Thread: Datura seed

Datura seed

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Cool!

John,

Thanks so much for the pics!

I had hoped to take some this year, but somehow the Katrina's and the Rita's did a number.

Exactly! What a great photo!

Thanks, again!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I just wish I had thought to take a picture of the pod, also.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

John,

This thread has pictures of pods, but I had hoped to get images of pods that were starting to crack open.

http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...5154#post15154

I have a few more pods opening, but this drought we are having is doing a number on my poor daturas. I have never had so many blooms drop without making pods, and I am sure it is due to lack of rain.

Still, there is hope that a few pods will make it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The pod I got the seeds from looked like the bumpy, not the spiny, one.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

There are differences in the plants, specifically the blooms, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Most of mine have been grown from seeds from a plant that was originally purchased. None of these purcahsed double purples have botanical names, so who knows.

I tried to figure it out once, but didn't quite acomplish that.

My favorite is one that looks like blankcurrent swirl, but they are all pretty.

I had lots of pods, but the hurricanes have done a number on them. They are still blooming, but it remains to be seen if the recently formed pods will have time to ripen before the first frost hits around Thanksgiving.

All of the seeds look like your seeds.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I can't believe this one made it despite an early frost, but it did. I was afraid to cover it because the branches are thinner than usual do to the setback of the storms.

In fact, they are just now getting their leaves back. They have bloomed a little, but the blooms have been pitiful.

Here's a somewhat spiny pod from a purple that I grew from the older seeds.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It's Dec. 16, and I am in awe that this seed pod is still there. I have a feeling that the colder weather may be slowing down the ripening process, but still, the fact that frost hasn't caused it to drop or whither is amazing. It's got to be the microclimate thing despite the fact that it is on the west side of my house and not the south. It is within a few inches of the cedar siding and the cold north wind is somewhat blocked by the a/c unit and shrubs.

I've been checking it every day thinking "surely, it burst open today", but it hasn't. Any day now...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Actually, there are two pods. One is quite small, and even though it has double in size, it is doubtful that it will ripen in time.

I have really been disheartened by the fact that so many seed pods were lost due to tropical storms and hurricanes, but what can I say? There is always next year.

And next year (soon to be here), I will put more of these plants in the gardens close to the house and protected from the north.

I know that at least one pod dispersed its seed directly before I spotted it being ripened. I guess that is why I have watched this one so carefully.

Yesterday, I saw a crack in the pod which is as long as a golf ball and not quite as wide, quite spiky, mostly green and a twinge of purple in the grooves. Today, it was cracked a little wider, and the inner lining was drying. I will harvest it this weekend before it has a chance to send its seeds to the ground.

It's been quite amazing to watch! I guess that is why the seeds are so expensive. It takes forever and a day for them to ripen.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here is a picture of the seed pods that I have been watching.

The little one is aborting. I do hope the larger one will have ripe seeds before the next frost...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, by the looks of the leaves, that plant has shut down for the winter, and probably will not do any more growing, or seed maturing this winter. Generally they will produce mature seeds during late summer and early fall. I try to keep all the seed pods cut off to encourage it to keep blooming until over in September. Then I will allow one or two pods to develop. Those seeds are pretty hardy, so they may already be viable.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Thanks, Tom!

I do believe that you are correct! I just needed someone to give me that little push.

I harvested the pod and opened it. The skin was starting to get soft, and the seeds inside look absolutely perfect and ripe.

So, now, I will let them dry and wait a few more weeks before starting some inside to check for viability.

Gotta tell you, though.... With temps in the low 70's nearly every day lately, it's hard to really believe that winter has arrived. It's been nice to have the week off without being so cold all day long. Looks like a cold front will be here later this week.

So far, this winter has been MILD! I hope it stays that way, but know that it won't.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread