+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battle of the Weeds(Crabgrass)

Blog Entries

Battle of the Weeds(Crabgrass)

Friends, I have spent the better part of 2, going on 3 days, weeding my flower beds. The main culprit is crabgrass. I'm embarrased to admit it had grown almost 2.5-3 feet high and is, unfortunately, in the seed formation stage. Yes, I saw them on the soil, so I know the cycle is going to continue.
    My question is, at this point in time is there anything I can do to stop those darn crabgrass seeds from germinating--remember they are in my flower beds so I have to be careful what I use. I am assuming that if any underground roots remain that it will be dying soon anyway. Should I 'treat' now or in the spring ? (and with what)
    Is there any benefit to putting cedar mulch down now in terms of a weed deterent ? (It kinda messes up my plan to top dress the soil later but if it will help now I'll do it).
    I also recall last fall that my dl garden was hit with henbit after a rain. I don't know where it came from--if it was already in the soil or what.
    Sorry for the rambling..I guess my situation is that I do not want a repeat performance of this back breaking endeavor next year or even later this fall, any suggestions on how to prevent this from reoccuring ? (Two nights of using heating pad and ibuprofen throughout the day is more than enough for me!).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Check into "PREEN". I know a lot of Daylily growers use it on their beds, although usually in the Spring. Also check into Ortho Weed 'n Feed (?), again, I think that is typically applied in the early Spring.

Rebecca

Henbit, and many other cool season annuals will come up and create seeds before you know it! The other seeds will geminate next spring, and there will be a lot of them. Even if you had the beds completly weed free, seeds will blow in for all over.

As long as you do not have reseeding annual flowers in the bed that you count on for next year, an application of preen will keep you weed free for a while in the spring, but it must be re-applied to keep it working all season. Just don't ever plan of planting seeds in there.

The problem with 'selective herbicides' is there seems to always be a surprise in store. That special plant that you allways thought was a grass type, will turn out to be woody stemmed and it gets zaped. Eg: The same stuff that will kill your crab grass will probably also kill daylilies and iris. Read all labels twice, and follow the directions.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

If its spread by seed, Then its an annual known as
    Smooth crabgrass. Its a very common grass in gardens.

It was growing in my waste area. It got a taste of Round up.

2-3 feet is tall. Covering with mulch, your still going to get weed. You just cant stop it from growing.

I order a nice load of soil and within a couple of weeks theres weed growing.

killing Crab grass is not easy w/o damaging the other plants at your stage. You would need to kill the grass and the seed that will germinate next year.

What you buy is to control Crab grass before they germinate, similar to a fertilizer that has Crab grass killer added.

I would dig up what you have with as much root as possible intact. Dont just cut the tops off, they'll grow back faster than you
    think. George.

Blog Entries
    You can always use a weed barrier: landscaping clothe, weed-x, newspapers, old carpet. Of course this will only help between the rows.

Daylilies and something like the landscaping fabric and weed-x aren't very compatible due to the nature of daylily growth; an opening big enough to accommodate a couple of seasons of DL growth will also accommodate many weeds! Still it is great for pathways.

Good luck!

Rebecca

Are you 100% its Crab grass.

A big queastion. Is it Crab Grass. A lot of people think that an ugly weed is Crab Grass.

Crab Grass will have a skinny looking hand on top. Carefully cut this part. This is the part that has the seed, unless the seed has already fallen.

Remove this part and put in a plastic bag. Be careful that the seed doesnt fall.

If your not sure bring it in to a nursery that can identify that it is Crab Grass.
    If it is get Crab Grass Preventer. Apply March or April.

Im pretty sure this sums it up pretty good. George.

+ Reply to Thread