+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Hope you and your family are all safe and OK.

Ann

Ann, My prayers are with you as you ride out this storm. I watched some of it this morning on fox news. Stay safe my friend. Yvonne

Thanks Ann, for the pics. Never seen a 'growing' pecan before, only the ones you can buy and eat.
    Stay safe it's not over yet.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    From WKRG News 5, earlier today:

At 1 pm...NWS doppler radar in mobile showed the eye of katrina to be over southwestern lamar county in mississippi... Continuing to move north at 20 mph through 2 pm...Surface winds of 60 to 75 mph range over southeast mississippi and portions of mobile and washington counties of alabama. Wind gusts as high as 90 mph could occur during this time. Rainfall rates will range between 2 and 4 inches per three hours as the more intense rainbands from katrina continue to move over southeast mississippi and southwest alabama. Storm tides along the northwest florida coast range from near an estimated 9 feet at Bayou la batre to 5.5 feet on the east end of dauphin island. The tide level at The mobile state docks was around 8 feet around noontime. Reports of major flooding have occurred in downtown mobile and on dauphin island parkway.

Flash Flood warnings are out for many counties, so things are looking rough.

I've been trying to listen to live coverage on WKRG News 8, but not being failure with Ann' location it's hard for me to really know what's going on. I'm not getting the video feed, only audio and that isn't helping.

Latest is huge old trees that have been up-rooted. Dauphin Island is really hard hit. Power outages; 188,00+ are now without power (state wide, I think).

Downtown Mobile is getting buffeted rather badly, with water rising in the streets, nearly reaching the traffic lights, water is over the entrance and beyond at the Convention Center on Water Street, debris flying through the air. Downtown Mobile is in Zone 1; Ann is in Zone 3, which is much higher ground.

Winds still gusting form 60 to 75 miles per hours for at least the next couple of hours.

Keep praying! Our prayers did help keep New Orleans from having a direct hit. Praise the Lord for that. Sections of the New Orleans Super Dome have been blown off and people are being moved to "dry" sections within the Dome.

Ann, I know you probably can't see this, but know you and yours as well as all who are feeling the effects of Katrina are in our prayers. Stay safe!

Love,

Rebecca

www.wkrg.com is the link if anyone wants

Yes, the growing pecan tree is an awesome sight. I had never seen one before. It really amazed me how large they are as they grow on the tree. Really neat.

Hope things are going well for you and your family.

CNN is just now reporting from Mobile. The reporter was in the downtown core, approx. 8 blocks from the bay. He said 20 minutes ago, he filed a report in the street. Now the water has risen knee deep in that same spot that was fine 20 minutes ago.

I'm glad Ann is in zone 3 in somewhat higher ground.

Yes, you are correct Rebecca. The reporter said there is no power in Mobile, so Ann cannot read these posts at all.

I just cannot believe all the destruction that is being shown on TV. It is just overwhelming. All those homes underwater due to the levee that broke in New Orleans, the homes swept away in Biloxi, the damages to highways and bridges, the lack of clean water.

It would be hard enough just to deal with the loss of power, and the discomfort associated with that. I know I take power for granted until I lose it, and the simple little things in life (like having clean clothes or a warm shower) become very precious.

May heart goes out to all that are displaced, lost homes, or loved ones, or simply cannot locate loved ones.

Does anyone know how long they are saying people will be without power where Ann lives? I know she said her school was being used as a shelter...had the fall session begun already down there? The more I think of it the more I wonder if this is going to be a long time connecting up the power to the Mobile area.

And those folks in the flooded parts of New Orleans. How long will it take to get the water out? Would those homes with water up to the rooftops be salvageable or will they have to be destroyed? Even if they could salvage them, all the gyproc/drywall would have to be replaced, insulation, etc. It just is unbelievable.

All we can do is wait and hope.I keep checking as often as I can hoping for good news.
    thanks,
    tony b

If you do a mapquest for Mobile, AL and then move out, you can then find Dawes Rd in the southwest. Follow that along and find the little wide place in the road known as Dawes. Ann lives very near there I think, and it is not a place I would want to be. Even though they evacuated everyone north of I-10, Ann is a good bit southwest of downtown Mobile, and nearer the path of the storm.

We had heavy rain and winds in the 70 mph range last night and today. We lost power and phone for about 12 hours, but all is back on now. There were trees on the power lines and all accross the roads here. Just in our county we had some 40,000 people without power but I have no idea how many are still without.

Just keep praying for Ann and family.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    Looks to be maybe 10 miles from the bay.
    Update on Alabama:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4823301
    As Ann said b4 the storm hit, it is unlikely she would experience storm surge but most likely rain flooding(we've seen photos of her yard and how easily it floods when there is a heavy rain let alone a hurricane): http://www.landspro.com/forums/showt...ighlight=flood
    Most likely tree damge and powerlines down.
    She certainly does not have electricity and may not for days.

Rebecca's link to local news again(check out the hurricane links-photo gallery and storm damage pictures):http://www.wkrg.com/

Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 08-30-2005 at 06:09 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Just a quick note to let all Ann's friends know that she and her family are all OK. They are without power, and have no idea when that may be restored.

There was no damage to the house and very little to the greenhouse, but the landscape is another story, I'll wait and let her tell you about that. They have already started the cleanup in the yard. The schools are still closed, and no word yet when they may open again.
    Tom W
    Aching Back Farm

Blog Entries
    "If you do a mapquest for Mobile, AL and then move out, you can then find Dawes Rd in the southwest. Follow that along and find the little wide place in the road known as Dawes. Ann lives very near there I think, and it is not a place I would want to be. Even though they evacuated everyone north of I-10, Ann is a good bit southwest of downtown Mobile, and nearer the path of the storm."

Tom,

I really didn't want to hear this! I don't think Ann has even cell phone service right now and I have been worried sick about her as is. Please, if you or Tony happen to have her cell number, please try to contact her and let us know something.

The latest I've heard on New Orleans is not good, not good at all. They are saying that the entire town must be evacuated due to flooding. They might not have gotten the direct hit, but daylight showed a very serious picture unfolding. It looks like New Orleans is all but gone and Boluxi is gone and Gulfport is another sad story. This is just too terrible for me to even try to think about, let alone comprehend. The destruction is so wide-spread it is going to be a very, very long time rebuilding, and it could be months before power is restored to everyone.

I pray for courage for all who have been affected by this terrible disaster, directly or indirectly. We are all connected so if even one of us is in pain we are all in pain.

I pray the Lord will watch over all those people still awaiting rescue and that all who need to be rescued will be. Let all who can help in any way do so without hesitation and for those who can not help, physically or financially, let there be a way they are able to assist. Amen

Rebecca

Edited 8:58 EST 8-30-05

Tom, Thank you for the update about Ann, We must have been posting at the same time.

Tom

Thanks for letting us know about Ann. I'm fairly new here but glad to know she and her family is ok. I'm watching the devastation on tv and I know its terrible. She's been on my mind as she is the only one I haven't heard about. Yvonne

Chiming with my thanks also for letting us know Ann is Ok. I was very worried about all my friends that were in the storms wake. Two I have heard from that they are safe and now Ann makes 3.
    Daylilies are the Lord's smile, a new one everyday

Hey!

Thanks, Tom, for figuring out how to call me and continuing to try until my phone worked. In fact, we didn't even know it was working again until Tom's phone call.

The house is fine. I need to repair the front door to the old greenhouse, but it's not that bad.

We don't have power, and probably will not for days to come, and I have to tell you that it is hot. We are supposed to get a cold front tonight which should at least cool the evenings some.

Gas is impossible to find, and I am almost out of gas for the generator. We may have to figure out how to siphon some from one of the vehicles. No one knows when the schools will open. Many took substantial hits losing entire wings. Looks like a short Christmas vacation again...

The weeping pecan lost several south facing limbs, but it faired better than I thought. It seems that the weight of the pecans kept the branches from whipping so bad.

The one remaining 75 year old pecan lost a lot of major limbs. They flew away from the house. Thank goodness.

My neighbor's 75 year old pecan came down across the fence, missed my house and porch by a couple of feet, missed the old gh by a foot, crushed the ladder to Hunter's pool and actually some limbs were down in the pool, but amazingly, no punctures and the pool lives. Just lots of limbs and leaves and pecans in the pool. I was able to remove much of that today, but there is still a lot more to get out.

The old eating pear tree is gone. The old pecan seedlng is down and barely missed the fence. The fig tree is down. The grape vine posts are leaning, but still loaded with grapes.

My yard is filled with pecans everywhere you step. They are too green to salvage.

The shrubs and roses are ripped to shreads, but they will bounce back.

Oh, the neighbor's downed pecan tree fell on my row of potted amaryllis and many daylilies. I don't know yet what the casualty is on those, but I am hopeful.

I don't know how often I will be able to log on. Perhaps every day, perhaps every few days. It depends on the gas situation. There were so many people evacuating from Mississippi and LA through here, and the tanks are mostly dry. There is no electricity to open most stations even if they did have gas.

Now, everyone is trying to get back home, and there are huge lines of people waiting to buy gas.

Wish me luck in the next week. It's going to be a rough one, but not nearly as bad as my neighboring states.

Please pray for the families of those who lost their lives and homes.

I'll be back as soon as I can...

Thanks for being my friends!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast