+ Reply to Thread

Thread: it is good not to mow

it is good not to mow

I was walking the dog this week and found a lovely surprise in my own yard. I haven't mowed because it has been so dry. The little bit if rain must have encouraged somethings to reemerge. Anyway a found a bloom of pink shooting star. As I dug around it I found it was a good sized clump. I was exited. The clump is now in the front flower bed to winter over. Hopefully I can divide it next year.. I didn't want to disturb it too much right now.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

I had never heard of this plant. But wow! I looked it up, and gee, that is one nice plant with a beautiful and interesting bloom.

Do they grow in the wild or did it just reseed itself there?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Torenia Clown is an annual that self sows itself quite a distance away from where it was orignially grown. I have found some in my neighbor's yard (across the street and down one). I even find them years after I grew them.

I found one a few days ago in the back yard under the one remaining old pecan. What a treat!

I have also found a Butterfly Clerodendrum that has apparently been planted by birds. When I first saw the leaves, I thought perhaps that was it. So, I marked it off and sure enough, it is going to bloom in a few days. I am anxious to see if the blooms are blue like the mama plant. This particular shrub does not produce very many seeds, so I was surprised to say the least to have it pop up over 40 feet away from the mother.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, The shooting star is a wild flower but I have never seen it around here so I have no clue where it came from. It has bloomed continually since I moved it. We tried to get a pic but could not get a good one.
    I hope for more surprises like this one.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread