+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Frost

First Frost

and it was a close call!

There was ice, not frost, ice on the front wind shield of my car. I didn't have time to check out my plants which were unprotected.

So, the first thing I did when I arrived home was to check to see what damage was done.

There was NONE! Wow! That was close... TOO close!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Whew ! You dodged that one !
    I had to round up the herd of dl seedlings, clematis, peace lilies, sword ferns, azalea, hydrangea and jasmine and corral them in the garage since Sunday night(freeze warning). Looks like the temps are back up again tonight and they can go back out--for a short while. Obviously I need to get half of them in the ground and the other half in the house. Actually its more than half in the ground if I count all the seedlings.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    It's too late to be planting DL seedlings in the ground, kiddo, looks like you'll be bringing them indoors, or sink the pots and mulch like crazy!

R
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca, Is it really too late? The daylilies I have are all in 1 gal pots. I was just going to carefully remove them from the pot and slip them into the ground. We got down to 37 degrees overnight, but it will only be a day or two until the first frost. If you feel they would be better grouped together on the south side of the house and maybe covered with wh plastic, I'll do it. When would you plant in the spring?

I picked the wrong time of the year to go to Italy----is there ever a best time for a gardener? It's much harder to go mid-winter. I should have been planting the dl in Sept. The garden was just completed the first week of Sept. It will probably be best to let the beds "rest" over the winter. I also wanted to transplant some perennials. Should they wait until early spring? I'm ready to button up for the winter, myself. Time to do some quilts and planning.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    I dunno ‘Becca….I’m going to try to get them all in on the south side of the ‘new’ house. I’ll use cotton seed hull mulch(just like a warm fluffy blanky). I think the community potted seedlings will have to come in—they are pretty flimsy looking and it didn’t help that my dog stepped into them while vaulting over the larger dl pots. I hate having wet soil in the house ‘cause that equals—fungus gnats ! Augh ! It’s just one big do-loop or maybe doo-doo-loop !

Sandi- Any time is a good time for a vacation in my book !

Blog Entries
    In MHO, it would be very risky to plant anything in the ground in a zone 5 garden this time of the year. I would also not cover potted plants with plastic until after the ground has frozen and even then, I would be very leery of doing so. Better to have the pots on their sides and covered with a light weight, non-packing mulch like pine needles (pine straw) to at least 6 inches thick, if not better.

I lost nearly 100 potted daylilies last winter because I failed to follow my own advice and judgment.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, I am so glad that I don't have to worry about freezes quite yet (knock on wood)!

We are expected temps in the 40's to low 70's this weekend. That will be nice.

However, despite the fact that we have had 68" of rain so far, there hasn't been any in about a month. The ground is terribly dry except for where I have watered. The sprinklers need to start running again tomorrow.

This surely is crazy weather that we have had, but I am still grateful for that cold front that pushed H. Wilma away from us. We still have several sections of fence in need of repair.

I had to dig up a section of the garden to let a bulldozer in so that the neighbor's stump could be removed. Many of those plants are dwarf cannas, so they have to be replanted this weekend before I lose them. There wasn't time to put them in pots, so they are in old Walmart bags.

There are also numerous Gerberas that had rooted through 4" pots and were so happy that I hated to disturb them. They are doing okay, so far... Still, they need to go back into that bed.

I do like this time of the year. Fortunately, I still have a month of planting before I have to quit on some. Things like ROS can be planted while dormant, so I have longer on those. Knock on wood, again!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Rebecca- Believe me I would love to do anything that is not only the right thing to do but also easy ! I agree that they key to overwintering pots is to keep the sides as warm as possible. I'd even dump a load of dirt around them. The side tip is an interesting twist--makes sense-is that for drainage.
    The seedlings are in drinking cups and need repotting--Can they overwinter indoors ? Will that mess up their clocks ? What is your success rate there ?
    The real bugaboo here are the adult daylilies already in the ground that have to be moved. Suggestions ?
    I hope I don't sound like a broken record here--I guess I'm just dense. But so far I'm with you up to the adults in the ground...
    zone6
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-27-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Ann and all, We had our first frost and freeze both last night. We got all the inside plants inside Sunday. Our first frost date is Oct. 13 so we were actually a little late. Tomorrow I go search for pine needles. I have a lot of pots to mulch and rearrange so they will be snug.
    It is supposed to be warmer this weekend so I have time to get it together a little.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread