+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can growing paperwhite bulbs be mailed ?

Blog Entries

Can growing paperwhite bulbs be mailed ?

Can paperwhite bulbs that are already sprouting(some sprouts are up to 4-5 inches) be taken out of their pot and mailed and then planted and expect blooming ?
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-23-2005 at 02:54 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

You do come up with some tuff ones, don't ya, Cathy?

Paperwhites are HARDY and will take a lot of abuse. I have dug up some, dropped one inside the bed and didn't notice it until weeks later when I found the bloom.

It's a toss of a coin as to whether they will bloom. Are they new bulbs that have been forced? If not, it is still a toss of the coin. Sometimes, they bloom a second year after being forced, and sometimes not....

Mine are all in the ground, and I don't see any coming up yet. Won't be long, though!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm not going to mail them afterall. I have two pots of them and decided to pretty one up and give it to my boss's wife. We swap seeds and plants.
    Since I am a pack rat, I saved all the decorative cellophane and fabric doilies that go inside the cellophane as well as all the silver stretchy rubberbands with bows from all the Easter plants I rescued from Church last year. I even have clear plastic drainage saucers. So, I chose a clear cellophane with daisies on it and a yellow doilie to put inside it and wrapped up a pot of paperwhites. I then poked holes through the covering where the pot holes are. It's like being a mini-florist !
    The bulbs were dry so I gave them a drink of Superthrive plus Miracle Grow. They have been in the dark and are about 6 + inches tall and are just ready for bright light and I hope--flower production ! Or I will be very embarassed !
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread