+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

The sadness keeps pouring in, and that is hard. This afternoon, I took a break from cleanup and watched the news. It hit me, and I cried. Not tears of sadness, but tears of pride.

You see, some local people near Bayou La Batre decided to set up a drop off for supplies to go to Pascagoula, MS which is about 20 miles from me. Suddenly, despite troubles getting gas and many still without power, people were arriving with all kinds of bedding, washing machines, clothing, baby supplies, you name it. As I watched, two more 18 wheelers pulled up to volunteer to help.

Gee, I am proud to be an American! It's not just about what the government can do for us and how fast they can do it, it is about Americans and communities reaching out to help each other even when they themselves are suffering.

It's been a good day, but I am mighty tired and worn. Hey, guess what! I still have a few blooms despite it all! Little grapette is definitely a keeper. It bloomed the day after the storm and hasn't quit even though it was on the side of the house hit the hardest by winds. I do believe I will plant the seeds from those pods first.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Shucks, Shepp and others from Ohio...

I keep forgetting to tell you that there was a Salvation Army truck at the gas station less than a mile from my house two days after the hurricane. The station had no power and was not opened, so he simply turned around and left.

I couldn't help but notice that it said, "Columbus, OH" on the side of the truck.

Indeed, we appreciate the help from all over the country. It looks like many will be here for a long time. They said on the news this morning that some power crews are living at the state fair grounds. The power crew worker said it beat sleeping in their trucks.

And we thank you ALL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    I heard the last death toll estimate for just NOLA and died a little inside. The disaster was bad enough in and of itself, but the lives lost is absolutely heart breaking. I hope they are wrong about their estimated numbers.

Oh!@ I email my local ARC Chaptered and told them about the vacant apartment next to me. I am hoping they will contact the Landlord and talk him into donating or at least making it available for temporary housing. That would be grand if they could!

Rebecca

Finally got out

to take some pictures so that you could see a little of what happened here.

The paper shell pecan tree...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

That's Ray's camper in the background of the last picture. He still didn't have power and water at his house so he hooked up to us. I am happy to say that as of a couple of hours ago, he has power and water (well).

There are still a few pecans, but they look a little beaten. Still, there are a few...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The gap in the fence after the neighbor's huge tree was removed from my yard.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Sue Salley's Purple Lady Banks Rose was protected from the heavy winds by the old pecan tree which fell just a few feet from it.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I moved as many pots of plants as I could get to before the tree was chain sawed down. There is another hole in the fence from one of many huge limbs. Here is part of what I could not get to...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The crushed daylily pots are bouncing back...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The old seedling pecan tree...

I will miss this one! (BTW, this is not my camper. It belongs to a friend at the Island.)
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

What is left of the fig tree...

Perhaps some of it will live and can be uprighted as Tom suggested.
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The old eating pear tree...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The lattice trellis in front of the old well house...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

The 'Five Kinds of Apple' tree (one of two)...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Wow ! Where are you going to start ? Sorry about your peacn and pear trees(glad you have a second 5 in one apple). Maybe the fig is small enough to upright again. I know that trees have great restorative power but that's usually when the trunk is still upright. Sigh.
    I chuckled over all your pots; I am so glad that I am not the only one!
    I wish I had a fruit tree to send you. I did save a peach pit for fun the other day but I doubt that would help.
    I have some baby lilacs and eastern red cedars(they would just bend in a hurricane).
    Thanks for the pix; they do tell quite a story.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast