+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chinese Fringe Flower - Loropetalum Chinensis

Question Chinese Fringe Flower - Loropetalum Chinensis

Has anyone tried to reproduce these plants from cuttings, layering, etc??

How does it do under mist??

I got a plant give to me and took cuttings and have them in the greenhouse now about month old don't look the best but they are trying to put on the purple flowers .I hope they make it.
    gene
    Gene

Yes, they are easy

The key is either soft or firmwood cuttings, 1000 ppm IBA hormone; 3 perilite: 1 peat, mist. rooting in 4-6 weeks. Remove from mist once rooted and fertilize lightly.

They like sun or medium shade, prefers acid, moist, well-drained highorganic matter soils.

Loropetalum- I have rooted many in sand beds under mist..only 4 or 5 did not root out of about 150 cuttings(this was back last summer and outdoors)
    The fringe tree is very difficult to root..according to a propagation book I have...but I have not tried it. I do have some seeds that I plan to plant(I should've already planted them ...guess I will have to store them in the frig now...
    If anyone has rooted these , I would also like to know how it done....
    steve

What is difference between Loropetalum and Fringe tree?

What is the difference between the two??

Thumbs up I found Fringe Tree - Chionanthus virginicus

I found it - Chionanthus virginicus. Stratify seeds for 1 year at 41 degrees (thats what it said), or by layering or grafting. Grafting to what I have no idea.

They say it is an excellent plant for the south as an ornamental and very fragrant white flowers.

Are you asking the difference in their rooting capabilities ?
    The book I have says that the chinese fringe tree and its cousin grey beard tree are difficult to root. Said the author tried several different type of rooting them with no sucess. It reported only a few rooting from the fringe tree out of many cuttings.
    Hope this is what your were asking
    steve
    p.s. give some a try you may find the secret to rooting them !!!

Chionanthus retusus- chinese fringe tree
    Chionanthus virginicus- Grancy graybeard tree

The graybeard tree seeds take two years to sprout. They have to go through 2 winters or you could try to seeds incubated in gibberellic acid to speed up the stratification.
    Fringe tree also doubly dormant.
    You can graft onto a Fraxinus ornus(I still don"t know what that is)...using a side graft

There should be no confusion

I agree that the "Fringe Tree" is different from the "Chinese Fringe-Flower", but the question was about Loropetalum Chinense (family Hamamelidacease)

The fringe tree may very well be hard to propagate by cuttings. I don't know, never tried it. But, in response to the original question, I have propagated Loropetalum, and they are not all that hard. Wait until the new growth gets ripe enough that it will break when bent, take about 6" cuttings, strip about half the leaves off, dip in hormone, and stick them in medium Under mist you can root about 80% of them. Without mist, expect only 25%.

So Sorry
    I was confused myself. Yes the Loropetalum is very easy to root under mist. Somehow I got on the fringe tree and it was fringe flower was the inquiry.
    My apologies
    steve

Easy mistake to make Steve, I've gone out of my way to make worse. Feel free to straighten me out when I need it, which is often. It was not my intent to argue with you, I just wanted to make sure the original question was answered, all is well.

I had been reading posts on this board for some time before I joined. The folks over here seem to be really helpfull, and friendly, I like that.

Hi Tom
    No offence was taken...glad you corrected me. I need to read more carefully though . I agree this is a very nice board and lots of infomation too.
    steve

Thank you all I just learned a lot from these posts Ann you sure have a lot of great people here keep them signing up we'll all be smarter Gene
    Gene

Currently in Bloom!

This week, Loropetalum are in bloom all over my side of town. What a beautiful landscape plant!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread