+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hot,Sticky,Humid.

Hot,Sticky,Humid.

The weather has been this way to frequently. I cant do anything outdoors. Any cuttings that need transplanting need to wait, wheather they'll survive is another thing. I think there better off to stay where they are than put them in this heat.

Its indoor time. Im injoying the sunroom that outlooks the nursery just incase I get a customer. Ill be fixing anything that needs fixing. Besides that Im keeping cool reading the posts.
    George.

I didn't know it got hot and humid 'up there'. It has been unseasonably hot here the last few weeks and so..... humid. I do outdoor stuff early in the day or late if I'm not working. I water at night at work and clean the bird bath. I can't handle the double H too well.
    tennessee sue

It's tough here, too! But I am thankful for the afternoon thunderstorms because I don't have to haul the water hose around in this heat.

It has actually been a little cooler because of the rains, but cooler is followed by sticky, really sticky, humidity and heat.

But what can I say? The plants love it, and I hate it. So, no digging or anything else right now. I make my daily rounds to harvest seeds and pray that another hurricane or tropical storm does not hit my way.

Right now, I am just in maintenance mode, and I guess you could say that is part of getting OLD!!!
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann we get a lot of humid hot ugly weather. The plants love it but people dont. I water late in the day when necessary. I wont for a while cuz were expecting thunderstorms tonight. We had a humidity alert.

My mom had nothing to do so she was out there in the garden foolin around. Her face was red and soaking with sweat. My moms a workaholic which is scary at these conditions.

HOT! HOT! weather too come. August has been the hottest month for a couple years that I can remember. Enjoy the summer. George.

George and all--we look forward to summer all the rest of the year, then we fight with the weather even then! Hard to please us humans...

I know Ann used to live up my way, or was it you just visited Victoria, BC once or twice? So you know why I don't say much about weather this time of year, with most of Landspro's members out east...

Glen

Glen,
    How near to Victoria are you? What is the weather like there? How about the cost of living? Do people cut their own firewood there? How about for jobs?
    Happy Growing,
    Vicki in West. Mich.

Vicki--I just remember Ann mentioning Victoria, BC as a part of her life many years previous...I'm actually on the mainland of the continent east of Victoria, close to Vancouver, British Columbia if that means anything to you!

People often brag about wherever they live, and I just like to enjoy the variety of all the different places on this continent...and the rest of the world for that matter. Every place has its pros and cons.

Summer weather here is typically dry and sunny, we won't expect any substantial rain until early October. Temps. are in the 20s C., or 70s into the low to mid 80s F. on the hottest days, with humidity in the 50-60% and reliable breezes off the ocean in hot times.

My paying job is running a small roofing company, so I still find the weather hot this time of year. I'd much rather putter around the yard and little nursery, but the money isn't nearly as much as construction type stuff at the moment.

Cost of living, very high. Housing esp. is running around 10 years salary where I live.

Not too much wood cutting, as a lot of folks find feeding a wood stove is a lot of trouble and mess...tho wood is easy to find in the "rainforest" here...esp. if you make friends with some of the tree trimming companies!

Jobs are easy to find the last few years, with shortages of trades people esp. Still, it's hard for folks to move here and get anywhere, with the price of housing being almost insurmountable to people starting out now.

Still, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in Canada. Didn't I say everybody brags on their area of the world...

Hope this wasn't boring, just replying to Vicki's questions. I know everybody can talk about their own little corner of paradise just as well!

Glen

Glen nice tread. Thats the thing about life, someone has to live there, do jobs that noyone wants to do. Interesting.

Back to your thread. When its cold we want it hot. when its too hot we want it to snow and cool us off. When we wake up in the morning and go outdoors and find it breezy and cold were not happy. Just to let you know that were never happy with the weather we get. This is the summer and we cant complain about the heat and sweaty bodies we get. George.

People dont see Canada as a hot place. Sunny Florida seems to be the place for hot weather.

To days weather is 31 with a humidex 41. Not as hot as Florida but the humidity kills you. Todays plans are inside the sunny room. And you thought I was going to type sunny Florida, well almost but a little A/C temp. George.

Blog Entries
    Wichita KS 9/3/05 Hot & Sticky. I set out to weed this morning but got a late start(10 AM); it was hot and humid. Hubby wanted to run an errand; I went along and by time we got back it was pushing noon. I did find a shady spot(my front door) and proceeded to hose off cob webs and then pulled out the step ladder and saw. I cut branches off a juniper growing right outside my door. Let me tell you that was a tough job and I ended up soaked from the humidity.(Maybe part of it was fear of being up on that ladder with a saw!). Ran another errand and am waiting for shade to cover the area that I need to weed. Oh, left out the dousing with bug spary to ward off the darn mosquitos! Also, pollen.com showed Wichita KS as being one of the worst cities today. I checked the site after being hit with really bad allergy symptoms during the night and wondering what the heck was going on ! Grasses, Chenopods and Ragweed ! I was a mess until I took an allergy pill....It'll probably start wearing off when I go back out to weed!
    Summer isn't all it's cracked up to be !
    Last edited by Dazed_Lily; 09-03-2005 at 02:40 PM.
    "If I keep a green bough in my heart, a singing bird will come"

It's been hot here, but not quite as sticky...

Temps are supposed to drop in the days to come, and that drop will be welcome. Especially for those without power...

Just think, two days ago, I was waking up every few hours drenched with perspiration. There was no air movement, and the house was HOT. I don't think I have woken up even once during the day since the power and air condition has been back on.

Yep! It's time to cool off a bit...

Still more cleanup to do here, and gee, ALL of our shade is GONE! What trees are still standing are void of leaves.

I'm trying real hard not to complain too much for there is simply too much to do before winter hits. More than I had planned to do, but the good news is that I will have next week off to get some of that done.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

+ Reply to Thread