+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Lantana Seeds

Red Lantana Seeds

I harvested some Red Lantana seeds today. I have no clue what color the seedlings would produce, but I thought maybe someone would be interested in trying them.

Anyone want to have a few and try some this spring? I assure you that they would overwinter in the frig because they pop up everywhere here. That is, the native ones do, so I have no doubt these seeds would be good (refrigerated or not).

I doubt freezing them would be good, though. The red one is not as hardy as the native one.

Any takers?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    DIBS !!!!!

Yes, oh yes, I would love some !
    I will PM you.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

I don't even have to go outside to look to see if there are seeds of the common pink/lavender/yellow one that pops up everywhere. If anyone wants some of those as well, please let me know.

Here are some nice photos of various kinds.

http://www.weeds.org.au/docs/lantana_flower_guide.pdf

Unfortunately, I have never seen seeds on the lavender, white or variegated (yellow flower). I'm not sure if the variegated is still alive. It took a beating during Katrina. I should try to remember to look for it today. Perhaps, there is some new growth today.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Oh Ann That is a great link and everyone...there is a page 2...it is worth getting to page 2 to see.... the sunshine yellow one !
    I think I'm starting to develop a lantana liking which will be challneging in zone 6.
    P.S. Love the link title...weeds of national significance

I harvested some seeds for you from the pink/lavender/yellow/orange one and the orange/yellow one. Both are shrub types and can produce lots and lots of berries.

The white and lavender ones (trailing) don't seem to produce seeds so they must be sterile. They appear to spread as a ground cover by soil layering themselves.

The seeds that I harvested today are within 8 feet of each other and were not planted. They are now nice sized shrubs and have been very pretty despite being sort of torn up by the strong winds.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Orange Lantana

I decided to take a picture of the orange lantana that planted itself beside my back fence. There is another part that is behind the fence is from the same plant. This is one large lantana.

I don't have the heart to destroy this one. It's very pretty and colorful.

Butterflies really do love Lantanas, all Lantanas.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann- Thank you so much for holding back some seed for me. I must have the lantana 'bug' now because when I saw that orange lantana I just sighed, "Oh!". How beautiful !

As you can see, it is a little 'flattened out', but it is quite pretty!

No guarantees on the color of blooms that the seeds will produce, but it should be quite fun to try.

I do like the orange one. Actually, I really, really like the pink one, except for times when I see about 8 of them growing in a 3 foot square area of a flower bed. They are gorgeous, but they are truly invasive here.

They pop up everywhere!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    That IS one big Lantana! Probably a good thing I don't live in a warmer climate, you wouldn't be able to see the house for all the plants I'd have around it!

Happened to have to go down to the basement today to make room for a very few (3 pots) of daylily prolifs and noticed my Variegated Lantana is making a come back; I was really afraid I had killed it! Now my burgundy one looks like it has bit the dust (basement is getting and staying too warm!) I pruned it back, hard and put it on the shelf, close to the lights. The others that I had also pruned back are also coming back, but I hadn't nearly killed them so knew they would. I also have a couple of cuttings under the office light garden.

The Hibiscus seedling is still flowering, such a neat baby. Sure hope the others will bloom! Three of the older cuttings from the other plants have buds, one has already started to bloom. The big double pink one keeps pumping out buds and blooms; guess it knows it's going to get pruned back when it finishes blooming, so it keeps them coming! Same with the golden salmon one. It has really gotten leggy this summer too.

It seems odd not to have any Lantana blooming in the basement this month, I normally do, but it just got too warm for them. My white one is looking really good though so it may bud out in the next week or so.

All of mine seem to go to seed regardless of where they are and I keep the seed heads trimmed off. I know I have seeds in the fridge, somewhere.

Oh, I even trimmed a few seeds off of the variegated one this summer but have not seen fruits on the lavender one, yet. Ann, let me know if you lost your variegated one and I'll try to get several cuttings going later this winter. (Now that I know it's still alive!)

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ahhhhh, it's called lantana, I was calling it verbena. what a goof I am.
    Yes, I would love some lantana seeds.

I have white and yellow star zinnia seeds now. I grew the white star zinnias from flowerseeds I collected from plants around July 4th and managed to get to grow and flower again this same season!! They get about 12" tall, are very feathery and prolific and really fill in well around the barer bottom ends of the rose stems. Made a beautiful undergarden for my roses!! The flowers are about 1" diameter, appear as tiny daisy-looking, with very feathery follage. Don't like the frosts. but i can collect the seeds now and send them on!

Thank you Ann
    Linda
    Linda

The part of this Lantana that is inside the fence has shriveled leaves from the frost. I harvested more seeds, but there are still many, many, many. You can see them better when the leaves shrivel.

The part that grew through the fence to the 'ditch' side is still green and not touched by frost. They are more protected by what is left of the huge privets.

The pink one shriveled up. It was smaller, and that one will be dug up because there are way too many of those. It is the invasive one. What a shame. It is so very pretty, but they will take over.

Still, they are fun and pretty.

The lavender one in the front (south) bed wasn't even tinged by frost. That is a trailing one that has spread, so some of it will have to be removed. I wish it did produce seeds. It's quite pretty.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Hi All,
    Does anyone have any Lantana seeds of any kind left? I wintered over a few of my mature solid yellow Lantanas that are doing nicely but I'd love to plant some other colors. My 4 year old grandaughter is selling plants for her pre-school (my gosh, could they start them selling stuff for school any earlier? Sigh...) and I bought a couple of flats of annuals from her but the Lantanas were $29.95 for 8 measly plants of various colors in 4" pots!
    I have tons of seeds to trade or will gladly pay postage.
    Emial me at beckiblair@hotmail.com
    Thanks!

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

Wow! And to think that they grow wild here, huh?

I have packaged up seeds for sending out, just need a chance to label envelopes and get to the post office.

Got some more, so I will make a package for you. If you want, I can collect lots more this summer.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I am trying to grow some of the seeds Cathy sent me. I haven't had a lot of luck getting them to sprout but I finally have two seedlings up now. I tried soaking some seeds and removing the soft outer fruit (as if a bird had eaten and excreted it) but they have not germinated at all. Only the ones soaked and then planted have sprouted, and of those only two have come up and I have been working on getting them up since the early part of FEB. I will start another pot of seeds tonight. I want hanging baskets for summer....and time is running on!! i was successful in getting about 4 to eventually sprout in a damp paper towel, even after they looked like they were beginning to grow mold!! So I know the seeds are viable, perhaps i am just impatient!! Well, this is fun!!
    Linda

Germinating Lantana Seeds

Hi Linda,
    Wow, sounds like they might need their seed coat nicked to help them along. Rubbing a handful of seeds on sandpaper would make it a bit easier than nicking each teeny seed, but I don't know as I've never grown them from seed. Looking forward to the challenge though.
    Ann, if you find any seeds please send them my way. Would be hapy to pay postage or trade something I have. I'll email my seed list privately along with my address.
    Let me know if you see anything you'd like!

Becki
    Becki B.
    Central Ohio
    Zone 5b-6

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast