+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Almost forgot...

I would really hate to see this one die. It is huge and loaded with grapes. I think we will have to build another arbor underneath it. I'm not sure.

You can see the fruit because what remains is hidden within the structure or leaves.

My golden scuppernong....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The hidden fruit

It's hard to take a pic without a flash....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blue

The garage cat stayed hidden inside the garage all day and was leary to venture out. Animals somehow know how to take protection from the storms.

We went out often to check on her and make sure she was not scared. She didn't seem to be.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Cathy,

That is only half the pots that were in that area when the tree went down on them.

On top of that, there is another area where I have pots that is even larger than this one. My daylily seedlings were in a more protected area, but still subject to having a tree fall on them. They were just more protected from the north winds.

One of my epi's had four blossoms on it. I took them into the patio, but only one of the blooms survived. It may open tonight, and if it does, I will miss it. It has been raining, and believe it or not, we needed a little rain.

Please continue to pray for the coast just west of me. Devastation starts about 10 miles from here (both south and west).

My heart breaks for the sorrow and sadness. It is difficult to fight being depressed, but we are all trying very hard and staying very busy.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Postive Attitudes

Despite devastation to many in the community where I spent my childhood - Bayou La Batre, AL.

There is a video clip in the following report which shows a damaged home and what it looks like inside after flooding. This is not storm surge, this is rising water from the bayou...

If you want, take a peak and you can understand some of the heart ache that is going on here.

http://www.wkrg.com/servlet/Satellit...=1128767638388
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

If I seem a little down or quiet at times, please be patient with me. First H. Ivan, then Dennis, then Katrina and finally Rita (the worst of H.'s within a year's time has done of number on some of my gardening efforts. I just wish I had more time to deal with the problems and fix them.

I took a few pics, but some I will take later.

The after effects...

This is my golden Scuppernong. I don't know if it will recover, and I don't know how we are going to fix the support system. The posts are not rotted. They are in cement, but we had so much rain and so much wind, the whole structure just twisted.

Here is what it looks like today. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The 'Eating' Pear Tree

As opposed to canning...

They tasted like a Bartlett, only they were larger.

There was no uprighting this one, but look at all the sprouts coming from the roots!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

No sprouts...

from my seedling pecan tree! It was here when I bought the place 20 years ago. It produced small, but yummy nuts and was loaded this year.

I will miss this one!
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I still haven't figured out how we are going to fix the grape arbor, but I have been watching for signs of life and haven't seen any. Still, I hoped and almost daily, I've gone to the back quarter to check. Last weekend, I checked my neighbors. Theirs has leaves started to sprout, and I hoped even more....

For you see, these are supposed to be male/female plants. Their's does not bare fruit like mine has, but I think mine has been dependent on their's for pollen.

Yesterday, I noticed what appeared to be tiny little buds forming. Today, the buds are more visible, and guess what?

I found little bitty leaves sprouting! There is hope! There is hope!

But I still have to figure out how to fix the arbor. The posts are not rotten. They are in cement. The ground was just soaked for too long when the winds came. The top rails gave way because they are 1 X 4's. Gotta use heavier top rails next time, huh?

Wish me luck on saving this beauty. You have to realize that the main trunk on this vine is 6" in diameter. I have had it for a very, very long time and planted it as a little bareroot twig, so it is still my baby...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Landspro is like a journal, a journal shared by the many friends I have made here.

The grape harbor was never fixed, and there is still lots of work to do. So many more things have happened since then.

I am retired now, so hopefully I can get lp and my gardens back on track. I have missed all of you!

I hope and pray that 2016 will be a GREAT YEAR (no hurricanes or tropical storms, etc.,etc.)...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I hope we don't have any hurricanes this year too.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5