+ Reply to Thread

Thread: On board

On board

Ive been noticing how many viewers are on line at one time. I forget the most at one time. I have been noticing a lot more guests than members. Its almost 3 guests to 1 member.

George.

Blog Entries
    George- I bet Ann could russle up that statistic on most viewers on line at same time.
    As for 'guests', here is something to consider. I am a member but if I decide to clean up cookies and temp files then my automatic login is gone and I 'appear' to be a guest. Of couree, if I want to post I have to login. So, some guests may be members who have either just deleted their cookies(which is better than tossing them) OR who are viewing from another pc that hasn't saved their logon info.
    I'm also sure there are guest guests as well.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

Dazed lily
    Thanks for clearing that for me. I thought something was wrong. Its too complicated for me to understand. Im still learning how to use the computer.

My initial thought was its apparent that the guest has learned of Landspro its a matter of how do we make them a member now.

Well you answered it. These might be members but got hungry and ate their cookie. Thanks for clearing this up for me. George.

George,

Cathy gave you some ideas, and I'll try to explain some others.

For some reason, aol users who are not logged in as members will sometimes 'spawn' off a different guest id every time they read another thread. Once they log on, this doesn't seem to happen.

Also, there are numerous 'search engines' out there, and they are constantly probing landspro.

Sometimes, you will see more members than you see names. That is because some members choose to be anonymous and not on the active list.

Another thing that impacts the number of members active at one time is how long I decide to set the period of activity for a user. In other words, if I set it for 10 minutes, you may pop in, check for new threads, go somewhere else, but you still remain on the active list.

Sometimes, you will be creating or replying to a thread, and it takes longer than the time allowed. Your name will go away on the active list, even though you are actively typing a response. Then when you post, your name will be on the list again.

Lots of unusual things, but there are reasons for all of them, and sometimes I have to set timers the best I can and watch for any problems.

Also, if someone posts a link to landspro from another forum or mail ring of sorts, there will be lots of visitors who link to a thread, read it, never venture to look at what else is here, and keep moving. That is part of life.

George, thanks for your efforts to get landspro active again. One of the things that helps is that rather than creating a new thread, if you can find an existing one on that topic and reply to it, then emails are sent to members interested in that topic (if they elect for email notification and still have the same address). Often this will bring some folks back who haven't visited in awhile.

I am looking forward to having more time to spend on my propagating trials, gardening and my friends at Landspro.

Excellent question, George! Like Cathy says, there are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that most do not see.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread