+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing season

Changing season

Seems most of Landspro live in the eastern part of the continent. Just wanted to share what we experience on the other side this time of year.

Yesterday afternoon the first real winter storm arrived here, with showers turning to steady rain. We'll get an inch or more before it blows by later today.

I refer to it as a winter storm because in some ways we have two seasons here on the west coast, the dry that has stretched from April/May til now, with just a few inches of rain total, and the wet that starts with the first powerful storm to push down from the Gulf of Alaska. Now we'll have 30-80 inches of precip. almost all rain, rarely some wet snow, with amounts depending on the lay of the land (in front of or behind mountains).

As miserable as weeks of rain can be, there is something familiar and comfortable in seeing the cycle of life and weather continuing here as it has all my life, and for who knows how many lifetimes before and after mine!

Enjoying the rainy day
    Glen

Wow, Glen! I never knew that about your climate. I was only able to visit there once and that was many years ago. I guess that most of our rain is in the summer months. They are the afternoon thunder storms that come from the Gulf.

I think that is one of the neatest things about my Landspro friends. We are from all over the world.

Our first frost is near Thanksgiving and that marks the beginning of winter for me. I've always considered our climate to have 4 seasons. The summers are HOT, the fall is warm/cool, the winter is cold/cool, and the spring is chilly/cool.

This year it seems we have had a longer and HOTTER summer than usual. We are starting to have signs of autumn/fall. Just a little bit longer, and it's planting time for a lot of things.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Glen and Ann,
    It is interesting to see how the weather affects us differently. We have 4 very distinct seasons here. We finally got some rain yesterday and the temperatures fell drastically. It has been unusually hot and dry here this summer also. I am gladto see fall. Our first frost date is Oct. 15. House plants will come in this weekend.
    I hope we have a long fall so I can get yard work done., It has been to hot and humid for me to do much outdoors this summer. I am looking forwards to my days off this week in the 70's.
    We don't as a rule have much snow here. Like Glen it depends on the mountains. They block a lot of our weather off from North Carolina and from up north. Love those Appalacian Mts! We do occasionally get a good storm every few years.
    tennessee sue

Yeah!

It has been really, really dry again here. I am not used to that.

So, even within one's own area of the world, differences happen and we have to figure out what to do about them.

Me? I am hauling hoses around again, just trying to water what I can...

Bummer!

But, the good news is that the high temps are below 85 degrees this week, and that helps, a LOT!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

It has been beautiful here the last couple of days. It was 74 yesterday, perfect for working outside. Still has been dry though. We did get some rain last week but not enough. I wonder if that is what has made the blue hydrangea bloom again. Not large blooms but I have seen several reblooming.
    I had to use the car heat this am on the way to work for the first time and put a big blanket on the bed. We will have frost soon.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread