+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thunbergia Grandiflora

Thunbergia Grandiflora

I viewed your pic of the thunbergia grandiflora. Could you suggest where I could find seeds. I try to find new vines and use them in our zone 5 every season.
    thank you
    Mary Joan

I've never found seeds on my Thunbergia Grandiflora.

They are quite easy to root from cuttings but must be protected during the winter. Mine dies to the ground after the first freeze, but sprouts back from the base when the weather (soil) gets warm enough.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

you can find Thunberigia Grandiflora at Logee"s. You can reach them at www.Logees.com. It runs about 17.00
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

I have purchased from Logee's several times. They stand by their products, but the plants are typically very small, and delvery is often as long as 6 weeks or more. Honestly, I could root the plants and ship them in the amount of time they take to get here.

They also tend to backorder and do not notify you when the shipment is made. Since I ordered over the internet, I felt it very easy for them to let me know that the products had finally shipped, but they didn't.

You will also find some smaller ones at around $7. Just do a search (on Logee's) for Thunbergia, and you will see the various sizes.

This plant gets huge in my gardens. I always hate it when they die back to the ground, though. I wish I had more greenhouse space to make cuttings and overwinter them.

They bloom and bloom and bloom. It took awhile for them to start blooming again after H. Katrina, and I don't have the normal display, but each time I see a bloom, I am reminded how much I like this vine!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I have one that is purple that I was wondering what it was, my mom got it for me so I will have to try doing some cuttings and dig it up to over winter it.
    I live in Washinton State and even if I mulch it I am sure it will not make it. I could put a tent anround it and mulch along with cuttings un case I lose it.
    It is a really nice vine.
    Sunny
    Bonnie

Bonnie,

The purple one that I have is a very short vine and is a T. BATTISCOMBEI. The blooms are an intense, deep purple and probably less than half the size of the T. Grandiflora.

I covered the Battiscombei last winter with a blanket every night that it was expected to frost. It didn't go dormant, bloomed as soon as it became warm and has continued to bloom despite Hurricane damage.

I will make some cuttings for you and ship them in the spring.

Dawn,

I haven't forgotten that you want one of the Battiscombei. I am going to overwinter some cuttings for you in the greenhouse.

I also have a Thunbergia that is more like a small shrub. I have protected it every winter, and so far it has made it. It has even smaller purple flowers, but does not bloom continuously like the vining ones. I haven't tried to make cuttings of this one, but plan to try when I have time (ouch)!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann,
    Could you stick me a couple cuttings too? I would greatly appreciate it!
    TIA!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I have six cuttings in and hope they take as I love it.
    I will share some if they do.
    Thanks Bonnie (Sunny)
    Bonnie

Okay, these have just gone on my list of things to do. The Grandiflora vine is too large to cover. The Battiscombie is not what I call a true vine. They get about 3' long, no more, but they bloom and bloom and bloom. I plan to cover the one clump of these again this winter when we get a freeze. The other that is amidst the lavender lantana will provide cuttings.

Winter, go away and come back again some other time! Things are finally starting to look more normal (not quite, but getting there) and here comes our first frost!

Back outside....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread