+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving Day to all of YOU!

As I told my kids today, have a safe and Happy Turkey Day!

I know everyone is busy preparing for a big meal with the family, and the same is happening here.

Rebecca is having problems with her computer, but hopefully she will be back online soon! Rebecca, if you get a chance to read this, I hope you have a wonderful day!

To all, I send my love on this special day!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- We all love you too !

For all at Landspro:
    Cathy has sent you a Hallmark e-card!

To see it, just click the link below, or copy and paste it into your browser's address line:

http://www.hallmark.com/ECardWeb/ECV...4446M71772635Y
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

How Lovely!!!

Thank you, Cathy, for such a wonderful and beautiful Thanksgiving card.

Hopefully, everyone is enjoying their day. High of 76 here, so it is quite pleasant compared to the last few Thanksgivings.

I have thanks for a lot of things this year, so this Thanksgiving is special.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Winter Blooms!

I am really pleased with this camellia. Somehow, I have to get rid of that privet that is behind it, though. It is forcing the camellia to only bloom on the one side.

Thanksgiving blooms....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

More Thanksgiving blooms...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Bougainvilla

This came from my Mom's old house. It is HUGE, dies down every winter, then grows even larger. It has gigantic thorns with a large hook at the end of each thorn. One has to be careful with this one.

It's got a lot of blooms, but I can't get back to it to take a closeup without cutting back the lavender buddleia (which needs cutting back).

Anyway, it's blooming...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks for sharing your blooms Ann. They are greatly appreciated here.

76 soundly heavenly, it was 18 here today with a good stiff 35 mile wind gusts. Not much snow only about 3 or so inches. But bitter cold. It's supposed to be rain and 45 on Sun, and 54 and rain on Mon. Hmmmm . . . . . .
    I hope everyone here at Landspro had a great day! We had a wonderful day.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Thanks, Vicki!

You are all getting very cold up north, and I have to pinch myself right about now because so many things have not died back from a frost and yet, I look at the weather forecast for the next 15 days and no more scheduled frosts. Of course, that is apt to change on a daily basis.

Still, after suffering through prolonged heat this fall, I don't mind telling you that I will take the mild weather we are getting right now.

I know that winters here are different. We have cold, warm, cold, warm, followed by bitter cold, cool and then cold, warm, cold and warm.

Winter sowing is not quite as easy here, so keep that in mind. Many seeds that flourish in your winter containers will thaw and grow only to freeze or parish in an overheated container. Things like columbine and other cool weather plants flourish outside of the container in the winters but perish during the heat of our summers.

As people, we are all very diverse and plants are the same.

I am grateful for our mild winters and enjoy the sub-tropicals, but gee, I envy the gorgeous gardens that fluorish up north in the late spring, summer and early fall.

It's so wonderful to have friends from all kinds of climate zones.

Stay warm and enjoy your winter break!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Vicki,

I need to do some of the old fashioned winter sowing. I used to do quite a bit of that many years ago.

Today, I spotted a seed husk from that pink camellia. How could I have missed that seed pod. I looked and looked for a pod on it last August and couldn't find one. But there it was hanging on to one of the blooms. I searched the fallen flowers and leaves below that limb, but never found the seeds.

This camellia was covered with blooms this year, and I surely hope that there will be more pods this year. I do like this one. The blooms are last well past Christmas! I see more buds getting ready to bloom and others just starting to form.

Wouldn't it be nice to have lots of camellia seeds to share? They are huge seeds and not viable for long and it takes forever for them to get to blooming size, but I have to admit that it is well worth the wait!

BTW, I hear that those of you up north have been having some warm spells. We seem to be having more than our share, but I won't complain.

It won't be long until we can all start counting the days until spring....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Your camellia's are gorgeous! Pics like these are truly, deeply appreciated at this time of year. I actually got a thrill walking around my gardens and seeing the plants that are evergreen, or having some semblence of green to them. It's kinda like a mini mid winter break. Imagine having plants blooming at this time of the year. Just amazing . . . . .to a northener like me.

Thanks for sharing,
    Vicki

+ Reply to Thread