+ Reply to Thread

Thread: River Birch & a Mystery Weeping Tree

Blog Entries

River Birch & a Mystery Weeping Tree

As I look about my soon to be new home I see many plants and trees that have yet to be id'ed. I do know that I have at least one(it's actually a clump ) of River Birch. They are quite pretty with a peeling bark:
    http://www.birch-tree.com/species-river.htm
    The tree is to the far right in the photo in the following thread(you'll have to scroll down some):
    http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...4918#post14918

Another tree which currently mystifies me is a Weeping Something. It is quite tall, very large leaves and a multitude of 1.5-2 inch thick weeping limbs. I did a search on Weeping Trees with no luck. I suspect a trip to a local nursery will solve the mystery. It will be fun making discoveries !

Oh, I will also have a tree house. It's in between pine trees but not in a tree. Yep, that's what two 40 something year olds need- a tree house !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-11-2005 at 07:49 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    the tree house:
    Attached Images  

Instead of calling it a tree house, call it "The Pout House" where grumpy people go to recover their sense of humor.

You asked about the white plastic somewhere else which I have yet to locate. If you will bunch all the pots together, wait til after the first freeze which will force dormancy, and then cover with the white plastic. It protects against wind and snow damage. It won't prevent freezing which is good. If you will take foot-long PVC pipe and put mouse bait in it along the edges, you won't get mouse damage either. After the plants are dormant, you could pile a few leaves on--but be sure to have the mouse bait in. This should buy you some time. Don't use clear plastic as it will heat up enough to break dormancy on clear sunny days. If you do use the white plastic, check every few weeks for water. You can make a frame work of PVC, wire hoops, etc. to hold the plastic up. If it is flat, you will need to brush snow off and perhaps poke a few holes in for drainage.

I hope this helps some. As you pack, try to eliminate as much stuff as you can. When I broke up my 3BR, 2Ba home to move here to my two BR, I learned fast what is essential and what is not. It will be 5 yrs in Dec, and I am still getting rid of a lot of stuff. It really frees one. I have cut back to three things: gardening, needlepoint, and quilting in the craft dept. I read a lot less as a result and have donated books to the library instead of keeping them. You cannot believe how many books I have given away.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    I like Pout House--kinda of a play on Out House. So basically, that is a place to send grumpy hubbies ?!
    Thank you for the additional detail. I'm a littleconfused by :
    It won't prevent freezing which is good.
    Isn't freezing a bad thing ?
    One aspect of the house that I've noticed is that there is an elevated deck with stairs and below that is a small patio right outside of a set of sliding doors(walk out basement). I think I could enclose a relatively big area with plastic(after I send hubby to the Pout House !!!). I can't supply heat but it would be next to the house. That side faces East and is somewhat shady.
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-12-2005 at 08:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Kathy,

Freezing is not the culprit when it comes to potted perennials, it's the freeze/thaw/freeze cycle of late winter and early spring. Covering the grouped potted plants with plastic after the soil has frozen will help avoid that cycle.

I have not covered my potted daylilies with anything other than lots of pine straw, and something to keep the squirrels out, but I may do that this winter! I haven't had mice get into mine either, perhaps because of the kitties, but I like the PVC pipe bait idea; very sound. (Thanks, Sandi!)

The pots do need to be on the ground though and to keep insects from burrowing into the pots you need to lay landscape fabric on the area first and perhaps a layer of pine straw.

Place smaller pots in the center and the largest pots around the outer perimeter.

Snow is also a good thing as it does insulate the plants from the Freeze/thaw/freeze cycle, keeping the soil temp more stable.

I would avoid using tree leaves though, unless they are oak leaves (which isn't too likely since most oak trees hold their leaves all winter. Leaves tend to pack down, get wet and stay wet, this is not a good thing. Pine straw and boughs from pine trees (discarded live-cut X-mass trees) or wheat/oat straw would work much better. Pine needles (pine straw) are very slow to break down, they don't pack and they don't get wet like leaves do.

As for you mystery weeping tree, check out Weeping Cherry, Weeping Pussy Willow and I think there may be a Weeping Birch as well.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Your new home

What a lovely view Cathy. A new home! Yipee!!!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Rebecca and Cathy, I couldn't have said it better.

If it ever stops raining here, I hope to get some work done before Thanksgiving. That's when we button it up for the winter.

I am currently enjoying the sound of jackhammer, sledge hammer, and backhoe as parts of our house are being torn apart in prep for a small addition. Our poor dog is greatly disturbed. Should be over today and the foundation poured soon.

The space under the deck sounds just perfect. You probably don't even need the plastic around the sides, just do as Rebecca suggested and cover the plants with straw or pine needles. I use leaves because they drop right from the tree onto the plants directly and there they are! A light raking pulls them off for the most part in the spring.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Blog Entries
    Just signed the listing on my house. All daylilies to be removed. I'm leaving the ditch lilies but most people don't know one from the other so I figured just say all daylilies. And also 2 rose bushes in the driveway(will be marked). I'm leaving 5 others but hope to propagate the 2. I didn't mention my 5 hydrangea and 3 witch hazels because it's a hassle to specify them and I will dig them out pronto(like in the next 2 days).
    W/E weather is supposed to be good, hope to dig up some dl's and move them to the new house. I'm glad I can do that prior to close(the people are already gone). It will be hassle city for awhile, as Sandi indicated, but I'll take it one thing at a time !
    Thanks for all the info and compliments(I want to paint the pout house to look like a Ginger Bread house-at least I do now--just wait til dl season gets in gear then it's no time for anything else but!)
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 10-13-2005 at 03:06 PM.

Weeping mulberries have large leaves. See if that is what you have.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sue. I checked it out. The leaves do not have indentations. I'm thinking weeping beech at the moment..but I'll check it out. There are so many unnamed trees and shrubs there...it will be fun trying to figure them out. I will be sure to dust off the digital camera so we can see pix at least when we try to name them.

Blog Entries
    Link to images of "Weeping Birch Trees"

http://www.mywebsearch.com/jsp/AJimg...ing+birch+tree

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread