+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Amazing!

Ann,

What great news to hear that you and your family are all right! I understand that the hardships are just beginning, (little/no gas, no electricity) but how marvelous that you and your family/home have fared so far.

What a relief to see your posting!..We are all glued to CNN and just cannot imagine anything like this.

Great job also to Tom for the phonecall and info for all of us about Ann. Great Great news!

Blog Entries
    Ann,

I am so relieved to be reading a post from you! Even though Tom had let us know you were all okay, I was still worried sick. Thank the Lord you were able to get connected this evening.

I'm sure there will be plenty of work for everyone when the rebuilding starts, even if it isn't in a trade they are actually trained to do.

Gasoline is already getting scarce around here and no one knows when the stations will get their next delivery so many, if not all will run out and everyone will be in a pickle. Then when it is available again I can just see the price skyrocketing. I see the price of a lot of things skyrocketing.

Ann, again, it is so good to see and read your post! (Deep sigh of relief).

Hugs and hugs and hugs,

Rebecca

Ann

Glad to hear you are safe and the damage not super bad. Hope you are able to get some more gas. We've been watching all the news reports here on the storm. Take care. Yvonne

Ann and Hunter,
    I am so thankful that you all are alright! Like the others I have been worrying and worrying. I also can not comprehend the magnitude of devastation that they are showing on the news! My thoughts and prayers are with you all and the thousands upon thousands affected by this.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

I unplug the freezer in order to watch the news now and then to find out what is going on.

There are several gas stations open near me, but the lines are terribly long. Many are from LA and Miss, and I know they need the gas worse than we do. They have to travel further to get it which compounds the problem.

My heart breaks for these families that lost loved ones and everything they own. I feel so helpless. I guess everyone does.

Still, I feel that we are so lucky, and I am very grateful.

I'll try to log on again when I can. Phone service is awful and cable is still down.

Hanging in there and doing what I can....
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

Yes, my heart goes out to all who lost family and friends as well as all their possessions; but more so for the entire Nation who will be feeling (and certain populations) suffering from the after effects of this disaster. Higher gas prices are only the tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid.

I feel for our President and prayer the Lord continues at his side to guide him through what still lies ahead.

Rebecca

"GOD BLESS AMERICA"
    Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Spindly Bush Saves Miss. Police Officers

I thought we at Landspro would appreciate the power of a growing plant:

Spindly Bush Saves Miss. Police Officers

By CAIN BURDEAU, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 5 minutes ago

For five hours, 14 members of Waveland's police department held on desperately to a spindly bush as they watched the town they swore to protect being torn apart by Hurricane Katrina.
    Debris shot past them; tin roofs fired up into the air; a shrimp boat swept past in churning sea waters as they clung to the 8-foot-tall bush. Blasted by a storm surge some say was 30 feet high Monday morning, this town got some of the worst of Katrina.
    Three days later, the anemic-looking, red-tipped bush in front of the police department has become a shrine to Waveland's men and women in blue. There's now a hand-carved wooden cross placed in the bush to highlight its role in a remarkable story of survival a sign of hope as police go about the grim duty of recovering bodies and trying to help shocked survivors in the town of 7,000 about 35 miles east of New Orleans.
    "You can see where there's no bark," said Lisa Parker, the chief's secretary. "That's where we were holding onto it."
    Added patrolman Todd Blake: "The death grip hold."
    Waveland took a storm surge Monday morning some say was 30 feet high. When water rose through the police station, about a mile from the beach, those inside punched through a window that had been covered by plywood and climbed outside. There they found water pouring through their parking lot.
    They then formed a human chain through the swirling waters and howling winds with the plan to reach higher ground on a highway median in front of the station. But the sea surge was too strong, breaking up their chain.
    While 14 of the officers, dispatchers and other personnel held onto the bush, the rest were being swept away until they were able to grab onto the station and climb up to the roof or onto trucks where they waited for the water to recede.
    "There was a family with two children that was trapped in the waters," said patrolman John Saltarelli. "And we couldn't help them."
    But the family was able to cling to a tall motel sign and walked away when the waters receded.
    Then, the officers found their cruisers waterlogged, their communications dead, their guns soaked. Their station was a mess of dangling wires, mud and darkness.
    "The best description I have is that it was tsunami-like," Saltarelli said.
    Police recovered at least five bodies Wednesday. Authorities would not confirm a death toll, but Mayor Tommy Longo has told The Clarion-Ledger that at least 50 residents died.
    All 26 members of the police department survived Katrina. Police are already making plans to transplant the bush for a permanent memorial when a new station can be built.
    For Waveland's peacekeepers, there is a feeling of great gratitude amid the devastation.
    They recount that a few months ago, an officer accidentally plowed into the bush with his car, but the bush bounced back. And, they said, the chief had been talking about chopping the bush down because it was ugly and obscured the view of the highway.
    But he never got around to it.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Oh! My Goodness!

That must have been a mighty strong bush!

Guess what!!!!

I have POWER! Real honest to goodness power, and this is only the fourth day!

The cable modem is still down, so I am on a very slow dial up. Gee, though! I can't believe that we actually have power. They say the temps are going to fall to 72 tonight and rise to 93 tomorrow.

I do believe I'll get some things done inside in the air conditioner!!!

Just kidding... At least I can come in once in awhile ot get cooled down.

Oh, Gee! We actually have POWER!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

We never know when we will lose power if it will be for minutes , hours or days when a hurricane comes thru. I have several hurricane lamps with fuel for them that came in handy when our power went out last year . We used a charcoal grill to cook our meal that evening because the power had gone out earlier in the evening. I am so glad that you are safe and that you now have the power back on. Now if the gas price gouging will stop.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Some of the price hike is real. Some of it is NOT! I was able to listen to Governor Bush about what they are doing to make sure that it is real.

This morning, it rose $0.50 at the few stations that were operational. That will probably last a few more days until the pipelines are reopened. Who knows...

Meanwhile, if I don't have to go to school, I won't be going very far.

We are facing some hard times, but somehow we always seem to figure out a way to get through them.

BTW, I actually have my cable modem back! It's the little things that add up when all of them are gone...
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann and family--so very glad you are safe and relattively undamaged.

Watching the news has been traumatic! I just cannot imagine the helplessness of the people who have lost everything.

Prayer and money are needed desperately.
    Sandi
    SE PA, zone 6b

Glad all of yall made it!
    thanks,
    tony b

Blog Entries
    Isn't the power of Prayer a Wonderful thing! Even God will fix the easy things first.

Ann, it is so very good to have to back with us and in one piece!

There will be a new bloom open tomorrow on your namesake and no thrips to mess it all up!

Rebecca

GLAD your back

we have at least 1200 people from my work down your way 300 are from OHIO the rest are from applachian,kentucky ,texas,indiana,arkansas, and others.
    they write back home and there reactions are posted online ,all of them say its the worse they ever seen. deplorable conditions most are sleeping in trucks nite after nite on military bases.
    no food, showers .no drinking water.i hope they all stay safe.
    glad you and the family are safe.
    the plants will bounce back once again.
    shepp
    Last edited by shepp; 09-02-2005 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks, all!

The weeks and months ahead are going to be hard for so many people! I feel so fortunate.

Shepp, you are right. The plants will perk back up and regrow. Those that don't can be replaced. It's not that easy to replace homes, and I do mean homes, not houses. Homes that families have had for many, many years. It's impossible to replace family members and friends. All of mine are safe, but some lost their homes. Still, they have a place to go and so many, many do not.

More shelters are being opened, and it seems that they are filling up so very fast.

What you see on the news is very real even though often I feel they focus on the theatrical rather than the reality. TV doesn't relay the heat, the smell, the discomfort, the hunger, the thirst and worst of all, the fear of the unknown futures. God bless all that are suffering.

They announced that our schools will not open until September 12th at the earliest. Some were flooded and will take longer to open. They are talking about setting up tents for schools for the displaced children. I can't imagine how that is going to work.

I've gotta admit that I just don't know...

Thank you for your prayers. We need them.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast