+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hoya

Threaded View

Hoya

I love it when these things bloom. This is a bloom on one of my variegated Hoya.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Another one...

They don't look real, do they? They almost look like they are made of plastic or wax, but they aren't...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    My Hoya Plants were doing their bloom thing back in July and August, but I think only three of them bloomed then. I really wanted to put them under the lights in the basement this fall, but there just wasn't any room for them so they are back in their NE facing windows for the winter. They bloom off and on all winter, if I water them enough! I generally keep them pretty dry though.

Here's my variegated one:
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    This is a bloom cluster from the variegated one, 'Crimson Princess', I'll follow with a bloom cluster from my red-black one, H. purpurea (I think that's the name!)
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Blog Entries
    My four main Hoya Plants are a good 25 to 30 years old and have been pruned back a couple of times, at least, in that time. I know I heaven't even tried to re-pot them in a couple of decades! These are all just about the same size as the variegated one too! Now you know why I didn't have room for them under the lights. I have a smaller one of H. purpurea, but it is still way to young to bloom!

Talk about your "plastic flowers":
    Attached Images  
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Oh, Rebecca!

I don't have one like the last one. Can you see if you can air layer it for me this next summer?

I have some that will climb up the screen and form roots. I sure wish I had time to try to pot those up. They take forever and a day from a simple cutting.

How Pretty! I have the one with the whiter leaves or one that is similar to that.

They are pretty plants, even when they aren't in flower. Pruning helps to make them fuller, but gee, then I lose blooms. It's a win/lose, but mostly win/win 'cause I love them!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Did you mean the variegated one or the one with the red blooms? In either case, I already have starts of the variegated one and a trellised small plant of the red-flowered.

I don't "air-layer them, just save stem cuttings when I have to trim them back. They root quite easily either in water or moist potting mix. They just seem to take forever to actually start to grow!

Just took a look at the variegated one and there are a couple of new cuttings with more white I can take off now and having growing well by spring. Also saw that they need to be watered! Bath tub time for the Hoya plants here!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Rebecca,

I have the variegated one or one similar to it, but I don't have one with red blooms.

I bet that is beautiful!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread