+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cold Front

Cold Front

A cold front came through, and it was cool this morning, in the 70's this afternoon and getting chilly again tonight.

My brother helped me put the greenhouse plastic on the back porch. It looks nice, and what a difference there is between greenhouse plastic and the stuff from Lowe's. It is easier to handle, sturdier and seems thicker even though both say 6 mil.

Tomorrow, I will finish bringing the tender plants inside, take some more cuttings and start to work on repairing the greenhouse door. I am not sure if the door can be repaired, but I am going to try.

Gee, it has been so warm here. It seems strange for it to get cold suddenly, but I know, I know, it does this just about every year.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Yes..cold front..indeed...
    I am just now going into Chicken Little mode after hearing the weather forecast--26 and 27 Tues and Wed nite and very likely our first hard freeze. I am not ready and envision throwing anything just short of my own body(and maybe even that!) over my plants that have yet to be moved !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Got pretty chilly here Thursday night, low to mid 30's, but a bit warmer tonight, only down to 41. But I heard the word S N O W in the forecast, just don't remember when they said it could happen. Keep reminding myself it IS November after all!

I will be packing daylilies tomorrow and set them in the basement until Monday when I will be shipping them out. Sure am glad they are going South! Ann, I'll be packing the Amaryllis bulbs in the center of the daylilies! Look for them when the boxes arrive!

I have at least 5 packages of seeds to go out and some of them will get extra bubble wrap for added protection.

Will also have to get a couple of my windows covered with plastic, and maybe that make-do cold frame made too!.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, WOW!

Thanks, Rebecca!

We are now having perfect weather to start moving and planting daylilies. Other things will do better if planted after going dormant.

Shepp! Don't laugh at me! This 6 mil greenhouse plastic is wonderful! It is easy to handle, doesn't blow around as much as the other stuff, is more flexible and it is actually hard to poke a hole it in on purpose, so accidental pierces should be rare. You were right, but please don't rub it in. Remember, I believed you the first time!

One day this week, I hope to take pictures of what I have done. I tried to write a description, but pictures are better than words.

I am really pleased this year, primarily due to the better plastic. It is doubtful that I will need much heat. This is really heavy stuff! I plan to put some over the outer (east) side of the patio for extra heat retention.

I feel better now. I am almost ready for winter. Still some more cuttings to take, but now I have a place to put them. There are a few more plants that are getting watered really well before bringin inside.

And I still have the greenhouse door to fix. That process will begin tomorrow.

Three day weekends are NICE! Especially now that the days are so short.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

When you get your boxes you're gonna think it's Christmas! Some of those sucker were big, big I tell you! Didn't think I'd ever get the soil out of them! I'm also sending you a few orphans that there wasn't room for in the bed or under the lights. I didn't write out the cross info, but PM me with the list and I'll decipher it for you.

It's so hard not to stick several goodies into the boxes I send to you! You may need another 3 day weekend, maybe even a 4 day weekend! LOL!

I'll probably be sending you more DL seeds after I've finished with all the auctions because I know there is no way I'll have room for them. That will be closer to spring though so don't get too anxious about it. There are a few ready to slip into one of the boxes. spidery crosses mostly, but all mixed together since I don't know who the pollen parent were. I did write the pod parent info on the baggie though. You'll just have to wait until they bloom to try to figure out who is whose offspring. At least they weren't all from the same color breeding. At least they should be different colors! There's also a baggie full of mixed Dip and Tet bee pod seeds, now those ought to be fun!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread