+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seven Cent Elephant Ears.

Seven Cent Elephant Ears.

Hope something on a little lighter note may help folks, at least temporarily, get their minds off the horrors.

Recently, in the produce section, I found some taro root, at 69 a pound. I bought a few and planted them. They sprouted in a few days. Here's one, at about 3 months. Cost = 7.

John_NY
    USDA Zone 6/7
    Sunset Zone 34

John, Aren't you smart. I never thought about looking inthe produce. I will try that next spring. Thanks for the great idea.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue,

While you are at it, check out the Ginger root. They will often have "eyes" that have not been damaged and can be sprouted and grown as a house plant.

In fact, most produce departments have several "exotic" fruits that one can experiment with. Kumquats, Leichee Nuts, even Kiwi fruits. All make amendable house plants.

Then, of course, there are to old tried and true items, Avocados, all the various Citrus fruits, Yams (sweet potatoes!)

I've grown quite a few of these back in my (much) younger days, well before I had the huge collection of "traditional" house plants I now have.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

John and Rebecca,
    I have a book somewhere about growing plants from the produce dept. It was very interesting so I'll have to revisit it. I will definately try ginger and elephant garlic if I can find any.
    My mom had a grapefruit tree for a long time that came up from seed. Never any fruit but a nice houseplant.
    tennessee sue

BTW what is a leichee nut. Never heard of it.
    I started some sweet potato vines once. I finally got tired of them in the house so I planted them and had a nice little crop of tubers to eat.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by sue salley
    BTW what is a leichee nut. Never heard of it.
    I started some sweet potato vines once. I finally got tired of them in the house so I planted them and had a nice little crop of tubers to eat.
    Sue,

Once upon a time, about a hundred years ago (or so it seems) I had a fair sized collection of gardening and houseplant books, one of those books was about growing plants from fruits found in the produce department and the leichee nut was one of the items written about. I may still have that book and a few of the others, unfortunately, they are packed away somewhere and I haven't a clue as to which closet I put them in they may even be in the basement (high and dry of course). I haven't a clue about what a leichee nut is either! LOL!

A couple of others than sprang to mind after I submitted my last post was Mango, Papayas and Grapes (they can be trained around a window frame). Star Fruit cam e to mind also, but I don't remember how big/small their seeds are. Of course some of these Items are a tad expensive if your buying them only for the seed they contain, but it is a good way to try new fruits!

I'll be taking cuttings from my ornamental sweet potato vines to have new plants for outside next year, although they do form tubers that can be lifted and stored and re-started in late winter,

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread