+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hurricane Rita

Hurricane Rita

Here we go again....

I don't mind telling you that I am tired of hurricanes. 3 hurricane preps is enough for one year.

Sad thing is that no matter where this one goes, it will hurt family and friends somewhere along the coast. It has been really hot and dry here. We could use some rain, but I'd rather keep hauling the hoses around than to go through that again this year.

GO AWAY, Hurricane RITA!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I feel for you! I don't have family, but I do have friends in her path. Don Carr is already evacuating to Dallas and taking the server with him, so at least the site should stay up this time. A couple of the other Tinker's members are also in Texas and may well be affected. I hope all you get is the rain you need. It did move away from the Keys a bit, whether it stays that course or not is yet to be seen.

We've had some really nice rain here the last few days, all coming in from the West. Had some pretty stiff winds with the storm that came through yesterday too. No damgae here but they say there were minor power outages and trees downed Southeast of me. Now, instead of it being too dry to do much of anything in the gardens, it's too wet! Still I should be able to get the last three potted Daylilies in the ground tomorrow over at the "Borrowed Garden", and then I might see what else I can fit in over there. The seedling bed will take awhile longer to dry out enough to work and then I need to get the SPUF's that are in pots in the ground, at least the ones in smaller pots.

I've decided to have a plant give-away this weekend and will be potting the potted plants I don't want to keep as well as digging a few others and putting them in bags and hauling it all to the front. I may just set up the sign board and have folks come around to the back.

"FREE PLANTS!

SEE CRAZY LADY IN BACK!"

I will have a "DONATIONS" can set out too! Might be worth a couple of bucks! I even have house plants looking for a new home!

Hang in there, Ann! Bear hugs coming at cha!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thanks, Rebecca!

Those Bear Hugs really help. It's really hard to see new names on the roster, then when they come into the room, they are carrying a big black garbage bag filled with 'stuff'. The 'stuff' will only help to start all over again with nothing except what they can carry.

Welcoming them is easy, but listening to their stories is really rough at times.

None want to be pitied, but yet they need understanding. They are high school students suddenly uprooted from their homes and in a new environment with too many unknowns ahead of them.

Goodness knows that this storm needs to go away.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Youhave those stufents for a reason. THe lord knows I can empathise with everyones misery laid on them by these Hurricanes, but you can truly understand what they have gone through and are going through. Your heart is bigger than any Hurricane and because of that, these student will have exactly what they need. Sometimes it's a good thing just to have someone who can cry with you and who truly understands their pain. You can also show them that there is life after a hurricane and that people do come back from one a much better and stronger person for having been through it. You will find, in the end, that you have both been healed.

Here's a little love you can print out and keep with you:

Mo bear hugs atcha!

Rebecca
    Attached Images  
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Ann, Again we'll be thinking of you and all those who have already gone through so much. This makes me very thankful for the wonderful climate we have here.
    It has been dry. We still have had no rain. No chance for any for at least 5 days.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    HUrricane Rita is not looking good for all of our friends in the Texas - Gulf of Mexico region. My heart is about to break knowing what they will be facing in just a few days. Thankfully, most are getting out. Galveston has already begun evacuating Nursing Home residents and others who are not able to get out on their own. Galveston has been preparing for this for over a hundred years and I am thankful they are taking this storm/hurricane seriously.

I don't know how much effect Rita will have on the New Orleans area, but am heartened to see people there with authority and sense enough to point the Mayor in the right direction. Though not in the direct path of Rita, if any serious weather hits there is too great a risk that the patched up levees won't hold.

The next several days are going to be torture for me (and many others) and I am not even close to having to deal with Rita on a personal level. I feel so helpless.

If anything good has come from Hurricane Katrina it is that it has people on high alert and not wanting to take any chances with Hurricane Rita. People are getting out of her way early.

I'll be watching how FEMA and President Bush respond to this; hopefully they have learned from the mistakes made during Katrina. I have no doubts that local and state governments in Texas will be doing all the right things and taking care of their people. Dallas is already preparing for evacuees. The Mayor of New Orleans and the Governor of Louisiana should be taking notes, as they seem to have a plan and are implementing it without delay.

I dare say, the world is watching all aspects of Hurricane Rita.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

New Orleans seemed to be in denial that the levies would actually break. They knew about the possibility, they just didn't want to believe it could really happen.

Just like the homes on rivers and by Mobile Bay. Owners had never had the water rise that high, so they didn't believe it would happen. It did. Water was 4-6 feet high in homes that had never even come close to being flooded. Yet, they were in flood zones. People stayed. They shouldn't have. That is what is scary.

Rita is one BAD storm!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Prayer for Hurricane Season

O God, Master of this passing world, hear the humble voices of your children. The Sea of Galilee obeyed your order and returned to its former quietude; you are still the Master of land and sea. We live in the shadow of a danger over which we have no control. The Gulf, like a provoked and angry giant, can awake from its seeming lethargy, overstep its conventional boundaries, invade our land and spread chaos and disaster. During this hurricane season, we turn to You, O loving Father. Spare us from past tragedies whose memories are still so vivid and whose wounds seem to refuse to heal with the passing of time. O Virgin, Star of the Sea, Our Beloved Mother, we ask you to plead with your Son in our behalf, so that spared from the calamities common to this area and animated with a true spirit of gratitude, we will walk in the footsteps of your Divine Son to reach the heavenly Jerusalem where a storm-less eternity awaits us.

Amen.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Sweet Rebecca! Thank you!

We are already getting the feeder bands from Rita. The rain is badly needed and the wind feels good. It looks like we are going to get our share of rain next week, and goodness knows, we need it. So, I won't complain about that....

However, it is really annoying to stop at the two gas stations near my home only to find out that there is NO gas. NONE!

I sure hope that fill up those gas tanks again soon or a lot of people are going to have a difficult time getting to work. Myself included...

Here we go again! I must admit it is a relief to see that we are not in the cone this time.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I received that in today's mailing from Beliefnet, it was today's "Daily Prayer" and thought it so timely. I knew everyone who read it would be lifted up so I had to share it! Only wish I could have shared it at Tinker's, but the site is still down while Don and Marie evacuate to their son's place in Dallas. Don took the server with them and it will be installed permanently in Dallas. The last I was able to read is that he plans to have the site up and running by tomorrow.

Glad you enjoyed it!

We were having some really nice weather here, until today. The humidity is back with a vengeance! I give Rita credit for it!

I actually read something good about this newest hurricane today. EPA thinks that the rains from it, especially in NO will assist in diluting the severely polluted water there. Not only in the lake but also the coast line area. After all they have been pumping all that toxic water back into the lake and the fresh rainfall will help to dilute it so the lake itself can clean up a good deal of the toxins.

I'm glad you are getting much needed rain from it as well, I just hope it doesn't get carried away and flood everything! With as dry as y'all are that would take a lot of rain fall.

Got some work done with the seeds from my friend in Michigan today, but will post that over in Daylilies.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Actually, some areas are started to flood, not from the rain, but from the rising tides in the Gulf and due shorelines that have been washed away. Dauphin Island is already experiencing some. Tides are supposed to be 4-6 foot higher than normal due to Rita.

Texas, if it does indeed go into there is going to be in for a really rough ride.

Just keep your eyes on it, and keep saying lots of prayers for those in Rita's path.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping those patched up levees hold. Man what a mess that would be if they don't. At least the Corp is already there and they can take steps to help keep things from getting too bad in N.O.

I am actually more concerned for the population of Galveston. Thankfully most have gotten out. I did hear that some hospital patients that could not be moved will be weathering the storm in the hospital(s) with health care personnel also left to care for them. I believe Galveston is in much better shape, overall, to deal with a storm of this severity than N.O. was - they weren't prepared at all.

One of these days everyone will come to realize that preventative measure are a lot more cost efficient that having to totally re-build. Darned shame it takes disasters of this magnitude to wake people up to reality.

I can truly sympathize with the folks who had no way to get out and away from the danger, as well as those who would not leave their pets behind. Katrina will change the way a lot of things have been done in the past and I imagine Rita will bring about even more changes.

Time for me to stop.

Bear Hugs!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

More Goodness....

Temps have dropped here. We had highs above 95 degrees this week. That is tough with our humidity, and it is unusual. But I always remember September as being HOT!

I ventured around the yard after the rain. The plants that are recovering LOVE it.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries

How Are You Holding Up

Ann, and our members in Southwest LA and Northeast Texas? I know N.O. has been flooded again and that they won't be able to do any pumping until Lake P recedes.

I've tried to find out what's happened in Bridge City, Texas (Orange County) but I guess that small bed and breakfast town isn't big enough to send a reporter to. Will have to look at more maps and see what it is closest to, hopefully not Port Arther or Beaumont.

All are in my prayers, let us hear from you as soon as you can, or if anyone else hears from them and can let the rest of us know how they are!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread