+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing/Planting in Landscape Fabric

Blog Entries

Removing/Planting in Landscape Fabric

I cannot stand landscape fabric ! I tangled with it for the first time a couple of years ago whilst saving some daylilies from a home being torn down. The landscape fabric won the battle.
    Now I found to my dismay that the new home I am moving to has the DREADED LANDSCAPE FABRIC !
    What is the best wat to plant in this stuff ? Do I cut it with a knife where I want to plant or try to find the ends of this stuff and rip it up(not as easy as it sounds--finding the ends isn't easy).
    Has anyone out there figured out how to win the battle with this stuff ?
    Thanks,Cathy
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

If it were me, and it is for a daylily bed, I would yank it all up. You don't have to find the end. Just start in the middle, cut the width of it (may have to dig for that), then start pulling or digging to get it out of there.

I love landscape fabic in multiple layers over LOTS of newspapers for areas where I place my potted cuttings and seedlings. However, the best that I have found is Hunter's old above ground pool. It split on the side after Ivan, so I had it cut into two sections, and my potted plants are sitting on the fabric lined side of those sections.

When I want to move the sections to another area, I can. In the meantime, it is killing any grass that is trying to grow underneath it. Hey, and the stuff is too big and heavy to blow around during a minimal hurricane.

It sounds like your new home is going to be some work, but quite a nice place to call HOME for your new daylilies!

Thanks for the good news and the smile you bring to my face when I read the excitement in your posts.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Cathy,

My "Gabby" quite good at pulling up landscape fabric! The little stinker pulled up a small section I had in my "Liberty" bed just the other day. Getting it off the ground in the back yard where I put my potted plants might take him a while longer though!

Seriously though, just slice it up in sections to remove it, at least for your Daylily bed, for mixed beds I'd just cut big "X's" peel it back, dig the hole and plant. Just tuck the corners under the plant before you back fill all the way.

Rebecca

He may look like an angel. . . but he ain't!
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Dazed,
    I'm like you I'II never ,never ,never use fabric again.I used it years ago thinking it would stop my weed problems.As you know when the roots started growing thru the fabric it was a nite mare,I ripped it all out.
    I have a dump truck I use for hauling mulch,I always tell My customers not to use it if I get a chance.
    my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks
    tony 3542

Good luck Cathy,

I'm with you on that stuff. As silt and mulch compost on top of it. weed seeds will germinate and send roots down through it, and they are impossible to pull out. When your daylilies spread over next to it, you will tear them up trying to seperate them. It may take a while to get it all up, but it will be worth the effort down the road.

The way I've done it in the past was to cut strips that I could handle, and chop the underside with a large knife as I pull up.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the validation of my dislike for LF as well as suggestions on how to get the upper hand with it. I am most likely going to tangle with it tomorrow. I went there today to scope things out. My next nemesis is going to be English Ivy ! Augh ! These people were obsessed with covering the ground with next to impossible to remove 'stuff' !

Rebecca- Gabby is just beautiful. What a darlin' !

Ann- I had to read your post agin to make sure I wasn't reading about those plastic pools. If I had read that you found a use for them I'd have to kick myself as WM was selling them end of season for $2. $5 if they had a 'slide'. Somehow I don't think the plants would need a slide. Weeeeee! But you were talking about an above ground pool with liner. Cutting it in half was quite ingenious !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-15-2005 at 07:31 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread