+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for 0.8% IBA

I am delighted the crape myrtles are sprouting. I have the seeds in the refridgerator as I haven't had a moment to think here for a bit and I am mortified that I must be getting them potted!! But it has just warmed up here and then cooled and then warmed again, so I think if I get busy, I might see some action!!
    Thanks for reminding me!!
    Linda
    Linda

Here is a picture of my biggest sugar maple seedling. Not doing real well but it sure is trying. Puts out funny clumps of leaves which die, the others in pots are doing just the same.
    Attached Images  
    Linda

Well, if anyone is interested. . . my little maple tree is now 8' tall and nicely shaped, and spectacular in the fall!!! i moved it two years ago out from the fence a bit more, and it will one day really shade the side of my house in the summer!! I was quite successful in rooting cuttings last spring from the spontaneous new growth at the base of another maple tree (too young to produce seeds) and so I am trying the same techniques in trying to root new cuttings on new growth from the tips of the original sugar maple that I culled this( pictured) seedling from. The other seedlings died from squirrel nibbling or drought, sadly. I never did find anything stronger than Clonex, which i think I bought online, but the tree cuttings did root from it, so I am trying it again.....stay tuned!
    Linda
    Linda

Okay, you all laughed at me, but my little maple tree is 14' tall this spring, so HA HA. And she is spectacular in the fall!! which is what I wanted. So 6 years from newly sprouted seedling to 14' tall not so shabby a growth pattern!! And I didn't screw up her pruning too much but she is skinny. Her trunk is not much wider than a quarter coin. I did have a lot of trouble with the squirrels eating the tops off of the other seedlings as they budded out, and so new leaders had to develop. Sadly, only one other has survived and she nearly died from drought in 2009, so now is basically restarting with two leaders about 4" off the ground. I may have to take her out but she keeps on trying so very hard!! If the new cuttings I started last summer take off, she will get replaced. I am patient, so shall wait and see how these trees all grow!!
    This is fun!
    Linda
    Linda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2