+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shrimping Industry

Shrimping Industry

I know that this is not a gardening topic, but it is closely related to the farming industry. It is also close to my heart as I watch it happen. I have to tell you that real Gulf shrimp are 1000 times better than the imported stuff. Oh, well...

Here ya go!

http://www.wkrg.com/servlet/Satellit...21news%21local
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I saw a piece on that topic on the NBC Nightly News last night and couldn't understand why the shrimp prices just didn't go up. Duh! The usual answer thanks to your post..foreign imports.. I was amazed to hear that even after bringing in $60,000 in Gulf shrimp that the fuel for the trip would be $50,000(!!!!) and the $10,000 would still dissipate to other expenses leaving virtually nothing.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Shrimpers

Over 100 countries have a shrimping or shrimp farming industry. More than 50 import to the US. Some governments subsidise their shrimp industries and imports to the USA.

Many states -- Ohio, Kentucky, Florida, South Carolina and Arizonia among others are experimenting with shrimp farming in the USA.

The traditional coastal shrimper is indeed having a tough time. The next time you go to the grocery store check to see where the shrimp come from. Even those displayed "fresh" on ice may very well be imports.

+ Reply to Thread