+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Taxus Cuttings

Taxus Cuttings

Guys I think this is my first posting of my Taxus Cuttings. All my Taxus Cuttings had this kind of rootings. George.

Posting Pics

Guys I apologize for not leaving a detailed description of the picture, but I tried to post this Photo 4 times. Every time I tried posting my post got shorter and shorter. George.

George,

For some reason, you cannot preview your post without having to reload your image. I think that is a bummer. You can edit your post after posting, and you won't lose the image unless you wish to replace it with another one. I've been known to do that!

Nice taxus and great roots!!!! How long did it take for the roots to get that big? Were they rooted under mist? How long? And when did you start fertilizer?

That is one healthy specimen.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann This cutting was from year 2004. By the way this is not me its my dad at age 73.
    Back to my reply, these are Regular hardwood cuttings. No mist involved. Hand watered when needed.
    These babies were to young to fertilize. They were transplanted into peat pots as you can see and put into flats covered with soil. When temps were right we were amazed how much they grew. fertilized was right after cuz their going in 1g. This pict was taken during transplanting of the cuttings.
    I have one pict of Hills yew and one of Hicks yew. Im glad you liked it. George.

Taxus propagation

For those that don't know, George is quite an expert on taxus. Maybe he will share some details of his unconventional cutting protocol.

Taxus is a very useful conifer, but quite slow growing compared to many of the "cedar" hedging things that are much more commonly produced. They do say, tho, that fast growing plants always have their drawback...I think this is pretty well true. Trying to keep that fast growing "cedar" controlled is much harder than clipping a nice yew hedge...which is also very adapted to being pruned or clipped any way you want.

Also, yew is one of the few evergreen hedgings that does fine in a shady spot, like north facing.

Unfortunately, hick's yew is sold too cheap around here...some grower's don't ask a premium compared to other similar sized shrubs. I think this is dumb when a good 3 gal. yew, for e.g., takes a couple years longer to produce than a more typical evergreen like viburnum, escallonia, even rhodo is faster!

Little guy like me just doesn't fight it, I'll find something that gives me better profit for my time. That is just here, everyplace has a different price structure. Good for George, he does well in Ontario with the taxus...he and his dad know what they are doing after all these years!

Glen

Taxus Propigation

Glen
    Thanks for the time taken for the detailed post. Taxus is one of my favourite Evergreens. As explained they can be used for Topiary and be trimmed into any shape.

Growing these is very time consuming. I grew these in the past using Kerosene for heating my greenhouse but It eventually got too costly due to our cold winters.

I will say I tried using my misting bed. Took cuttings in June. By fall no rooting. Taxus yews grow better as hardwood cuttings than softwood cuttings. I was practically playing around. With hardwood cuttings I have beautiful nice straight healthy full cuttings, not these tiny soft cuttings that took a beating trying to prevent them from wilting. Too fragile.

I took cuttings in October. If I use bottom heat they'll root faster but how do I pot up all these of cuttings.

I took cuttings in 2004 ..... checked the rooting in may 2005 no rooting yet. I left them until risk of frost was no longer evident., which was in May. The cuttings are brought outdoors and checked once in a while. I checked the rooting Sunday morning and I finally have rooting. Aug 7 2005 and I finally got rooting. From October to August I had to wait 9 - 10 months depending when I started.

This is not a Fully automated system, but one that works. The end goal are quality grown yews at a savings. No need to heat a whole greenhouse. This system is a little difficult than some might think. Certainly not something recommended for beginners.

For Now this is the way Ill keep doing it. One day Ill eventually get into heating my greenhouse. For now plenty to read. To much to mention. George.

+ Reply to Thread