+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Repotting Orchid

Blog Entries

Repotting Orchid

OK, again I am out of my league. I just bought an Odontoglossum hybrid.
    http://www.beautifulorchids.com/orch..._peruvian.html
    (mine was 6.97 not the $85 in the link !)

From what I read I did select a healthy one--bright green leaves. However, at the checkout I noticed roots wrapping around the inner top of the pot in a circle(maybe afew circles). Something tells me it needs repotting. Does it ?
    And how do you repot it ? My instinct is to put everything under the 'soil' but I think I need to rest its roots/bulbs on the potting medium(fine fir bark).
    Help !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Orchids need repotting when the media breaks down. When the potting mix is fresh, there are spaces between the bark chips, providing air to the roots. After a while the chips disintegrate and the spaces get filled with fine particles. The roots climb out of the media, seeking light. In the wild, these plants are growing, clinging to a tree branch, or something, and are exposed to light.
    When repotting, you should scrape the old mix from around and between the roots, and prune off any dead roots. Then place the roots in the new pot, and pack the chips around them. You can place all the roots below the surface; new ones will form and, again, climb out of the media, looking for light.
    The main purpose of anchoring the roots in the media is just to hold the plant upright.
    Last month, at the Florida Nursery Growers trade show, I noticed a new trend. That is to grow the plants in clear pots. The roots then tend to stay in the media more, and not climb as much.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Blog Entries
    Thank you John ! About those clear pots, somewhere in my reading I read that some roots photosynthesize and clear pots would be a good idea for them(I thought they mentioned the Phals). I wonder if that is the theory behind the clear pots at the trade show. Wow ! It must be very interesting to go to a trade show !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread