+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Snow Flurries

Blog Entries

Snow Flurries

Have a high wind warning and had blowing snow this morning.

Thankfully it melted before reaching the ground.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

High is forecasted for 55 degrees tomorrow with a low of 34 degrees Thursday morning. That means heavy frost here in my little microclimate.

The different weather sites vary a lot, but one of them is forecasted 31 degrees for a low on Friday morning.

This front is hitting us BEFORE Thanksgiving, so I need to call my brother and tell him I owe him a big HUG for helping me put the plastic on my porch. I have to tell you that my brother is the BEST! Whatever would I do without him?

The greenhouse door is still not repaired, so I may have to tape some plastic over that temporarily. The bottom panel popped off and the lower piece of metal that holds up the panel has broken off.

Gotta get busy moving more tender perennials inside. Tomorrow afternoon, I plan to take more cuttings of herbacious plants. The cuttings will stay in water in the porch until this weekend.

Talk about lack of time! It means skidaddle time....

I'll be back later!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    You are very lucky to have your brother help with the lean to !
    I wish I had a little help...preferably from the owner of power tools !
    Ann, is there a link somewhere showing that lean to ?? I'm hatching an idea...for my potteds....

Finally! I found some pics that I took last year during the construction of my little addition.

It is really a porch, but a not so expensive one since it has a dirt floor. I really enjoyed it this past year. No pics this year, yet, but give me time and I will take some.

Now, it is covered in greenhouse plastic which is supposed to be clear, but isn't really. It's more clear than white, though, I suppose. One side is very smooth and the other side has an ever-so-slight texture.

Pics taken while it was being constructed:

http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...ighlight=porch

We lucked out last night. The first frost didn't happen. It was 36 degrees at 5 AM and no frost on the vehicles. Thank goodness!

Tonight, it is supposed to go down to 29 degrees. That is a hard freeze for us, so I took more cuttings. It's really sad because some of my plants that normally bloom all fall had just started to bloom again after the damage from Katrina and Rita. Tomorrow, the blooms will be gone until next year.

Oh, well! I took lots of cuttings. They are in water. I wish I had more space for more, but then again, there is next summer to make more.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The Porch NOW!

I still have some tucking to do, but I really like it.

That end (on the left hand side) with what looks like an opening is covered with plastic. You can see the piece of wood that is partially holding the 'flap' in place. It has wing nuts, so I can easily remove it when it gets really hot and raise the 'flap'.

Right now, there is about 5-6' excess plastic at the ground level. I put bags of cypress mulch on every end except the end with the flap. On that end, I placed one old ice chest (w/rollers) and several large heavy plants that are hardy and planned for my gardens. It's easier to move those than the wet bags of cypress mulch, and they seem to hold okay.

Like I said, still some tucking to do to tighten it up, but I am pleased. It is like a hot house out there!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Thank you for finding those pictures and posting more. I will come up with something 'truly original' based on your info and Rebecca's.

Today's weather forecast was truly weird: Cloudy, humid(thank you Gulf of Mexico), rain, high of 59 by noon. Then, rapidly plummeting temps down to the 30's followed by snow flurries.
    Here is what we have had so far: humid, cloudy, rain around 11:30 AM, sun, clouds, temp drop, sun, temp rise, clouds,wind, rain...???

I went to church later just so I could take advantage of the rain not having started and the warm temps. I had to dig up 15 Easter lily bulbs to send out to someone who bought them on the LA. Then I went around and dug up the phlox, the astilbe, lily of the valley, plumbago, snow on the mountain, Rebecca'scolumbine, salvia gurantica, obedience plants. I am starting to feel like Noah and my car is the ark !

Yesterday I dug the last of the adult daylilies and transported them--I must have had 30-35 bags. I had to run to Dollar Store for another roll of 15 gal trash bags. I had used up the other 110 bag roll !

Much as I wanted my hydrangea and witch hazel dug...it will have to wait. I think they can. I covered the hydrangea with sheets(as in bed) and stuffed leaves in the plastic netting surrounding the witch hazel. We are supposed to have a low of 17 on Thursday but highs in the 40's, I think I can dig them next weekend.

I learned today that after doing this for 4 days straight that apparently my muscles have stopped asking what they heck I am doing to them...the pain is somewaht less today ! So, I guess gardening is good exercise.

I still have to dig up lily bulbs ! But they can wait even into December. What am I saying it is almost December ! Augh !!!!
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 11-27-2005 at 01:37 PM.

Cathy,

It's warm here today. We actually had rain last night. I suppose it was about an inch and a welcomed inch at that!

We are forecasted for a low of 35-36 sometime during the middle of the week. I'll have to watch out for that one. So far, there are still more plants surviving frost then melted by it. I'm hanging on to my last blooms of the year as long as I can.

My red camellia has its first bloom today. That's a sign that winter is about to be here.

Hunter would be thrilled to have snow flurries, but I would rather wait until after Christmas holidays before getting a hard frost. Wouldn't that be nice?

Oh, and get this! Hunter likes to dig with a shovel! I had him busy today helping here and there.

We received a newsletter from Hunter's school saying they will go back to a normal shift after Christmas. OH! How I am looking forward to that! I have been working hard with him at night to make up for lost class time. Besides, Hunter is looking forward to having hot lunches in the cafeteria again. He actually likes the school's cafteria meals better than those bagged lunches. Can't say that I blame him!

A low of 17 is colder than we get here, so I can't imagine. How much longer until your ground freezes? That's something that I never even thought about happening until I made so many friends from up north!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- You are so lucky that Hunter is a help in the garden !
    I'll bet he is looking forward to getting back to the normal routine at school ! I wonder what is on the menu at school ? I know that I usually give in to buying at the company cafeteria for 2 things either: pizza or chicken tenders with mashed potatoes !

I don't really know when our ground freezes; I suppose it does. If I had to guess I'd say January or early February. By March, sometimes spring is already springing !

P.S. the forecast for 17 degrees came up to low twenties. Haven't seen snow yet and the temps have not plummeted that much. It is cooler though. I'm sure I could wake up to a snow-flakey back to work surprise tomorrow morning !

Wow, I looked up the weather for many of you up north, and you definitely are getting lots and lots of COLD, BITTER COLD!

It's going to get cool here tonight, in the 40's, then it is suppose to dip down to the mid 30's for a couple of nights. I closed the greenhouse and porch again.

This is what I do all winter long.... Close on cold nights (sometimes a heater) and open on warm days.

A little over 3 more weeks left of school this semester, then a winter break (Christmas) for a week. Yep! Only a week... Seems it is more important to save those days for Mardi Gras. Lots of us are not happy about that, but that's just the way it is.

Still, I had a really nice Thanksgiving, and I am certainly looking forward to the Christmas break and a new beginning in January.

My ground doesn't freeze, so it is digging time here!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread