+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More pineapple anectdotes.

More pineapple anectdotes.

Recently, I posted a picture of tiny pineapple seedlings. It got some interesting replies. Here's a little more pineapple lore:

They are very resilient. Here's a picture of a top that I had put aside to dry and callous, for a few days, before planting it. I forgot about it, and when I found it again, it was so shriveled that I threw it in the trash, where it started growing. (arrow, in picture 1)

Picture 1

Picture 2
    Here it is, after a couple of months, growing nicely.

Picture 3
    Here are some seeds that I had covered with water, until I could plant them. They ended up in the water for a couple of months. I then noticed some green on them.

These seeds produced the little plants, in my original posting.

Picture 4
    Those little plants grew, slowly. Here they are, at about 3 months.

Picture 5
    Here are some, about 4 months after picture 4. (Note; the ones, in #5, are from tissue culture, not seedlings, but they were about the same size as those in #4, when transplanted out of the TC medium.)

Picture 6
    And, finally, a few more months, from #5.

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Blog Entries
    John,

Most interesting topic! Do you foresee ever getting edible fruits on your pineapple plants? Are you growing these in a greenhouse, outside, or under lights?

Years ago I grew one as part of my Bromeliad collection and it did eventually flower and form a very small fruit. I'm not sure that most people realize that the Pineapple is a member of the Bromeliad family and that they do make a fairly rugged house as well as the fact that they are interesting to grow from just the top cut from a fresh pineapple. Under the right conditions they can get to be a fairly large plant. Mine grew under less than ideal conditions and still did well. Of course it did die after fruiting, even though I did try to keep it going long enough to roll off pups. I can't remember if it did or not.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Hi,

They're outside in the summer, and in a greenhouse in the winter. Hope I might get some fruit, sometime, if I have them long enough. They're usually gone before they get that big, although I've got a couple now that are closing in on four feet across.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

John,

Here is one that is just now 2 years old. It's in a 10" pot (about 2 gal.), and was started from the top of a fruit from the store. I have kept it outside in full sun during summer, and near a south facing window inside during the cold months. The potting soil is a fast draining soiless mix.

If you will look carefully you can see that it is starting to bloom at the base. I don't know if there is still time for the fruit to mature this season or not. It will be interesting to see if the fruit matures, and at what size. I'll try to remember to keep you all posted as it matures (or not).
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    I think getting it to bloom is a triumph! Lovely, absolutely lovely!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Good job, Tom. That's really neat. There was a guy, who posted regularly on the Gulf Breeze forum, under the name 'Pineapple Rave', who was always offering pups and suckers and who, many times, posted picturres of his fruits. He was getting big, full size ones. For some reason the forum was shut down a couple of months ago, and they just recently started it up again, but from scratch, so there are only a few posts on it now, and none from the pineapple man yet.
    John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

Pineapple Rave is a HOOT! He really knows how to grow pineapples, and I remember how hungry he made me every time he talked about cooking (he included LOTS of photos).

No doubt that he will be back on the Gulf Breeze forum soon. For those of you who missed my post about the original Gulf Breeze forum, here is the url:

http://iconx.com/forum/

I just happened to find this forum when researching a plant. When I saw Gulf Breeze, I thought Gulf Breeze, FL, but as it turns out, it is a forum based in Houston, TX which is a climate similar to mine, but a little more tropical. Also, I worked there for awhile and have a lot of family on the coast of Texas.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Beautiful plant and awesome fruit growing there. I have tried many times to get one to grow a fruit and yet to succeed. I had been bringing mine into the house during the winter. Maybe I didn't give it enough light.

It is so neat to se the pic of the fruit growing. Is the fruit salad ready yet? Now I hungry. LOL
    Ella

Tom,
    That is so cool! When I showed the DH, he even thought it was cool. He doesn't get too excited about the flowers and plants like I do, but he's learning from osmosis! LOL! I call him my garden helper in training.
    Lovely bloom, thanks for sharing.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

An Update

Well folks, it's still growing. Thought some might be interested it's progress. It's not as big as some, but it's still growing so we'll see.

Take a look:
    Attached Images  
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Isn't that as cute as it can be! I wonder if I took better care of mine if it would produce pineapple....

Do you keep yours in full sun during the warmer months?

What a TREAT!!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yes, full sun when it's not cold out. Inside when it is. This plant is about 2 years old. It's in a pot that is about 2-3 gals. and that is FULL of roots. I have only fertilized it a few time each summer, when I remember to, with Scotts Nursery Special (3 month time release).

If your's has not produced fruit yet, just leave it near a south facing window til spring. Give it a shot of fertilizer, and don't forget to water it.

I think the thing would have gotten bigger with a little better care, and a larger pot. But it still won a ribbon at the fair, so not all bad.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

+ Reply to Thread