+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seed Fever!

Seed Fever!

I realized something this year. Some new knowledge about me. I noticed a long time ago that I had this urge to plant seeds at this time of the year. I suppose I never really thought about it, but not being able to the last couple of years has given me a new understanding of this urge.

Why? Simply because seeds are ripening faster than I can harvest them, and they have been doing that for awhile.

There are a few new ones that I am doing my best to watch daily. Included in those are Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow. I have 3 seed pods on that one, and my goodness, I don't think they will ever get ripe.

I turned on the sprinkler again today and realized that a purple Datura had a pod that was cracking open. Oh, well, I forgot about it while working on lesson plans, but hopefully, some will still be in the pod tomorrow. I lost so many pods after Katrina. I will still have seeds, just not as many as I wanted to share.

I don't dare plant anymore daylily seeds until we start getting rain again. I intend to plant them outside as long as I can. That means some will have to be protected during the winter, but that is okay.

I keep watching the back fence row for antique rose recovery. Some are coming back in full force. I fear that I lost a couple of favorites, but that is okay. I can always find another.

Thank goodness for refrigeration. Yes, I know about winter sowing, but it doesn't always do well here. We have long periods of warmth followed by sudden hard freezes. Some plants survive that and some don't.

Gosh, though! I can't wait until this heat spell is gone, and I can start getting those seeds planted.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I, too, have "Seed Fever", but I am more likely to merely collect seeds and process them then just store them in the fridge. If I were to ever plant all the seeds I have saved I know there would be enough to cover a couple of acres! Just the other day I harvested seed from the three different "Candy Lilies" I have and I know there's enough of the "Blackberry Lily" form to cover a half an acre, at least! Lord knows how many seeds were drooped on the ground in various parts of the flower beds! I even purposely cast some seeds here and there!

Then there's the Hardy Hibiscus, Yucca, Nigellia, Clematis and Balsam seeds! We won't even discuss the daylily seeds harvested this season as I haven't even sorted them all yet. I did do a preliminary sort on the seeds another grower made for me and need to get them finished so I can put them on the auction. Plus there were quite a few of those crosses that I'd like to grow out for my breeding program along with my own crosses that I hope to grow out. I need a new bed just for all of those seeds!

I planted the last three potted Daylilies that have been waiting over at the "Borrowed Garden" yesterday evening; today I am paying for that folly! Time to go stretch out on the recliner and wait for the pain meds to kick in. . . .

Later taters!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I've got it too! Been out collecting seeds in the fields and friends gardens. Got some seeds from a beautiful butterfly weed (pink). Still watching passiflora seed pods to ripen. I'm scared they will mow that field before they ripen. That vine has had over 50 blooms and still blooming.
    My friend gave me some fanfare gaillardia seeds from her garden. I had seen the red but she had a yellow. Very pretty.
    I'm going out later to check for seeds on my client's solomon seal.
    I got crocosmia seeds from a local drive-thru that I go to.
    I've delegated one drawer in the fridge to seeds.
    I went to nursery the other day to get some more of my plants but had truck too full of my furniture to get to many. I am just so sad to lose so much of my plants (not to mention work and love). I guess I can replace most of my favorites. It is just too sad for me right now.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

You have gone through too much. I hope that everything will improve and you find yourself in a superior position. I know that you can recoup the plants.

I haven't forgotten your purple lady banks. Just no time as of late and didn' t want to disturb it, but wow it is getting huge. I know a have a long skinny box up in the attic somewhere, but it is too hot to go up there now to get it.

Somehow, I have to manage to get it to you by spring. It's a FUN one!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Hey, I'm down to one Daylily pod to harvest! It won't be ready for maybe another week, if the weather holds. (cross fingers)

Harvested seeds from the bi-color hardy hibiscus today, so if anyone wants a few (there weren't a lot of them), speak up! I also have a lot of seeds from the pink ones, but don't think I got any at all from the red ones; there weren't a lot of red blooms this season for some reason.

I've got a ton of seeds from the Columbine, 4 O'Clock, Yucca, Nigellia, and a bunch of others. I seriously need to inventory my seeds so I know what all I do have!

Did the first sort on my Daylily seed harvest. So far I have them sorted by SPUF, Minnies, Bi-colors, Dip and Tets. Found only one packet where the seeds weren't any good, I thought they were very "iffy" when I harvested that cross, so will make it again next year. It was a Tet cross with one of my MJ seedlings and 'Destined to See'; perhaps I'll do the reciprocal next year, might work better.

I even got a few seed auctions list on the Lily Auction (rmb2), have a gazillion left to get listed! Had three bids already when I checked earlier this evening! This group will run for 14 days, but I think I cut the time back to 7 days on the next group. I'd like to have enough items ending fairly close together so folks can double up on the shipping and save a little money. I need to find a cheap place on line to order padded envelopes from as they are rather expensive at the local office supply store.

Later taters!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

My clients Solomon Seal had loads of seed for me to harvest. I will sow them this weekend. THey send out roots the fiirst year and leaves the second. Talk about a leap of faith. The berries have loads of seed in each one.
    Still waiting on passiflora.
    Becca, I would love to have some seed from your pink hibiscus. It is one of the things I had to leave behind. Would be glad to buy.
    tennessee sue

I harvested two 'Little Grapette' daylily seed pods today. I'm surprised they didn't spill over. They were dried and split open and apparently had been for a few days.

Wouldn't you know it? There was another bloom on this daylily and I see a few more blossoms about to open. I do believe I have enough seeds from Little Grapette to make a Little Grapette seedling bed!

Also harvested was another Dutchman's pipe seed pod. Somehow, that one was hidden amongst the foliage of the mother plant and the passiflora.

Passiflora are still blooming with lots of cat's eating the leaves. I don't mind, but it would be nice to see a few more fruits. None that I can spot.... I need to work harder on that one!

Lots of Lantana seed here and there, but I am trying to steer clear of the native ones that are truly invasive. I did manage to kill several with Roundup. After awhile, you get tired of digging up the monsters.

I'm still waiting for the Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow seeds to ripen. They seem to take forever, but the pods are holding on...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread