+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dracaena

Dracaena

Well, it is more commonly known as a purple Hawaiin TI plant...

Anyway, it survived being shoved to the side after Ivan and left to fend for itself outside last winter.

It came back prettier and healthier than ever!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Nice specimen! Tough plant too!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

I don't know if you noticed, but there is hardly any soil in the pot. It is in desperate need of being repotted, so instead of repotting, I am going to try planting it in the bed on the south side of the house.

Besides, I have others that I started from cuttings. It is nice to know that more will sprout from the roots when it goes dormant. I will have to report next year on how well it does.

Anyway, I like this particular plant. It is Purrr-tee!

Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I did notice it was a little light in the bottom, reminds me of some of my potted plants!

Congratulate me, I got the "plant room" end of the basement cleaned up this afternoon and ready for the plants to start coming in tomorrow. The Amaryllis will come in first, but I don't believe I will be able to keep them all growing this year like I did last; I just don't have the lighted space to hold them all. I'm thinking the ones in the tubs will go under the lights and everything else will have to go back in the storage area where it is much cooler and pretty darned dark! Could put them on the seed starting stand and keep them there until they have gone dormant, at least they'll be able to make and store a bit more energy for next year's blooms. Would love to re-pot them too, but it will have to wait until I have some cash flowing in!

After the Amaryllis are in I'll be bringing in the Tropical Hibiscus, but I do believe I will be sending a couple of my really big plants somewhere else to live (I've got cuttings from last year that are being trained to "standard" form and I do still have all 8 of those seedlings (which STILL haven't bloomed!) Then the Begonias (3 Angel wing forms and a couple of pots of tuberous ones) and the Palms, some of which will go in the living room with a couple of the Scheffaleras. Then the Ficus trees and other more tender plants (like the orchids!). The last plants to come in will be the cacti and succulents, they can take a lot more cold than anything else I have. Then, if there's any room left, I can bring in the few coleus and geraniums I'd like to carry over, and cuttings from the Budleia. Then I'll have to find homes for all the other tropicals I don't have room for or have too many of.

Can you imagine how much easier managing my tropical plants would be if I could just plant them out in the gardens! Talk about having a "Secret Garden"! Sheesh!

Well, time to go read the rest of the new posts!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Congratulations, Rebecca!

Sounds like you are really getting organized, but it scares me that you are already getting ready for winter. I don't even want to think about that, yet.

I know that some are already experiencing frost, but you all have to remind me of that because the temps are still reaching toward 90 in the early afternoons here. Actually, 88's feel a lot better than the 90's we have been having.

I hope for a cool weekend so that I can spend at least a little time outside. I have some crowded daylily seedlings that need to be put in a bed sometime REAL soon.

I'm glad that you are getting organized. I bet your basement truly reminds everyone of a tropical jungle. How FUN! I know it must also be a lot of WORK!

Mmmmm.... I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me this year. I desperately need to get a LOT of plants in the ground. Wherever will the time come from???
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,,

I've been bring plants in for over 3 hours now and nowhere near being finished. It's supposed to get down to 38! tonight ; I am not a happy camper either. Especially when I know this won't last and we will soon be experiencing yet another warm spell. But, these are tender plants and can't take it that cold.

I do have all of the amaryllis in, the Hibiscus seedlings, the hanging plants that were on the patio and in the tree, even managed to get the orchids brought in and under the lights in the basement (they may not stay there).

There's the one BIG Palm, Weeping Fig, Fiddle-leaf Fig Clivia and Amaryllis seedlings (just cleared another shelf for them, down to one shelf for starting seedlings on). Have to figure out where to put the two Staghorn ferns (one will fit next to the amaryllis). Doesn't look like there will be room for my entire Lantana collection, so will have to make some hard choices there.

Haven't begun on the Cacti and succulent collection in back and the front porch is still full!

I'm wasting daylight so better get back at it!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread