+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another unknown bulb

Blog Entries
    Vicki- Do you think that is what it is ? (see above)
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 04-22-2006 at 08:35 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Blog Entries
    Sorry, but that is not Lilium candidum , the Modonna Lily. The plant is all wrong, although it may be in the Family Liliacea. Also, Lilium candidum is a summer flowering bulb, not spring.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Hi Rebecca

You are right - AND you are ummmmmh....

This lily emerges a circle of leaves in automn -
    I implore you - believe me though!

"has a basal rosette of leaves through the winter"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madonna_lily

Well and I do believe that one illustration from the web might be helpfull:
    http://static.flickr.com/40/74996380_bcb3a985d8_m.jpg
    (oops - not the very best one;
    Vicki's photo documentation is gorgeous and ornamental in comparison to that)

This early first (stemless) sprouting is the reason for that madonna lilies HAVE to be replanted in August/September.

Early sprouting in late summer is not so uncommon in the bulbous lilie's relationship; one other example are certain grape hyazinths. (Muscari, M.botryoides I think)

Hans-Werner
    Last edited by haweha; 04-24-2006 at 08:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Identifying aa (any) plant by only it's copmmon name can be troublesome, to say the least.

When you say "Modonna Lily" I think of the "Easter Lily", which is oft refered to as an "Easyer Lily". Easter Lily

I have a few of the so called "Easter Lilies", or more correctly Lilium longiflorum.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilium_longiflorum

The bloom form is similiar, but the plant habit are totally different. I can not recall ever seeing Lilium candidium or "Modonna Lily" offered for sale at any of the Nurseries, Garden Centers, etc. I look for lilies, especially ones I haven't seen before.

The "Easter Lily" (most often Lilium longiflorum) normally blooms in late July to mid-August, all the ones sold at Easter time are forced. Many people are not aware that they can be planted out in their gardens and with a little extra protection (heavy mulching) the first couple of years, they are quite hardy and will come back every spring as well as multiply. They are a very low tolorance for remaining to moist though so care must be taken to provide these bulbs with excelent drainage. I dig the planting holes bigger and deeper than needed to accommodaate the bulb(s) and back fill with gravel and add a few inches of soil on top of that before placing the bulb in the hole. The bulbs roots will seack out the soil as well as making anchorring roots on the stem at ground level. The plant will produce off-sets in this area as well as in between the scales of the bulbs.

Lilium longiflorium make wonderful container plants, but will not winter over in a pot and must be stored indoors in a frost free area, or planted in the ground as soon as the last bloom has finished. Better suited for container growing are any of the numerous Asiatic lilies and they are hardy enough that they will winter over in a pot, as long as the potting mix used has near perfect drainage.

Rebecca
    Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment.
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

When you say "Modonna Lily" I think of the "Easter Lily"...

Hi, Rebecca:

I included the correct botanical L.candidum for the name of the lily I referred to - in my previous post.
    Now furthermore, neither a modonna lily nor a L.candidium do exist. A google search gives clear info about the identity of the madonna lily:
    http://images.google.de/images?hl=de...he&sa=N&tab=wi

madonna is the brief form of ma donna = my lady
    This lily is the "whitest" (L.longiflorum buds are far greener) and with its brilliant and pure glistening shining it became the symbol of virginal purity and thus for Madonna Maria.
    In several pictures of this lily even the anthers were omitted to underline virginal innocence.

Hans-Werner

Blog Entries
    Hans,

You must forgive my mis-spelling.

I was just trying to say why I and perhaps none of the rest of us here even thought to look at the "Madonna Lily", L. candidum.

My apologies,

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

none of us...

That is interesting,
    Rebecca:

This lily was imported by the Romans presumably from the Middle Orient to South Europe. In Germany it is (still) rather well established I believe; at least is it well known among enthousiasts of bulbous plants. It is said to be preferably found in "old gardens of countrymen".
    My parents are growing a very very small stock of these in their garden. Unfortunately these plants do not exhibit an optimistic forthcoming because the soil consists of acid loam which is poor in lime. This species loves limestone!
    The special growth behaviour I mentioned is unique among the genuine lilies and it demands that replanting should occur in late summer.

The performance of Vicki's plants was so great even in this solely "vegetative state" - I would presume that the respective flower scapes will make a great show! Unfortunately the pure species does not produce seeds, solely the var. salonikae is apt to.

I am hopefully looking forward to news from Vicki.

Kind regards
    Hans-Werner

New pic

New pic on the unknown bulbs. I did plant this, my first or 2nd yr. gardening. Either 3 or 4 yrs. ago. This year it is doing something different, that I haven't seen before. That would be cool if it was a 'Madonna Lily'. Thanks for all your's help.

p.s. Welcome Hans! I've been gone awhile, and don't recall welcoming you before.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by vicki; 05-01-2006 at 08:46 AM.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Vicki,

I must say it really "looks" like a lily to me now! As for the different look, I'd say it means it could ery possibly bloom this season! I true,y hope it does as that would end any questions about which Lilium it is once and for all! My money is on Han's prediction that it is, indeed, the Madonna Lily.

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thank you,
    Vicki:

The plants are looking good and there are at least 2 stalks emerging in the center of this cluster - and these will reveal the predicted identity... with numerous pure white blooms and a veritably stunning fragrance.

Please take care and examine these precious plants carefully whether any leaves are/become damaged (holes).
    A certain BUG loves to eat them!
    Lilioceris lilii

Hans-Werner

Blog Entries
    I was hoping it hadn't made it's way to the States, wrong! Here's a linck with more than you wanted to know about these decepively beautiful devils!

Red Lily Beetle

Han's thanks for the heads up! With all the lilliums I grow I need to be aware of this little beastie!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

Thank you much Hans. Ooh, what a nasty little bug. I love lillies and white will be a welcome color, too.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

...link .. about these beautiful devils

Thank you,
    Rebecca:

That is interesting and warning news.
    constant vigilance is essential!

These animals let themselves drop onto the soil if they are disturbed. This makes "collecting" somewhat difficult.
    And guess; WHEN you have caught one and hold it tight it will make noise; it "cries"

Hans-Werner

Madonna lily bud

Excited to see this!
    Attached Images  
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Vickki,

I am so excited for you! And ya know, there will be more than one bud when the inflorescens grows out. If you get any of the rain we've been getting here today, that should happen pretty quickly!

Keep watching it!

Rebecca
    - R. Buckminster Fuller

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast