+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Katrina

Threaded View

Hurricane Katrina

This one is scary. I remember Camille. Camille was forecasted to hit Mobile, but instead hit Biloxi and killed many people with the storm surge.

They are predicting a 15' or more surge in downtown Mobile if the storm goes into New Orleans.

The west end of Dauphin Island is already flooded. People can't get to their homes to save their valuables. Those that are already there are having to walk out.

While New Orleans and Mississippi was evacuating, I think that too many people here were not preparing. Now, there is a sort of panic for some.

My school, as well as others, are now open as shelters. People in low areas are packing up and getting out.

Please pray really hard. I fear that many people are going to get hurt in this one.

I'll keep you posted as long as I can. Right now, the sun is shining The wind is blowing, but it is still HOT! We probably have a couple more hours before the outer bands start arriving.

I still have a few more hanging baskets to move.

It's gonna get BAD!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann'
    Like you said ,this is going to be a bad one.Get out of there dont take any chances and stay safe.I'm sure we'll all be praying for all of you down there in the eye of the storm.
    GOOD LUCK!
    tony b.

Ann,
    Just wanted to say I will be praying for you all down that way. Please take care and keep safe.
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Blog Entries
    Ann- Isn't flooding going to be a potential problem for you too ?
    I was watching the Weather Channel and the waves are whipped up very high at Gulf Shores. (I need to get a map; I don't know where anything is in Alabama). They mentioned storm surge in the bay to Broadstreet and I have no idea what that means.
    Please be safe. Remember our prayers are with you & your family(and as you indicated with all in Katrina's path).
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Cathy,

Broad Street is downtown, about a mile or two from the mouth of Mobile Bay (the northern tip where it meets Mobile River and the Delta river system).

The problem is that the strong north winds will blow gulf water into the bay faster than it can flow back out. In fact, the wind will prevent it from flowing out.

It floods here due to heavy rains, not from a body of water overflowing. I expect my back yard to flood. I may have to clip the fence to let water flow out.

In the map given at the link below, I am somewhere near the middle of zone 3. Zones 1 and 2 flood from the gulf, the bay and the rivers. Broad Street and Water Street are in zone 2.

http://media.mgbg.com/media/wkrg/ima..._zones_new.jpg

The feeder bands have already clouded the sky, so there is little or no sun and drops of rain starting. The wind is not bad yet.

My house is boarded up, and inside it looks like it is dark due to lack of daylight.

Cars, boats and truck are parked where trees will not fall on them (I hope).

I still have to buckle down the greenhouse and the patio doors, but it is too hot to shut them up right now.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

I don't know if this will work, but here is a link to one of the live cams located near the mouth of the bay (north).

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin...aphne&state=al
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Here is the live cam at the hotel next to Water Street at the mouth of Mobile River.

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin...Adams+Mark+Cam
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And here is our live doppler system. I am located a little below the left part of the 'M' in Mobile.

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin...obile&state=al

New Orleans is on the lower left of the doppler.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Yeah!!!!

We are now out of the projected cone of landfall!

They are telling us to expect 80-100 mph winds with gusts up to 140 mph. Still, that is not as bad as taking a direct hit by this monster.

The house is dark inside. The winds are calm at the moment, but it is sprinkling.

I hate to see my young 'weeping' pecan tree hit hard, but depending on how bad the winds get, this tree may or may not suffer. It is doubtful that there will be many pecans to survive.

Thought you might want to see a pic.

My 'weeping' pecan....
    '
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

And here is a pic of the size of the pecans that are on this tree....
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

This is the beginning of late summer bloom season for me. Here is one that I did not plant. Some consider it a weed, and sure enough, there will be lots and lots of seeds if any of you want some.

I don't mind with this one. It is very pretty!

The cypress vine that took residence on my mailbox...
    Attached Images  
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Blog Entries
    Ann,

While waiting for the daughter and family to eat lunch (I went over to help her get some of the plants she got from me into the ground) I was watching the Fox News channel and I am really afraid for the folks in New Orleans who have refused to evacuate and more so for those who are having to take shelter in the DOme, the shelter of last resort. I fear there will be a heavy death toll from this one People just aren't believing what they are being told, say they've heard it all before and it never got as bad as was predicted. They don't understand that this storm is the intensity of Camille and the size of Betsy. I saw the radar images and it is a monster and with water temperatures at 90 degrees in the Gulf, there's no chance Katrina will lose steam, but more than likely gain velocity.

I pray there won't be too many lives lost and that everyone who will be affected by Katrina is given the strength and guidance of the Lord to keep you safe from harm.

"May Angels Light Your Pathways, And God's Love Keep You Warm. "

Hugs,

Rebecca
    Attached Images  

Exclamation

Hi Ann,

Wow, so you are out of the projected cone of landfall for hurricane Katrina! That is great news. We have been watching CNN closely since last night. I have been thinking of you all day since it was upgraded to category 5. I guess it was Friday when I logged on to the forum and saw your post that it was projected "dead center" your way.

So then, are you staying in your home? In the Water Street live cam (link you provided) it appears that many cars are all heading on the highway in one direction only.

My son and I just want you to know we are thinking and praying for your safety.

Andrea

Andrea,

It is indeed nice to be outside of the cone, but we still face being on the worst side of the storm.

I hear thunder, and it's going to get rough tonight, so I am going to hit the sack early and try to get some rest.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts! We are at home, and we should be about as safe here as anywhere nearby.

No doubt I will be awakened in the middle of the night, and if we still have power, I will check for messages and let you all know how we are.

The phone has been ringing off the hook, but I think we have talked to everyone so all is quiet now.

Till later!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Whoops!

Just checked the forecasted path again, and we are barely inside the cone. We won't count that, okay?

Night ALL!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 4 5 LastLast