+ Reply to Thread

Thread: greek oregano seeds??

greek oregano seeds??

Okay, here I have been happily growing (it's everywhere!!) oregano plants. They have taken over in the garden and I keep banishing them to pots. They bloom pretty purple flowers, but they sure don't do much for my pots and stews. Today I read article about oregano. I have common oregano, not flavorful Greek oregano with white flowers.
    Does anyone have any seeds for Greek oregano?? I have seeds for every type of basil known to man, well, maybe not EVERY type, but I will share anything I have.....or I could just buy some from Park Seeds. I only need a couple of seeds. Just wondering if anyone wants to do a swap!!
    Linda
    Linda

Linda, Sorry I lost my Greek Oregano when I left the nursery. I just wanted to let you know that the pretty blooms on your oregano dry beautifully for dried arrangments.
    tennessee sue

Thanks, great idea! Hadn't thought of it. Well, maybe someone will have a couple of seeds for me to try it out. Otherwise, I can get some from Park seeds next spring, I just don't need a whole package of seeds.....
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Linda,

If you do end up having to purchase seed remember, you can always swap what you don't need! Or, you can sown as many as you can care for and trade the small starter plants!

In gardening, nothing is ever really surplus!

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Origanum Vulgare

Linda,

I have some Oregano seeds labeled 'Origanum vulgare'. The seeds are very tiny, about 1/4th the diameter of coleus seeds.

I used to grow this herb. If I remember correctly, it prefers alkaline soil, so I had to find a special spot for it. It smells just like the leaf oregano that I use in spaghetti sauce, but I don't remember what color the flowers are.

Could this be what you're looking for?
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Thanks Ann,
    That is what I am growing, it smells great but doesn't apparently pack the power of origamun hirtum with white flowers (greek oregano), I think I spelled it right. Anyway, when I seach, I do get lots of hits on that type of oregano. Worth a try?? what fun....
    Linda

Blog Entries
    Another mystery plant that I suspected was in my garden is Greek Oregano. My suspicion came from the plastic plant identifier complete with photo and name : Greek Oregano !
    Tonight I was poking around(see the peony story) and pushed aside dried tree leaves near the plastic plant tag. Volia ! I picked a leaf and sniffed and was just carried away by the aroma !
    I went inside with it and simply said to hubby, "sniff this". He very casually replied "oregano". Yes ! Yay ! It is heavenly. I'm not sure how to use it though.

I have one more plant tag that reads "Rosemary". Well, Rosemary never died down over the winter so I could match her up real well with her 'mugshot' on the tag.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread