+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New threads welcome!

New threads welcome!

Members/Non Members, remember there's no FEE to post to the forum. Has everyone gone fishing enjoying the sun etc. Its been more than 2 weeks without a post. What happened to the days that had multiple postings.

I gotta get my camera out but the only response will be from ANN.B. Nothng wrong with you responding Ann.B.
    Is everyone buying greenhouses or has the weather been that hot that theres nothing to post. Hey! post the weather conditions. I'll be posting some pics of b.b trees in the late fall. I have plenty of tagged trees to be dug in the late fall. Take care!

Blog Entries
    George,

Don't know about everyone else, but I have been busy with the Daylilies and making crosses. The heat here has been unbearable at times.

Then too, I don't have a greenhouse and am not into nursery production either, although to hear my Landlord talk you'd swear I was!

I do have several three year old Locust trees that I've grown from seed and this Spring I did get three seeds to sprout from a Service Berry Tree. I have no idea where they will end up, but they are growing nicely and should eventually get big enough to do something with. I also have close to 30 Hosta seedlings that I need to do something with before winter, plus another 25 that I potted up in a community pot that were pricked out from under the "mother plants".

Seems I just got all the house plants moved outside and now it's time to start thinking about getting them all brought back in, which means an overhaul of the basement plant garden area, re-doing shelving, lighting and all that other fun stuff plus deciding which plants to keep upstairs in windows and in the light gardens I have upstairs.

By the time all the house plants are brought back inside for the winter it will be time to gather all of the potted daylilies and other perennials together in their winter home, prep all the flower beds and the two seedling beds. Harvest the rest of the daylily seeds for this season, get them sorted, cataloged and decide which to keep and which to sell and then package everything up accordingly.

It never ends! After the holidays it will be time to sown at least part of the daylily seeds I keep in pots and get them under the lights so I have big strong seedlings to plant out in the seedling beds come Spring. I'll also be planning the crosses to make for 2006 and what other seeds I want to try.

It never ends.

Rebecca

Here's a question, George. I found a great posting on winter sown somewhere on the internet earlier this spring. The poster supplied pictures of their coke bottle greenhouses snuggled in snow awaiting spring. I have been trying to return to that message board posting , and I cannot find it! I have tried HGTV's board, this one, GardenWeb, and the Wintersown.org site.....but haven't found that posting. It was a good posting, the pictures really helped me imagine what the concept of winter sowing was all about. If you have any sites you would care to share on this subject, I would love it!
    So far I have 21 baby rose bushes this year, need to harden them off and clear out some lawn to make space for them or find good homes for them soon. I have grown several for rootstock and hope to try out grafting next spring, if I can read up enough to give it a try.
    Just got a video from the library on landscaping, Need to find a quiet hour to watch it for ideas.
    Happy gardening!
    Linda
    Linda

I don't get to check out the forum everyday but there is always a new post or two. Maybe it is on the daylily forum and not everyone reads them if they aren't into lilies. There are still discussions on that forum on general gardening knowledge and hints. Also such pretty pictures you'll fall for lillies,too. I found they sold very well for me and some of the named varieties can sell for a premium price.
    I read and enjoy all the forums. Love to see what others are into and what they do differently.
    tennessee sue

Thanks for posting.
    Linda, I checked out the other forums but they were about as live as the posts here. They didnt interest me. I like a site with a forum with plenty of activity. Weeell it was active.
    Ill post other sites if I find anything if Ann permits. Ill respect Ann's rules. Im too lazy going back reading rules.

Linda many Years ago I did sow Maple, Locust, Austrian pine, white pine. Too many to list.

The weather here is pretty bad until the thunder storms wanted a piece of the action. My pond can always use water. Its hooked up to the house's eavestrough.

The only thing I can do with my big trees is Tag them for digging in the fall. That might be a time where I might disapear for a while. Ill be posting more photos once their dug.

Linda, Sue, and the rest, send in your pictures. If you have a Dig camera. I would like to see the different kinds of operations. I've done my part.

Soon Ill be finishing a new greenhouse. Put up 2X6 for wirelock, Plywood on the front and back. I have all the hardware ready. Still too hot!.

Sue sounds like your close to being on track again. Im assuming your on your own this time. If you are keep it that way if you can manage. Better than getting hurt after all that hard work.

Take care. George.

George, I still haven't gotten all my plants from the greenhouse. I haven't yet decided what to do. I will probably just put my plants in the ground for now til about Jan. I will decide to start seed for sale or just please myself with my plant collection. It is just hard to imagine not selling plants, I.ve done it for so many years. I do have friends inthe business if I get the urge to pot up several hundred plants (I love doing that).
    I just hate to lose all the time and money I had invested, Plus my big beautiful greenhouse. The trade off is worth it I know. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. It is not good when you have no time to enjoy what you love doing.
    Live and learn. I'm actually much better than I've been in a long time.
    tennessee sue

Sue nice thinking. Get your plants in the ground and think of a resonable plan for a 1 person operation. Growing thousands of plants arent hard. Its the after care thats the hardest.

I havent had a chance to take pics of my 1g shrubs. I dont grow a large quantity of 1 variety, just quality depending on availability. Sue take care and dont go crazy. If your good at what you do, it will come natural. May take longer than before but thats what a plan is for. Find out what a resonable amount is without getting stressed out. Take care!. George.

George I might just try going with perennials and herbs for a start. Everyone around here calls me the herb lady. I want to carry some of the more unusual herbs and maybe find a niche there. Will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks for the support.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue,

How much space do you have for planting things out and growing them to salable size?

Rebecca

Rebecca, I don't have a very large yard but a lot of it is in beds ( when I get them all reclaimed). I can't remember the exact size but pretty small. No greenhouse now, but I have in the past started seed in my basement under lights which worked very well with herbs.
    tennessee sue

Blog Entries
    Sue,

You have a Private Message!

Rebecca

Back again...

Hi Everyone,
    Been a while since I posted to the nursery section of landspro but I still read up on what's happening from time to time. Usually it's the daylily forum that I frequent but I thought I'd stop in and say hello!
    I have a VERY small backyard nursery since we're sitting on only a quarter of an acre but I've got about every inch planted in something..lol.
    I took some stem cuttings last summer of this gorgeous shrub called Dwarf Blue Leaf Arctic Willow (Salix purpurea 'Nana' and just stuck them in the ground and they took off. I've been keeping them pruned back this year so they'll fill in nicely, which they have and I liked them so much I ended up taking more cuttings this summer as well. I'm probably gonna sell some of them on Ebay and save some to sell next spring when I start having my weekend plant sales again.
    I know what I WON'T bother growing again this winter to sell in the spring. I had grown on 85 red geraniums from stem cuttings that all came from just two plants. I mean these geraniums were nice and full and full of buds and blooms and I couldn't get $2. a piece for them because some of the local discount places had them for less than a buck. I ended up planting them all along my front walk. I also took cuttings and grew on Autumn Joy Sedum and couldn't sell a one. What I DID sell lots of were ornamental grasses, impatiens, hostas and daylilies.
    I'm in the process of rooting lots of cuttings of 'Homestead Purple' Vervain. It's a member of the Verbena family, only perennial. If you haven't grown some of these, you need to because they are gorgeous and bloom til frost! And the cuttings root in just a few weeks with no hormone or babying.
    I bought four plants this year for one of my landscaping clients and liked them so much I kept them all and got them some more..lol.
    I'd like to hear what has sold well for everyone else this summer and what hasn't.

Becki

Becki.
    One thing that sold very well for me was geraniums, but hardy geraniums. I had gallons of Katrina in bloom and they always sold out at market. I have several hardy geraniums and they all do well, growing and selling. I find people are getting into perennials more. We all plant some favorite annuals and fillers, but more people want plants that are hardy.
    tennessee sue

Sue,

I can understand the perennial thing... I swing from perennials to annuals. This year, I didn't do as many annuals as I would like. I just did the ones that I wanted to grow for more seeds.

Every year, I tell myself that I need more perennials. I don't think I will ever have enough. I have several gingers that I have added to my collection of varieties, and I have been extremely pleased with the foliage, but haven't seen blooms yet. I may not, this year, since they were purchased as 'bulbs' and planted in pots. Most are hardy, so this winter they will make their way into the border.

I also have quite a few new varieties of dwarf canna. I like these because they do not dominate and spread so fast. However, many are still in pots and doing fine. They will find a spot in one of many flooding areas of the border (along the fence).

I'm trying so very hard to stay away from tender sub-tropicals with the exceptions of my favorites that are hard to find. Angelonia is usually easy to find and not that expensive. Datura can be started early from seed.

Echinacea does not flourish here as it does in cooler areas (or maybe it is the excessive heavy rains). Actually, I think it is the heat. They seem to do better in pots in filtered shade than they do in full sun in the ground.

Hardy hibiscus is a joy, but the grasshoppers seem to be attacted to some of the varieties. I will not give up though.

Stokes Aster (several varieties) do great, but candy lilies seem to be short lived. The latter produces so many seeds, and bloom so quick from seed that I am seriously considering letting them just self seed.

There are so many perennials that my friends in cooler areas grow with no problems that simply do not like our heat and humidity. I find that some of those do well when protected from noon sun.

Oh, and then there are the 'invasive' annuals like cypress vine. One seems to have seeded itself in my 'mailbox' bed, and believe me, I am not complaining. It actually looks quite nice. The only problem is that it self seeds like crazy. I'm not going to complain, though. This is a small bed, so mowing will get rid of the excess. Besides, I see them growing wild all over my area of the city, and they always look pretty.

Sue, let me know when you are ready for your purple Lady Banks. It has firmly rooted into the ground, and it is the one plant that my DH knows that he dare not pull up and move. I have simply stated that 'this' is a special plant for my friend, Sue. Now, if it were a rooted cutting for my Mom, he would yank it up, knowing I would make her another, but being for 'Sue', he carefully moves the canes so that he can mow around it. No questions asked, it is treated very special for my friend Sue.
    Ann B.
    Zone 9a
    Gulf Coast

Ann, Thank you so much for taking care of the Lady Banks for me. I lost my yellow one when I moved. I think he let it die. So I will be especially proud of my purple one. You truly are a friend. And thank DH for me.
    I am ready anytime, I have a special place picked out for it.
    Thank you so much. Come spring I'll let you know what I have and see if I have anything yoiu might need Or want if you are like me and I know we all want everything new we see.
    tennessee sue

+ Reply to Thread