+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm Making My List

I'm Making My List

and checking it twice....

No, it is not time for Christmas, but it is time to propagate some plants for trade/sale or for garden expansion.

Next week, I am scheduled to visit the Grand Bay Garden Club, and I plan to bring LOTS of cuttings from deciduous shrubs and some of my pink brugsmansia as well.

I especially want to propagate Tibouchina, Weigela (several kinds), Mama's Deutzia (I love that one and want more), antique roses (especially the dark pink that Vicki likes, also Mama's and The Fairy), double Rose of Sharons, Buddlieas (no Black Knight due to hubby's error), confederate rose, hydrangeas, figs, and I want to try my hand at propagating hardy hibiscus.

Many of the above were stripped of leaves a month ago, but I believe they have recovered enough to at least try a few cuttings.

Gosh! I surely hope next year's season does not strip my plants like this past year. One thing for sure, these plants surely intend to do their best to survive disasters!

Cooler weather has arrived, so I can get those well rooted plants in the garden and start some more.

Anyone else starting to take cuttings? I know that up north, many take hardwood cuttings? Anyone want to share thoughts and ideas?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Yep, took cuttings from the Budleias about 10 days ago, did Black Knight and the pink one only this year. I've also taken cuttings form several of my Lantana and Tropical Hibiscus. I will most likely find new homes for a couple of my really big Tropical Hibiscus next Spring as they have just gotten too big for me to be hauling them in and out every Spring and Fall. A couple of the Lantanas are just getting so out of shape, and no amount of pruning has brought them back, so have cuttings to start fresh with. I'm trying again to get a cutting from my variegated Tropical Hibiscus to root. It has never bloomed for me, but the foliage is outstanding! Was finally able to move it (the mother plant) into a new pot this fall and it already looks even better.

Still waiting to see blooms on those 7-8 seedlings. Four have been, or are being trained to Standard form and the others are being kept as bushes. Also have a couple of older cuttings from my older plants that are being trained to Standard form.

All of the tender5 plants, other than the cacti and succulents are indoors now. I do still have one community pot of Amaryllis out on the patio and several coleus cuttings that will come in with the cacti and succulents. My red/purple leafed sweet potato vines finally rooted and I got them potted up a couple days ago; now have healthy, happy cuttings from all three forms I have to carry over for new plantings next summer. They will all go in the Westerly facing kitchen window. I have the purple, green and tri-colored varieties. Once frost kills the vines on the mother plants I will dump the pots and look for any small tubers that they may have formed. I'll re-pot these and store them in the basement in a cool spot. The green-leaved one that I have had for several years made a huge tuber last year and when I potted it up this Spring I only buried half of it. It will need a much bigger pot next year! There could be new, smaller tubers under the soil. Not sure what I will find when I try to dig up the purple-leaved one, but there should be at least one nice sized tuber since I have it in a large wicker laundry basket. The plant has grown very well and it is the one that produced a few blooms this season. It will be the only thing I remove from this mixed planting as I have already scattered seeds from a couple of different Salvias and annual candy tuft.

If I had a greenhouse I'm sure it would be full of various cuttings and seedlings from several of the trees and vines I have collected seeds from! Of course, if I had a green house it would also have to have attached living and sleeping quarters as well as an attached potting shed. You know I'd be spending all my waking hours in the greenhouse when the weather wouldn't allow me to be in the gardens!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Cutting time

When is cutting time...seems like all the time! But right now there are many plants that might not make it thru the winter, plus others that root best in the fall (evergreen stuff mostly).

Then there's the tibouchina you mentioned, I've wanted to try one for a long time. So I've stuck several tip cuttings in the bottom heat area, with a humidity dome overtop, and we'll see. Neat thing as we know is the cuttings cost a little bit of nothing, compared to quite a few $ for a tibouchina plant at the store!

I just love the look of tibouchina in large tubs/containers...even more than grown in the ground. It really sets off those awesome blooms and velvety leaves, raising them up and displaying them separate from the rest of the garden. One trendy area in town has them as the centerpiece of huge terracotta pot type planters, what a great improvement over the usual boring street decorations!

Not everything is worth babying thru the winter, but I'll make a place for tibouchina...along with the usual selection of pelargonium, osteospermum and whatever else needs that bit of extra help to make it safely over to next spring.

The new greenhouse here is having no problem finding potential tenants for the winter...beware Rebecca, if you build it (greenhouse) they will come!

Blog Entries
    Glen,

The greenhouse will have to be in my next life as this one's getting too long in the tooth for me to start over again. I've decided I'm coming back as a well to do eccentric who is obsessed with gardening in my next life! Tried the poor eccentric; it just doesn't work! LOL!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

MMMMmmmmm.....

That reminds me! It is passed time to make a trip to one of the local nursery supply companies and get some new greenhouse plastic. I plan to purchase the 4 mil again and perhaps double it on the porch.

I wish that I could say that I could purchase the material to make a coldframe like Shepp's, but not this year. Maybe, next! I hope next!

Rebecca, I love my little greenhouse. It needs repair, and it is small and old, but I love it. I use it just as much in the summer as in the winter. That has been made easier by the cool mist system that I installed. Having a timer to turn the water on every so often is also helpful. That is the only difficult part about a leanto. Too much moisture, especially in a high humidity climate attracts too many dangerous pests like termites.

Shepp has a perfect little setup. I'll have to find that thread and post it. It is like a detached garage with a large leanto type greenhouse attached to it.

Rebecca, there are too many things that I would like to do if I had another life. I would have to have 20 more lifetimes to do all that I enjoy!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Shepp's garage and lean-to would take up my entire back yard and most of the other half! Sure is a nice one though! Love the "Caboose" Office, totally neat!

As far as next lives, I'm just gonna keep coming back until I get it all right!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks

Ann ,
    Thanks for bringing this back.I really envy that old caboose,a perfect get a way.
    If I live to retire(year and five months)I'm going to go see my ole buddy Shepp and the Ohio nursery show.
    Thanks,
    tony 3542

Oh, how neat!

The Ohio Show is supposed to be especially nice, but I bet spending some time at Shepp's nursery will be an exceptional treat.

Shepp is quiet as of late, but I can only assume that it is because he is extremely busy making it work.

Have a great time and please say a big "Hi" when you visit!

What a treat!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread