+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whatsit?

Whatsit?

I had never seen one of these flowers before, and discovered it in my yard.
    I know what it is, but I'm just wondering if anyone else does.
    Give it a guess.
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

It's very pretty!

Is it a vine?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yes, it is a vine.

Our friends up north may have never seen this one, it is a tropical.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Ha! I know exactly what those are! They're blooms. But not just any blooms, those are blooms on a sweet potato vine! Doesn't matter if the vine is the "ornamental" type of the food crop type, they look the same and show very clearly their family tie to the 'Morning Glories', the more familiar members of the Impomea (spl?) Family.

My black leaved plant have been producing blooms off and on all summer.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Last month a friend at church gave me a sweet potato with a lot of 'slips' on it. I pulled them off like they said to, and planted them in my garden, probably much too late for production of usable tubers. Then one evening I was late in turning the electric fence on, and the deer went in and munched most of the leaves off them. Now they are coming back gradually.

I have seen sweet potato fields many times before, but had never seen blooms on them.

Good job Rebecca!
    Last edited by Tom; 10-01-2005 at 10:05 AM.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Neat!

I've never grown regular sweet potatoes even though they often sprout in the 'bag'.

Pretty flower! I don't recall ever seeing any blooms on my ornamentals. I went outside to check, but did not see any. I never even thought about looking for them, I suppose....

COOL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cool Tom. I thought some type of MG. But never imagined the sweet potato vine. Thanks for sharing.
    p.s. You're good Rebecca!
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    A few years ago, when the ornamental sweet potato vines first came out, I did a search to find out what I could about them. Mostly I was trying to find out if the ornamental types made tubers too. The search turned up the botanical name for the genus, Impomea, which is the same genus the Morning Glory belongs to.

My dark purple vines produced a few blooms this summer and even a couple of seeds and those seed pods were exactly like the ones found on MG vines, as well as Moon Flower and Cardinal Vine (it's bloom is very much like a miniature MG bloom.

You can find out all kinds of interesting things about plants that you'd never even suspect about them. Apple trees and roses for instance are very closely related. You can see it in the fruits.

Tulips, Lilies, Hosta and Daylilies along with a few succulents (Aloe, Haworthia) are all in the same plant Family, just different genera.

Most things I look up on searches I forget pretty quick, but if it's about plants I seem to remember it forever!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread