilies there are tough plants; they are out of 'Joan Senior', 'Stella' and 'Dewy Fresh' lines, all very hardy plants here.

I am already so sick of winter and cold and snow and to think it isn't even here yet!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, gee! You must know that I am in awe of all the stories about snow. Although we have had some cold, frost bitten days, I don't really feel that winter is here. It just doesn't feel like it is time for winter, much less Christmas. I guess that is because our schedules are so messed up due to those bad weather days.

It's supposed to get down to 29 or 30 degrees F. tonight. That means a little colder here in my valley, so I buckled down the patio a little better. I still have not put heat in the old greenhouse, but the little heater is left on for now in the porch. It won't be long before we will have to start using the kerosene heater. I will have to move some plants around before that, though.

My Christmas cactus are starting to bloom like crazy. They needed to be pruned back, though. The blooms tend to be below the rims of the hanging pots because they have gotten too long.

I see a few Amaryllis buds starting to peak out, but I will miss having lots of them over the winter. There was simply no time to prepare them for winter bloom. Besides, they need to get ready for being in the garden.

The brugs cuttings taht I took before the first possible frost are still in water and starting to form roots. They may have to stay in water. I am out of pot room.

The brugs on the south side of the house (protected) looks like a naked skeleton. The branches have not melted down yet. Amazing!

Nearly everything else has gone dormant, except for that Datura on the west side. I suppose the warmth of the house has helped it to survive.

I haven't seen a sign of my lizards or frogs lately, so I think they have decided to tuck in for the winter.

One more day of school, and a little time off. Thank goodness, next week will be a little warmer than this one. I have more to do than I have time, but I am going to try to get some done.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

January Weather. . . .

Here it is January 2, 2006 and it's supposed to get up to 60 df here today! Rain and possible T-Stormes later this afternoon into this evening.

This warm in January is just too weird for me! I know I was hoping for an early Spring, but I think we need to have Winter FIRST! This does not bode well for the spring flowering bulbs or the daylilies.

On another note, the kittens will be a month old on Wednesday and they haven't even begun to show an interest in solid food. That puzzles me as I can remember other litters that were at least investigating solid food by now. Guess this little female has some really rich milk and plenty of it!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast