+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Local Nurseries Prepare for a Hard Freeze

Local Nurseries Prepare for a Hard Freeze

Short, but interesting video in the following report....

http://www.wkrg.com/servlet/Satellit...=1128768216962
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Thank you..very timely ! I had one added addition to the blankets that I used..a 55 pound Norwegian Elkhound who layed on top on one of the blankets !

Ann-- Is that an Alabama station ? I didn't detect a southern accent--especially the male anchor. I've been watching food network lately and love Paula Dean's show. Besides her great no holds barred southern cooking, her accent is just so neat. I've been imagining that your southern accent would be just like hers. Please tell me that you pronounce 'store' like
    'sto-wa' ?!
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Sorry, but I don't think I have much of that southern accent. Don't know why, but not so many people as you think have the southern drawl.

Every once in awhile, you may catch me say something with a drawl. It depends on who I have been around lately.

I'll have to pay more attention tomorrow to see how many of my students have an accent. I may have a few.

The station is local...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

How Funny!!

They say beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, and accents are in the ear of the listener!

Ann has an LA accent (that's Lower Alabama). It's a mixture of West Texas and Southern Mississippi! Could be the reason she doesn't notice a southern drawl in others, they are perfectly natural sounding to her.
    Last edited by Tom; 11-18-2005 at 07:11 AM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Having spoken with Ann by telephone I can attest to her lovely accent. Very refined southern, well educated and soft spoken.

I remember hearing more of a Texas slant, sweetened with some Mississippi warmth in her voice, just as I had imagined she would sound!

I think one hears less of an accent from people who do a lot of public speaking, including teachers, although I can almost always pick out someone from Canada simply by the way they pronounce the word "out". It's like they pronounce every letter.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Okay! Okay!

So, I am bound to have some, huh?

When I think of Southern accent, I think of the really slow, southern drawl, you know, like in Gone with the Wind!

The first 6 years of my life were spent on the Texas Coast.

And, yep! I have done lots and lots of presentations, now teaching.

Mississippi is 10 miles away, so what can I say?

Y'all are FUN!!!!

Anyway, I am enjoying the cooler weather without the major melt down. I still have some shrubs in bloom. I absolutely must take a picture of this camellia that just started to bloom last year. I took a picture of a bloom before, but this thing has buds all over it. It has more of a tree shape than a shrub, so I think it is an older variety. Who cares what variety it is! I am really enjoying it. Let's hope it makes seeds!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Well, since we are all off the subject of the thread, let me add my two bits worth--

1) It finally got cold here. Woke up yesterday to a freeze and had to wear coats all day. Other than one night's frost, we had been having weather in the 60's during the day and no colder than 40 during the night. Furthermore, no rain. Really strange.

2) I lived in Texas about i/2 of the time I was growing up. While I don't speak with an accent now, I will start doing so in an instant if I am around a southerner!

3) How I envy the ability to have camellias. There are some that will make it in zone 6, but I haven't gotten around to getting some yet. The only place I know is a wholesale place, and I have to meet a minimum of several hundred dollars.

How're y'all? Seems lak ah haven't seen y'all in awhal. Ar puter's been sick. Hope Cathy's move is goin' ok.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Sandi,

They are so pretty, and the nice part is that they are evergreen and bloom in the winter.

Isn't the bloom on this one cute?
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

COULDN'T RESIST!

so I made two, here's the second one:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    . . . . and this is the first one, without lighting effects:
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Slobber, drool.............SIGH...........
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

+ Reply to Thread