+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hurricane Wilma

Blog Entries

Hurricane Wilma

Hurricane Wilma made landfall early this AM as a cat 3, stronger than they first thought it would.

I'd like to hear from our South Florida members as soon as possible so we know y'all are okay.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Dawn posted on the daylily forum, but so far I have heard from no one else.

This was truly a bad storm, and I fear that some may think it is not as bad as Katrina or Rita. But still, it was a rough one. I am not sure that we have any members that for south, but if there are any, I surely hope they will let us know how they are doing.

Dawn has power, and that is a Biggy when it comes to these storms.

Gosh, I am glad this season is about to come to an end.

Thanks, Rebecca, for checking on our friends. So many are quiet and don't say much, but I am sure some are hurting.

Let's hope for a better year next year!

And for recovery...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Mom lives in Jupiter FL--east coast, 2 hours north of Miami, about a half hour north of West Palm Beach. The eye went right over Jupiter(and many other places). Back end of eye was worse than front. Minimal Structural damage--ripped screen on outside patio, bent ficus. Palm tree miraculously stayed up this time--the last time one fell ! No electric. Can get calls but can't make calls. Mom sounded shook up last night(after the storm) and said the winds were unbelievable. The doors were shaking. Worse than the 2 last year in intensity but had more damage last year(now of course she still had not had anyone take that close of a look outside yet).

(Read that an 82 year old woman was crushed by a sliding glass door that blew in--Stay away from all doors during a hurricane !)
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-25-2005 at 12:35 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

I am so glad that your Mom is okay. Is there any word as to how long before she gets power again?

Hopefully, they are getting some of this cold front. It was down right cold here the last couple of mornings. Hunter said there was frost on the roof of his school this morning. Yikes!

At least I have the greenhouse plastic for the porch now. I have to start getting everything ready to put it up this weekend. I can't believe that it has turned from hot to cold so quickly.

Yep! Stay away from windows and doors during any kind of tropical storm. You never know what can happen.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I don't know about a power on date. I didn't call tonight(yes, I feel gulity but I prefer to call when she knows I'm going to call so she doesn't get startled and race to the phone and if something were to happen I'd feel guilty over that !). We usually talk Sun morning and Wed night. I'll be talking with her tomorrow night. I had already preplanned phoning her last night so she was all ready and waiting at the phone. I submitted a help request to Bell South and got an auto reply stating: "A repair report has been generated to have your trouble cleared as soon as possible but no later than 11-23-05 by 7 p.m. Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience. We appreciate your business. Thank
    you for choosing BellSouth."
    11-23-05 ??!! and "choosing" BellSouth(what choice, it's them or a cell phone). Anyway, I think the phone should be fixed much sooner than that; it was last year. Thank goodness I can call in at least. But Mom has Lifeline so calling out would be good too ! I'll update tomorrow ! Thanks for asking.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Our neighbor didn't get power back until days after we had it. They forked out the bucks, and it sure is NICE! It is connected to natural gas which is rarely affected by hurricanes.

A BIG generator....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I think I'll start saving some money for one of those! How nice to have power durnig the dog days of summer.... It's worth every cent and probably a lot more cost effective than pouring gas into a little one and losing food in the fridge and feezer!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread